Page 19 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 3:00 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What racial slurs were hurled? Uncle Tom? That's hardly a racial slur than it is an attack on the character of someone like Elder, a man who's constantly stood against anti-racist programs.
By the way, congressional Republicans refused to condemn the racist Replacement Theory for fear it would "demonize conservatives." That's considerably more offensive than calling a black conservative an Uncle Tom.

From memory, it was decided (on WP) that "Uncle Tom" shouldn't be used.

Still, it's hardly the N word.

So, there's a graduated level of race-based remarks, where certain derogatory race-related terms are "OK" to you?

Here's an interesting article on the subject from a person who has been the vicitm of both which may help you understand.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2022, 3:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Here's something that might help explain how someone becomes a mass shooter:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/really-consi ... 45896.html

Quote:
POLITICO: You’ve written about how mass shootings are always acts of violent suicide. Do people realize this is what’s happening in mass shootings?

Peterson: I don’t think most people realize that these are suicides, in addition to homicides. Mass shooters design these to be their final acts. When you realize this, it completely flips the idea that someone with a gun on the scene is going to deter this. If anything, that’s an incentive for these individuals. They are going in to be killed.

It’s hard to focus on the suicide because these are horrific homicides. But it’s a critical piece because we know so much from the suicide prevention world that can translate here.
Looks like mass shooters share it with suicide bombers: they intend to die there, which gives them nothing to lose.
What can they gain? Postmortal publicity, I think. Status after being dead. That's their 72 virgins.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 4:13 am

Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What racial slurs were hurled? Uncle Tom? That's hardly a racial slur than it is an attack on the character of someone like Elder, a man who's constantly stood against anti-racist programs.
By the way, congressional Republicans refused to condemn the racist Replacement Theory for fear it would "demonize conservatives." That's considerably more offensive than calling a black conservative an Uncle Tom.

So, there's a graduated level of race-based remarks, where certain derogatory race-related terms are "OK" to you?

Here's an interesting article on the subject from a person who has been the vicitm of both which may help you understand.

The guy says it was other black people calling him an Uncle Tom. If whites had called him that, you might have an argument that he was actually a victim of racism, but he wasn't.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Perhaps it is a bit of a tangent to the topic.

My attitude about the general public owning guns is affected by having family members successfully employ guns to prevent themselves from becoming crime victims.

Personally speaking, I still don't think military-style assault rifles are necessary.
Perhaps if Trump had actually made a coup and overthrew the Government, but that is highly unlikely these days.
Perhaps a compromise of handguns and non SLRs?

Here in Australia, semiautomatic rifles were made illegal.

I have never found the need for one, myself.

The vast majority of people who own them do not shoot up schools and the people who get them for that purpose are using that to their advantage. The owners of most all of these military style assault rifles feel they are preparing for the need to protect themselves and their families, in the event the government turns the military on them. You may say this sounds ridiculous, but history has shown that this is possible. Is it probable? I hope not, I don't own one. However, given the political climate on both sides, I don't blame them. Just on this site the venom is palpable among certain members, with both absolutely convinced that they are in the right.

The government could try and outlaw these guns, but ours is a gun culture. Any attempt to do that would be considered an act of civil war and so many people would die here. The far left are delusional enough to believe it would only be the gun nuts that would be targeted, they're wrong. There would be so much collateral damage.

We must look to our armed citizens who aren't nuts to help protect our children. Because while they might not be certifiable nuts, they are crazy enough to be a match for the real nuts who shoot up schools.

Defend and empower voting rights, and there won't be a need to fight the military. There definitely is a connection.
Even though a certain political party makes a big show of defending gun rights, they have been making voting rights harder for minorities.

It sounds legitimate, but it's NOT happening NOW. What IS happening NOW? We can wait until your solution comes to pass, but that won't do vulnerable children any good NOW.

Guns have been synonymous with this country's inception, voter rights have not. A woman could shoot the s**t out of someone long before she was given the right to vote. I'm still waiting for someone with an ounce of reality to offer up a viable solution on here. Mine is put armed veterans, citizens (that haven't been in a looney bin, or otherwise impaired) into our schools until a better alternative can be found.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The guy says it was other black people calling him an Uncle Tom. If whites had called him that, you might have an argument that he was actually a victim of racism, but he wasn't.

