Getting haircut+shaved helped ... Now I am pissed

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:17 am

Look like a chav; get treated like a chav.

Look posh; get treated posh.

That is just simple human nature.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:40 am

Fnord wrote:
Look like a chav; get treated like a chav.

Look posh; get treated posh.

That is just simple human nature.

I guess the question is why do chavs look different from poshs to begin with.

Logically, dressing well is all about self interest. Are you saying that poshs have more self interest than chavs? If so, why?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:49 am

lol you're the master of overanalysing.

Dishevelled people look crazy, crazy people are unpredictable , sometimes even dangerous. It's not a huge leap to just avoid them.

Chavs are different, they groom themselves and wear trendy tracksuits...they try to look menacing on purpose.

Last edited by klanka on 26 May 2022, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:50 am

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Look like a chav; get treated like a chav.  Look posh; get treated posh.  That is just simple human nature.
This is just a guess, but it is probably because they want to.
QFT wrote:
Logically, dressing well is all about self interest. Are you saying that poshs have more self interest than chavs? If so, why?
I am saying no such thing.  I am saying that people treat you based on your appearance.  People who appear respectable get treated with respect.  People who look like crap get treated like crap.  It is human nature and cannot be changed.  Deal with it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:10 am

We have "chav-like" people in the US----but no "chavs," per se.

Just like we have "gopnik-like" people in the US---but no "gopniks." Gopniks are a Slavic institution.

The UK chavs are usually clean people----They, at least 10-15 years ago, liked to dress in Tommy Hilfiger-type clothes, and to have a "Caesar" haircut

I sense that the OP wants to be sort of a "bohemian"-type character while being in the sciences. I wouldn't make it as a "bohemian," especially if I don't take showers. My skin starts to itch, and my eyes start to burn, if I wait 24 hours or more before my next shower.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 26 May 2022, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:13 am

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Look like a chav; get treated like a chav.  Look posh; get treated posh.  That is just simple human nature.

And why do they want to? Do they want to be treated poorly? If so, why?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:15 am

I realized, maybe at around 21, that it is useless to ponder such questions.....when I can be taking the "pondering" time to take my shower and shave.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:18 am

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Probably because they are too stupid to realize that how they look has a direct bearing on how they are treated.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We have "chav-like" people in the US----but no "chavs," per se.

Just like we have "gopnik-like" people in the US---but no "gopniks." Gopniks are a Slavic institution.

Actually I haven’t heard of chavs up until reading his response and googling the word.

But the bigger question is this. Are you saying that there are subcultures where is it fashionable to dress poorly, and those same subcultures are criminal?

If so, then the “logical purpose” of dressing poorly would be to attract people from those subcultures. And people would assume that’s what I am doing.

But of course all of it is just my theorizing. What is your theory?

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sense that the OP wants to be sort of a "bohemian"-type character while being in the sciences.

No, I am just too lazy, too in a hurry, etc.

My discussion about cultures is just an attempt to make a logical sense of why I am treated poorly.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn't make it as a "bohemian," especially if I don't take showers. My skin starts to itch, and my eyes start to burn, if I wait 24 hours or more before my next shower.

In my case that’s not the case.

Although it’s true that when I start taking showers I notice I feel clean, and if I take them for a while and then stop, I feel dirty. So not taking them and not noticing anything is due to my senses adjusting to my being dirty.

Still, though, I won’t feel anything as concrete as itchy skin or burning eyes. Do you think it’s the flip side of sensory issues autistics have. I read that some autistics have a combination of over-sensitivity and under-sensitivity. Could it be that in my case it is exclusively the latter, without the former?

Now, going back to the question of other people. I read that there were some studies that people with Conduct Disorder have slightly higher electric resistance of their skin. Could it also be that such people have under-sensitivities too? If so, that would be one theory as to why criminal minded people are more likely to be unkept.

