Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 10:18 am

-Vorzac- wrote:
Erm, guys? you realise that healthcare is free in the UK, right? (Admittedly it is the NHS, and you still have to pay for perscriptions.)

Obviously a misnomer. Nothing is "free"; in this case it's supported through taxpayer 'contributions'. :?

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 3:45 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
at least I can site documentation and names, dates and situations, not just give vague answers of personal anecdotes and defy others to prove this vagueness incorrect.
Documetation of what? What we are arguing is subjective. We are arguing whether it is better to have the situation that exists in the US or the one in Canada. One could cite positives and negatives in both systems. It comes down to the subjective value decisions that people who have experienced them both make. I have spoken to such people who have no connection with either the medical world or the government. They just know what they faced in other countries and what family members continue to face, and they know what happens here.

It is not an issue of data or documentation. It is an issue of human experience.

AutisticOne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2007, 5:57 pm

Hey SinsBoldly. I have an unpreventable chronic illness, that I was born with. That is a big difference from a decadent swine like Moore, whose disgusting lifestyle is responsible for his horrid health. I only wish changes in my lifestyle could cure my problems. Are you gonna compare fat people to people with autism too? If the obesity level in this country was halved, it would do wonders for our healthcare system. It would also allow us to focus on diseases that one doesnt have any control over whether they get it or not.

But thank you for working, and therefore allowing me to lay around the house all day getting high. You wouldnt have it any other way, right? :D

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2007, 1:20 pm

UncleBeer wrote:
-Vorzac- wrote:
Erm, guys? you realise that healthcare is free in the UK, right? (Admittedly it is the NHS, and you still have to pay for perscriptions.)

Obviously a misnomer. Nothing is "free"; in this case it's supported through taxpayer 'contributions'. :?

I don't pay taxes, ergo it's currently free for me. As a matter of fact, I live off of other people's taxes.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 2:11 pm

-Vorzac- wrote:
UncleBeer wrote:
-Vorzac- wrote:

I don't pay taxes, ergo it's currently free for me. As a matter of fact, I live off of other people's taxes.

Wow. Hope you're proud of that. :roll:

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2007, 2:30 pm

Excuse me, but is there a reason for you to be so obnoxious?

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 2:42 pm

-Vorzac- wrote:
Excuse me, but is there a reason for you to be so obnoxious?

Oh sorry; didn't see your disclaimer:
Quote:
WARNING: May contain Troll.

I guess (by your own admission) you post crap merely to elicit reactions. Nice. :?

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2007, 2:44 pm

not to elicit a reaction, but I'm not the one pissing on someone else's misfortunes when I'M JUST TRYING TO MAKE A POINT

(edited for pedantry)

Last edited by -Vorzac- on 07 Aug 2007, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2007, 3:02 pm

Actually, don't bother answering that. My initial offense has passed and now I couldn't give a s**t what your reasoning is.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:04 pm

-Vorzac- wrote:
...not to illicit a reaction ...

Surely not the word you meant to use...

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2007, 3:17 pm

Congratulations for picking me up for getting a few letters wrong, well done for being so observant and resorting to good ol' fashioned Ad Hominem techniques.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 12:04 pm

wiggerbeater wrote:
lol. you jackass. Why even bother asking then? The government will pay for your healthcare if you cant afford it. Ive been through it first-hand. I was one of the uninsured, no health coverage at all. All you have to do is go down to your local social service office, and go through a 2 hour interview. Most people are too lazy or ignorant to do that. Almost all medical centers offer sliding fees now too.

Well, it can depend as well on what side of it you are coming from. In some cases, yes, you can get medical insurance, but remember every state is also different. For example, in Missouri there was a boy on medicaid turned down for an MRI and he has epilepsy... his mother could not afford his medicines, so he had to remain off of it and was hospitalized due to it. I met her while my own daughter was in the hospital. They told me there was more that they could do for her, but medicaid would not cover it, same as they have told me about my chronic kidney infections many many times.

My old doctor used to say "there is more we *could* do, but none of it is covered by medicaid. Your kidneys could fail at any time, and I can do very little to help besides keep you on amoxicillan always." They were so bad at one time that my doctor would do a UA every single time I walked into her office, and she was scheduling my appointments once a week just to keep an eye on things.

In my area right now, I have a choice of 2 doctors that will accept it. One of the doctors doesn't listen to what is going on with me, and I can literally pick a random medicine name out of a hat and not explain why I need it-he will write up a prescription for me for it immediately and that's it for the appointment. The other told me to stop coming back in when I had been in the emergency room for 7 hours waiting to be seen while having panick attacks the entire time, because I was finally being seen at the time I was supposed to be in his office.

For areas that have decent doctors, or more to choose from, then yes, it is better most likely. DFS has recently told me that my medical costs are too much, and have denied me any medicaid. So I have absolutely nothing at the moment.

I've had Canadians tell me that in this case, I would most likely be better off moving to Canada or some place for some sort of healthcare, and Americans who say the same of course. My mother thinks that idea is completely bogus, even though she's watched me rolling pennies for a few months now, just trying to scrape together $32.50 for my assessment so that I can get some sort of help while in college, and doing the same for my son and daughter as well.

I don't blame her at all-she has good healthcare through her insurance, but she has also never been diagnosed with any form of autism, which she has asked her insurance company about and of course they won't tell her flat out that I wouldn't be approved through them, but they hint plenty for her to know I cannot get it. She still insists things are great, simply because her insurance is wonderful.

I'm my own guinea pig.