How should I respond to this problem with my bosses dog?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:52 pm

My boss brings his dog to work with him and we work in an office/cubicle environment.

The dog constantly craps all over including under my desk for some reason. But it's gotten to the point where even though the boss cleans it up, the office smells like a sespool of dog crap all the time more or less, even during lunch. When we bring this up to the boss before, his only response is, "but he's so cute!", or other similar responses.

What do you think if this or am I overreacting in not liking this at all?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:53 pm

Make an anonymous call to your local Health Department, citing unsanitary working conditions.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:00 pm

I'm assuming this is a puppy (since it is defecating indoors), and yes its not a pleasant situation. Since the dog belongs to the boss, there isn't much you can do. You have 3 options, 1. Be patient, puppies don't stay puppies forever so the situation should resolve itself soon. 2. Tell the boss the carpet/floors need cleaning. 3. If the situation becomes absolutely intolerable, you can find another position.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:01 pm

Um, it's not really appropriate to have a dog in the workplace like that - especially if he craps indoors like that. Sounds disobedient and not house trained at all. It's a health hazard in the workplace and a distraction, and not everyone likes dogs. And "but he's so cute" is not a valid reason. If there's absolutely no way the dog can be left at home during the day then why have the dog in the first place? Why not get a cat if they want a pet they can leave at home?

No, you are not overreacting. An office isn't really a suitable environment for a dog, and a dog isn't really a suitable place for an office environment (or most other workplaces for that matter).

He may be the boss but there must be people above him that wouldn't allow this to go on.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
Make an anonymous call to your local Health Department, citing unsanitary working conditions.

That will generally take anywhere from 3 months to a year to investigate (if they do at all). More likely workers, will be told to clean it up. (that was the case were I was working and there was a problem with transients using the stairwells at toilets)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:17 pm

DanielW wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That will generally take anywhere from 3 months to a year to investigate (if they do at all). More likely workers, will be told to clean it up. (that was the case were I was working and there was a problem with transients using the stairwells at toilets)
The options you stated were essentially:

1. Wait for the little dog to become a big dog (and make bigger messes).

2. Point out the obvious situation to someone who is trying to ignore it, while waiting for the little dog to become a big dog (and make bigger messes).

3. Do nothing to change the situation.

Whose side are you on, anyway?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:30 pm

Fnord wrote:

2. Point out the obvious situation to someone who is trying to ignore it, while waiting for the little dog to become a big dog (and make bigger messes).

Whose side are you on, anyway?[/color]

Perhaps you are unaware that as dogs mature, they generally learn to go outside relieve themselves? and No, dogs do not make bigger and bigger messes as they age. that's nonsense.

And yes, the boss needs to know that the floors need better cleaning than they are getting - this to should be readily apparent even to you.

As to your own point about reporting it anonymously? yeah those calls get priority for sure along with calls from little old ladies with too much time on their hands

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:37 pm

DanielW wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Whose side are you on, anyway?
Perhaps you are unaware that as dogs mature, they generally learn to go outside relieve themselves? and No, dogs do not make bigger and bigger messes as they age. that's nonsense.
Have you really never raised a puppy?  Their messes grow proportionately with their body size.  Also, they go outside only when taken outside, which obviously the boss is not doing.  The dog is being raised to believe that the carpet is the proper place to do his business.
DanielW wrote:
And yes, the boss needs to know that the floors need better cleaning than they are getting - this to should be readily apparent even to you.
It does not seem possible that the boss would be unaware that the carpets need cleaning when the smell alone is causing his employees discomfort.
DanielW wrote:
As to your own point about reporting it anonymously? Yeah those calls get priority for sure along with calls from little old ladies with too much time on their hands
Evidence, please?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:42 pm

ironpony wrote:
How should I respond to this problem with my bosses dog?
In addition to making the aforementioned call, send to the Health Department videos of the dog "doing his business" and pictures of the results.  If that seems ineffective, then you might have better success with involving a local news outlet.

Or maybe take an afternoon off to go to the emergency room complaining of headache and nausea, and explain why to the doctors and nurses there.  The Health Department is more likely to act sooner and with greater interest than with only your say-so.

You may still lose your job, but at least the employer will suffer for it.

Last edited by Fnord on 24 May 2022, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:46 pm

Iron Pony,
I thought that you worked at a greenhouse and you are dating your boss?

I remember your job interview last year when you sprained your ankle.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:39 pm

ironpony wrote:
My boss brings his dog to work with him and we work in an office/cubicle environment.

The dog constantly craps all over including under my desk for some reason. But it's gotten to the point where even though the boss cleans it up, the office smells like a sespool of dog crap all the time more or less, even during lunch. When we bring this up to the boss before, his only response is, "but he's so cute!", or other similar responses.

What do you think if this or am I overreacting in not liking this at all?

Tell your boss it's not cute because you just associate the dog with being forced to smell dog s**t all day. It's not cute, it's unhygienic and revolting.

I'd also tie it up outside, or not tie it up depending on how charitable I was feeling at the moment.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 11:55 pm

Well as far as tying the dog up goes, I don't want to get fired. Actually I'm not dog expert but this dog looks old and I asked a co-worker and she says definitely at least 12 years.

I think the boss uses the 'he's so cute!' method as a way to skirt the issue. There is no one higher to complain to since he does literally own the company and it's his.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 4:15 am

Things must be different in the USA or Canada then, because here in the UK it would be unreasonable to have a dog in the workplace like that all day, even if the boss owned the place. Over here there is always someone higher than the boss/owner, and we're big on health and safety.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:05 pm

Oh well the boss has been fined by the health and safety board for other matters but all they do is fine him and he just pays the fine and goes back to doing what he wants.

After this has has happened a few times, I lost faith in the health and safety organization, because they only toss out consequences that an employer can afford to keep paying.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:09 pm

I believe IronPony is dating a supervisor who is not his direct supervisor.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:34 pm

Oh well she got a new job and doesn't work there anymore.