Last edited by QFT on 26 May 2022, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:34 am

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Probably because they are too stupid to realize that how they look has a direct bearing on how they are treated.

But then the statistical correlation should be between a dress and intelligence rather than dress and behavior. It’s not necessarily true that less intelligent people behave poorly: what about learning disabilities?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:43 am

With the same access to showers as non-criminals, and while not suffering from a mental illness where personal grooming is affected, criminals tend to be as clean as non-criminals.

People who don’t take showers usually are people with little or no access to showers. Or there are some with mental illness, or sensory difficulties….and even a few who just don’t want to be bothered, are “rushed,” etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:46 am

There is the possibility that an intelligent person might be abstract-minded, and find an emphasis on personal grooming to be beneath their dignity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:47 am

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
But then the statistical correlation should be between a dress and intelligence rather than dress and behavior. It’s not necessarily true that less intelligent people behave poorly: what about learning disabilities?
WHY people choose their appearances is irrelevant.  The fact that your appearance influences how others treat you is all that matters.  Look respectable and you will be respected.  Simple human nature.  Stop trying to analyze it and just accept it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:50 am

Trotsky did okay…in his time.

Somebody looking like Trotsky today would stand out like a sore thumb.

Lenin, on the other hand, was very well-groomed.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:56 am

QFT wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Anyway, while judging by the looks can be unfair in many cases, in many others it's only common sense, especially in s country like the USA where anyone could have a gun. People who avoid suspicious looking people aren't doing it to be shallow, they just try to play it safe.

The question is: why should there be a correlation between looks and behavior? Putting different clothes doesn't magically make me a better person.

Because there often is, so people will trust the statistics rather than take a chance. Most people know that not everyone who looks messy is dangerous, but unless they know the particular messy person approaching them, they can't know if they're trouble or not. This will result in to them thinking about statistics; what are the chances that this person is trouble? Statistically, drug users and the like are more likelier to be messy than not, so statistically, a messy person is likely to be trouble. This is why I wouldn't blame anyone for changing the side of the street if they came across a messy looking person.

As an example: my dad is harmless. He tends to look messy with his messy clothes and often poorly groomed beard, not to mention he's big, so I wouldn't blame anyone who'd want to cross the street when coming across him. I too would be wary if I came across a man who looked like him who I didn't know. Not everyone who looks like trouble is trouble, but if the options are to a) play it safe and potentially hurt someone's feelings and b) not play it safe and potentially get hurt myself, I'd choose a). And from what I've understood, so would you.

Quote:
As far as people not wanting to deal with homeless, I am on the same page because there are plenty of homeless where I am and I avoid them. And yes I remember how people assumed I was homeless and I got super angry at them.

But here is the thing. I have been unkept ever since moving out of my moms place at 21, but I first noticed people assuming I was homeless at the age of 34. Basically I went to India when I was 29 to do postdocs and returned back to the US at 34. So when I came back to the US from India, that’s when I noticed the first time that some people assumed I was homeless. Yet they avoided me ever since I was 21.

So are you saying that people assumed I was homeless back when I was in my 20-s, too, I just haven’t realized that?

Or if they didn’t assume that, what would be the other explanation why my being unkept drove them away? I mean the logic is unkept ==> homeless ==> unsafe. So if we take the middle piece out, then the first and third won’t be connected. So how did they say unkept ==>unsafe without inserting the homeless part in the middle?

It could be due to:

1. A young person, like you in your twenties, might be simply seen as lacking life skills, and thus doesn't come across as being homeless as easily as an older person who would be expected to have learned life skills already. However, a smelly and messy person is still unpleasant to be around, which explains why people would avoid you even if they don't think you're homeless.

2. People did think you were homeless when you were in your twenties, but just never said it to your face.

Or something else, but these came to mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:05 am

These days, unlike in the old days, if a person walks around looking dirty and disheveled, and has hair like Trotsky, that person would be thought of as being "mentally ill."