If you are for 'coming together' as a people, you can't possibly believe that what you're saying is true. If you are for remaining separate, you're going to rationalize any derogatory statement made against another. How about we stop calling anyone anything that draws attention to race and simply say, " X, that was a pretty sh***y thing to do or say as a member of the human race. " Otherwise, you're living in the problem and not the solution.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm wondering why they don't just issue cops in the US with bullet proof vests, Perhaps if one of the frightened children told 9-11 that there was a black man in the school then the cops would be there lightening fast with guns drawn/blazing.

This is complete hogwash. There are plenty of amazing black cops, they aren't going to go in with guns blazing any more or less if the shooter was black.

They do issue bullet proof vests, you can be shot in the head or groin (femoral artery). There's no plan that says, "only shoot in the chest."

The problem with Cops is that they're trying to go home to their families every night, and they are trained not to shoot when a stray bullet could kill someone who is not the target. I'm not saying the response team acted bravely, it sounds like they were slow. What I am saying is that cops are bound by a certain set of training responses in a given situation, shooting fish in a barrel probably isn't on that list. In short, they don't know what the hell to do. That's definitely going to slow their response down. And no parent wants to hear, "I'm sorry, your kid was caught in the crossfire, but the good news is we took down the killer in record time." Which would you have, cops flying in with guns blazing and 50 kids dead, some from friendly fire? Or, 19 dead? It's all bad, but I think it's worth discussing.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

A black person says that being called "uncle..." by black people is as bad (or worse) than being called "n..." by white people.

Your responce is that "If 'whites' called him that, it might be racism"... Not a very convincing argument there.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 10:56 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm wondering why they don't just issue cops in the US with bullet proof vests, Perhaps if one of the frightened children told 9-11 that there was a black man in the school then the cops would be there lightening fast with guns drawn/blazing.

This comment is rather inappropriate.
I don't want it removed.
I want to save it for posterity. :mrgreen:

The person was a POC, btw, wasn't he? :scratch:

Yes as were many of the victims the demographic of the is large majority hispanic. The cops did not go in Parkland where the shooter was a POC in a majority white area.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 11:01 am

Uvalde gunman threatened rapes and school shootings on social media app Yubo in weeks leading up to the massacre, users say

Quote:
Salvador Ramos told girls he would rape them, showed off a rifle he bought, and threatened to shoot up schools in livestreams on the social media app Yubo, according to several users who witnessed the threats in recent weeks.

But those users – all teens – told CNN that they didn’t take him seriously until they saw the news that Ramos had gunned down 19 children and two adults at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, this week.

Three users said they witnessed Ramos threaten to commit sexual violence or carry out school shootings on Yubo, an app that is used by tens of millions of young people around the world.

The users all said they reported Ramos’ account to Yubo over the threats. But it appeared, they said, that Ramos was able to maintain a presence on the platform. CNN reviewed one Yubo direct message in which Ramos allegedly sent a user the $2,000 receipt for his online gun purchase from a Georgia-based firearm manufacturer.

Use of Yubo skyrocketed during the coronavirus pandemic, as teens trapped indoors turned to the app for a semblance of in-person interactions. The company says it has 60 million users around the world – 99% of whom are 25 and younger – and has trumpeted safety features including “second-by-second” monitoring of livestreams using artificial intelligence and human moderators.

Yubo, which is based in Paris, has attracted controversy since it launched in 2015 under the name Yellow, with some local law enforcement officials warning about the possibility of abuse. Police have arrested men in Kentucky, New Jersey and Florida who allegedly used Yubo to meet or exchange sexually explicit messages with kids. Last month, Indiana police investigating the 2017 murder of two teenage girls said they were seeking information about a Yubo user who had solicited nude photos of underage girls on other social media platforms.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 11:22 am

Uncle Tom is a race based slur but not a racist one because it is not a group insult but a personal one

In the un woke world calling somebody a traitor is just as bad if not worse then the other slur.

