Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Peckmania
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2022, 9:41 pm

Hello Everyone!

This is my first time really being on any kind of forum. I haven't been much of a social media user, but I need to connect with others like me.

I just recently discovered that I'm autistic when I was trying to get information regarding my autistic son.
I had been watching You Tube videos from "Asperger's on the Inside" had 25 questions to ask yourself if you think you're autistic. I can't begin to describe how astonished I was to relate to 23 of them. I'm probably going to seek a formal diagnosis because I want to talk to somebody who's an expert.

The really mind blowing thing that's hard to process is the fact that I've been covering this up my entire life. I'd always been very conflict avoidant and I realized a while back that I had a fear of being found out. That something inside of me would be exposed. But I didn't know what that something was! People often seem to think that I was hiding something or not telling the truth. And I was I just didn't know it. Now I wish I had been found out sooner. I guess my mask did its job.

I already feel a difference. For the first time, I have an identity with some framework, some context. An identity that isn't some kind of adaptive mask or criticism from NT's (i.e. jokester, stoner, quiet, people pleaser, nice guy, fake, unmotivated, underachiever).

I've also been experiencing a new flood of emotions that I must have been hiding from myself. I'm much more aware of my loneliness and my guilt and the negative view I have of myself. Nicotine, weed, and alcohol had been part of my mask. Then I would lie to cover it up. I feel like maybe now I might be able to cut way back on those things because now I have a better idea of where my weird thoughts come from.

Heh. After 43 years of being an alien on this planet for the first time I know what type of people are my type of people.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:57 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you enjoy the company of your fellow aliens.

A number of us have indicated that their diagnosis made them happy...because it explained so much. Though, I suppose, for younger folk it might be a warning of problems you'll have to get past, I think for older folk it is an explanation for all of the problems you did get past.

When I decided I wanted a formal diagnosis I started by checking my health insurance coverage. It turned out I had some coverage for "mental health" and an Adult Autism Assessment fell within that. When I contacted my insurance company they were immediately willing to help and they quickly sent me a referral.

That's when things got sloppy. I don't think they get many claims for Adult Autism Assessments so, even though they wanted to help, they didn't know how. The referral was worthless, they did not do assessments. Then my insurance company suggested some other providers who were also unsuitable. Then they gave me bad information which added months to my search for an assessment.

It turns out you just need a licensed psychologist. My insurance company incorrectly said they also needed ABA certification...but that is for mistreatment, not assessment.

When I finally knew what I was looking for I found this link very useful. I didn't see any indication that any of them did Adult Autism Assessments but I figure they didn't advertise that because there wasn't much business there. I looked for conveniently-located psychologists who worked with Autistics and with people my age. And, from those, I used a phone to find one willing to do an Adult Autism Assessment.

So, my recommendations are: check with your insurance-provider, scrupulously follow their procedures, assume they don't know what they are talking about...and buy some champagne when you get the diagnosis!

And I realize you might not be at the starting line on the process, but rather well through it, but even if you don't need my recommendations maybe some other reader will benefit from them.

And, again, Welcome!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 5:06 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I hope you are able to meet your goal and find out more about what makes you tick. And how to grow and become a better you.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 7:07 am

Welcome!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 2:03 pm

amazing how a new perspective can suddenly click. what a relief to find out the answer to almost all the painful struggles, events and "whys" of the past. Diagnosis as an adult can be life changing. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson