Page 14 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
There were no locks inside and they did not have a key in the classroom to lock the door from the inside, she said.

This is why our schools teach with the classroom doorknobs locked, even when doors are ajar. The idea is that if a student is closer to the door for lockdown or if the teacher isn't available, they can lock the door just by closing it.

There are some drawbacks I suppose, like if the shooter gets in the room somehow and locks the police out, but overall I think it's still a smart procedure.

Teachers here also have to shut curtains and even stick posters over the classroom windows, time permitting.
The classroom door windows always need to be covered with paper.

What a bloody shame that they were otherwise so well prepared with their drills.

Ours are all kept locked, as well. I work in a school, the front is the main entry and there is a waiting area where you must also be buzzed in. So, two locked doors must be bypassed to access kids. There are many doors throughout, all locked outside, but able to open from the inside. And, our classroom doors are kept locked. Windows are double panes (more for hurricanes), and door windows have blackout shades. When we practice lockdowns, which we do often, we run to the bathroom area where we are unable to been seen through any windows. Doors are heavy... But, I live in Florida which has no shortage of whack jobs. And the school is in a bad neighborhood, gunshots are frequent.

The problem is in small town, country schools. You can just walk right in. They still believe they are relatively safe, because everybody knows everyone.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:25 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
(...) a situation where 1/2 of the US population's non-compliance is supported by the constitution.
But abortion rights were constitutional rights too - until suddenly (if Roe v Wade is struck down, as seems likely) they aren't.
There's a clue in the name: "The Second Amendment". If that's a second tweak, why can't there be another which addresses this historical anomaly? :scratch:

Quote:
So, since we must work with what we have to hand, what is a viable solution? I don't have one
I don't have one either, but I think posting armed guards at every entrance would be a disaster for a school's liability insurance.

There's another aspect: why should schoolkids, toddlers, have to be taught how to hide from a crazy person with a gun? Or file past a burly armed officer?
When did any of this become acceptable?

I don't think a pregnant lady is going to kill the offender with her belly. In short, a poor pregnant lady doesn't have the clout to defend her constitutional right to an abortion because she's relying on the tax payers to pay for it. Gun owners aren't asking for the government to foot the bill for their right to bear arms. In fact, that right is padding many pockets. Abortion isn't... It's a money pit, with questionable ethical uses for the fetus ( here, we'll kill this brand new life and harvest cells so this other person can keep on living ).

You get stuck on what's fair. The US doesn't give a s**t about what's fair, so back to my original question.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:29 pm

Brictoria wrote:
In 1968, 50% of households had a gun, compared to 42% last year[1], so in theory if the availability of guns was the cause, we should be seeing less mass shootings now than occurred in 1968.

Presumably, the decision to disarm the civilian population of the world hadn't been implimented at that time.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:35 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I will tell you where the deep state is located, way up Tucker Carlsons anus.

Assuming you are correct, and I am not convinced you are, it is a place I doubt I would visit. 8O
But I am against covert power groups wherever they are, having been a victim of them myself.
I am very tempted to make a joke, but have restrained myself. Just call me "anal", here. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:51 pm

Perhaps it is a bit of a tangent to the topic.

My attitude about the general public owning guns is affected by having family members successfully employ guns to prevent themselves from becoming crime victims.

Personally speaking, I still don't think military-style assault rifles are necessary.
Perhaps if Trump had actually made a coup and overthrew the Government, but that is highly unlikely these days.
Perhaps a compromise of handguns and non SLRs?

Here in Australia, semiautomatic rifles were made illegal.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:56 pm

Man with rifle shot dead by police outside a Toronto school today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6466880

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:02 pm

Column: America’s gun violence problem won’t be solved until firearm owners finally understand it must be
By George SkeltonCapitol Journal Columnist
May 26, 2022 5 AM PT

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... un-control

"
... What we desperately need is something that seems beyond reach. And that’s for the two sides to agree there’s an intolerable problem. Then they need to negotiate and decide what to do about it.

It’s called compromise, an American concept even older than the awkwardly written 2nd Amendment.

Look, politicians have been railing about the proliferation of gun violence for a very long time. And gun murders have been escalating to the nation’s embarrassment.

The problem won’t be solved until firearms owners finally understand that it must be solved and compromise with gun control advocates — then give the politicians permission to act.
"

Things can be done to mitigate the problem.
Apart from my suggestion above, there have been calls for designated officers/volunteers to keep vigil at every skool venue.
Costly and intensive, but worth the effort, surely, even if it is only a short term procedure until/if the 2nd amendment is modified.

Raising the age of gun ownership to 25 (when the brain is deemed to be fully mature in most cases) might also reduce the carnage.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Skunk - In regard to your question about the "Deep State" bogeyman being a non-government imperative - - Huh?

You have a brain.
Use it, my friend. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Can this get any worse?

I dunno.
:cry:
The source of evil might take that as a dare.

All these shootings.
All these deaths.
All these wars.
How does this little ball of rock and water not itself collapse under all the pain and heartbreak?

In the early 1990s I read a sci-fi/fantasy novel titled,
Planet of Tears.
Truly this one is.

