Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aspiretobeme26
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2022, 3:28 pm

Hello everyone lately I’ve been having a major issue . So I’m 25, not on my own yet, My family thinks I have many friends but I do not no one talks to me on Facebook or Instagram. I have lived in the Midwest my whole life and I don’t have a single friend who has aspergers or autism. I have joined two groups but that doesn’t satisfy me because those groups are only twice a month. What should I do? I have a case manager but she doesn’t know what to do herself.

I know there’s a few organizations out there like the autism society or the arc but I don’t know if
They can help me get connected to others.

Seems like I had more friends in hs. I also revealed this issue to my therapist but she just recommends going to the two groups I go to

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 2:42 pm

I made my best friends through shared interests.
What things do you like? What activities do you like to do?
I joined Facebook groups for the interests I had and met people online, spent time sharing information and ideas, talking online with them on those pages. After a while some of us decided to meet to share an activity related to our interest, and although I did not enjoy the company of many of the people who showed up, I did find a few I did enjoy, and we continue to meet, one or a few of us at a time to do activities about our interests together.

I learned a while back that I had the wrong idea about what a friend really is. I learned that I had too many expectations and made too many unrealistic demands.

I have got better insights with life experience. ( I am 70 now)

I have 3 lifelong deep friendships and I think I am very lucky to have had them.

We all live very far away, but keep in touch with phone calls or emails, or even letter writing.

We can not expect others to fill an empty spot in ourselves, but we need to learn to care enough about ourselves to give ourselves the things we really need.
Self care always first, find things that you think are fun and interesting to do by yourself, and you will see that others soon want to share that fun with you. Best wishes.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

anakula
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2022, 9:34 pm

I have found in the past and now too that joining groups via Meetup.com is a great way to meet people of similar interests… and you can engage with the people to however much or little you like.