You can blame the evolutionary process for creating such a flawed human psyche.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:10 pm

Question is, which information is accurate :?:
Looking at news just now it may be a momentary lapse which allowed the shooter in.
Have seen reports that he jumped a fence too.

Where was the armed security guard?

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:21 pm

According to a source, there’s someone at a street corner in my city with a sign that says “hug an AR owner”.

Maybe not the best time for pro-gun activism right now.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
Question is, which information is accurate :?:
Looking at news just now it may be a momentary lapse which allowed the shooter in.
Have seen reports that he jumped a fence too.

Right now while I'm fatigued and hurting on a Thursday evening I do not recall whether reports have absolutely confirmed there was an armed guard on the property; I do recall that there is reported conflict about where law enforcement was and when they arrived and what points they arrived to.

The main question is where on the school property would that 1 armed guard be at the exact moment a shooter enters the school property which is roughly a square 800ft, 240m, across?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1989317 ... a=!3m1!1e3

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:32 pm

Pepe wrote:

That question brings to mind this from earlier today in the LA Times,
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... r-security
"
Do schools have campus police officers to protect them?

The general answer is no.

The nation’s second-largest school system, Los Angeles Unified, has had the second-largest police force in the country, but it was always spread thin on a school-by-school basis. Typically, one officer was assigned to a high school and an officer would be split between two middle schools. Elementary schools had roving patrols.

Under recent policy changes, the school system has removed officers from campus and reduced the size of the force, extending the range for the remaining patrol officers.

Why did L.A. Unified and other districts cut or eliminate school police?

The L.A. school board took this step in response to student and community activists who said the presence of police on campus criminalized students, especially Black and Latino students. Activists stepped up their calls to eliminate school police in the wake of the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer two years ago.

A board majority voted to reduce school police funding by 35% and instead directed more funding to campus climate counselors and Black student achievement initiatives. The action was taken without an evaluation of ongoing security needs. Activists continue to pursue the full elimination of the department.

The Oakland Unified school board took the full step of voting to eliminate its small police department by gradually phasing out its operations. In assembling a database, Education Week found that at least 33 districts had eliminated school resource officers, out of about 17,000 school districts nationwide.

Most school systems do not have a police force at all. But many contract with the local city or sheriff for services and a police presence on campus. And some city police departments assign officers with a special focus on schools. Many schools also rely on unarmed security aides.

How have school leaders responded in the wake of the shooting?

L.A. schools Supt. Alberto Carvalho said his district has been a leader in safety measures and that district schools are notably safe. But he nonetheless convened a cabinet meeting in the wake of the Texas shooting.

Officials discussed how to make school perimeters more secure and further limiting the number of entrances at the open and close of the school day.
"

Speaking of school perimeters,
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.2001728 ... 384!8i8192

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:31 pm

Pepe wrote:

My attitude about the general public owning guns is affected by having family members successfully employ guns to prevent themselves from becoming crime victims.

Personally speaking, I still don't think military-style assault rifles are necessary.
Perhaps if Trump had actually made a coup and overthrew the Government, but that is highly unlikely these days.

I have never found the need for one, myself.

The vast majority of people who own them do not shoot up schools and the people who get them for that purpose are using that to their advantage. The owners of most all of these military style assault rifles feel they are preparing for the need to protect themselves and their families, in the event the government turns the military on them. You may say this sounds ridiculous, but history has shown that this is possible. Is it probable? I hope not, I don't own one. However, given the political climate on both sides, I don't blame them. Just on this site the venom is palpable among certain members, with both absolutely convinced that they are in the right.

The government could try and outlaw these guns, but ours is a gun culture. Any attempt to do that would be considered an act of civil war and so many people would die here. The far left are delusional enough to believe it would only be the gun nuts that would be targeted, they're wrong. There would be so much collateral damage.

We must look to our armed citizens who aren't nuts to help protect our children. Because while they might not be certifiable nuts, they are crazy enough to be a match for the real nuts who shoot up schools.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:09 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Skunk - In regard to your question about the "Deep State" bogeyman being a non-government imperative - - Huh?

You have a brain.
Use it, my friend. ;)

Why don't you just go ahead and tell me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:16 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I have never found the need for one, myself.

The vast majority of people who own them do not shoot up schools and the people who get them for that purpose are using that to their advantage. The owners of most all of these military style assault rifles feel they are preparing for the need to protect themselves and their families, in the event the government turns the military on them. You may say this sounds ridiculous, but history has shown that this is possible. Is it probable? I hope not, I don't own one. However, given the political climate on both sides, I don't blame them. Just on this site the venom is palpable among certain members, with both absolutely convinced that they are in the right.

The government could try and outlaw these guns, but ours is a gun culture. Any attempt to do that would be considered an act of civil war and so many people would die here. The far left are delusional enough to believe it would only be the gun nuts that would be targeted, they're wrong. There would be so much collateral damage.

We must look to our armed citizens who aren't nuts to help protect our children. Because while they might not be certifiable nuts, they are crazy enough to be a match for the real nuts who shoot up schools.

Defend and empower voting rights, and there won't be a need to fight the military. There definitely is a connection.
Even though a certain political party makes a big show of defending gun rights, they have been making voting rights harder for minorities.