As far as WP policy if used against another member it would violate the rule against personal attacks. If used against a public figure how would it be different then other very personal insults?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:07 pm

I'm not real impressed with the left wing and I am really not impressed by the right wing;
:evil:
Commentary
Texas Trans girl assaulted over GOP lies about Uvalde shooting
Why was this teen girl assaulted by a grown man she’d never met, harassed by four strangers who could tell she was trans
Published 3 days ago
on May 25, 2022
https://www.losangelesblade.com/2022/05 ... -shooting/
"
By James Finn | DETROIT – “Oh look, it has a dick,” snarled one of four men last night outside an El Paso library where Tracey had just finished her high school homework before heading to the halfway house where she lives because her parents kicked her out for being transgender.

In a phone interview today, Tracey told me the man grabbed her arm and forced her body around to make her look at him, saying “Yeah, you know they’re perverting kids instead of killing them.”

She had no idea what he meant, but she was scared, like she says she usually is on the streets of El Paso these days. “I’m only 17!” she told the man who grabbed her.

Another man said, “Yeah, you know it was one of your sisters who killed those kids. You’re a mental health freak!”

She twisted away and rushed off on her bicycle, stopping to phone the El Paso Police, who refused to take an assault report. Hours later, during a phone session with a Rainbow Youth Project counselor, Tracey heard about false rumors flying around the Internet — that the horrific mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas had been committed by a “transsexual leftist illegal alien.” The rumor was amplified in a big way by Paul Gosar, a dentist and Arizona Republican Congressmember who styles himself a doctor on Twitter.
"
"
Let’s talk about scapegoating

Tracey doesn’t want to hang up when I’m ready to start writing this article, but I need to focus, to ask myself why this teen girl with a soft Texas accent got assaulted last night by a grown man she’d never met, harrassed by four strangers in their early 20s to late 30s who could tell she was trans and wanted to blame child killings on that.

Look, the U.S. has an epidemic of mass shootings going on. We must confront that together as a nation. So, how about we stop the scapegoating? I don’t know what’s happened to Republican leadership, why they won’t face up to gun violence, but I can see something clearly. They keep demonizing LGBTQ people. Because that’s apparently easier than tackling tough problems.

And last night? That scapegoating terrified a teen girl just trying to ride home on her bike.

How about we knock it off? How about we leave people like Tracey alone? How about we tell Paul Gosar to do his real job instead of stirring up hate? How about we stand up for people who aren’t hurting anyone?
"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:13 pm

The copycat phenomena?
Fear and anxiety on overdrive?
All of the above?

Unknown man tried to enter Fresno elementary school campus by cutting a hole in a fence
By Carmen Kohlruss
Updated May 27, 2022 4:45 PM
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/cr ... 70320.html
"
Uribe said it’s unknown how the fence was cut by the suspect, described as a white adult male of an unknown age.

One parent of a Figarden Elementary School student, who asked not to be identified for fear of repercussions from the school, said they were told by school staff that the suspect was carrying a duffel bag and backpack, did not appear to be homeless, and was scared off by some school staff members.

Uribe said the police report doesn’t note a duffel bag or backpack on the suspect, and that he didn’t immediately have additional details on Friday afternoon about who police interviewed.

The elementary school was not locked down on Thursday as the hole in the fence was being repaired – although school staff reportedly watched the hole be repaired. A school open house event – the first since the COVID-19 pandemic began – went on as planned that evening, reportedly with a commitment from police to provide extra patrols. Uribe said he had no way to confirm there were extra patrols there.
"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:08 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Perhaps it is a bit of a tangent to the topic.

My attitude about the general public owning guns is affected by having family members successfully employ guns to prevent themselves from becoming crime victims.

Personally speaking, I still don't think military-style assault rifles are necessary.
Perhaps if Trump had actually made a coup and overthrew the Government, but that is highly unlikely these days.
Perhaps a compromise of handguns and non SLRs?

Here in Australia, semiautomatic rifles were made illegal.

I have never found the need for one, myself.

The vast majority of people who own them do not shoot up schools and the people who get them for that purpose are using that to their advantage. The owners of most all of these military style assault rifles feel they are preparing for the need to protect themselves and their families, in the event the government turns the military on them. You may say this sounds ridiculous, but history has shown that this is possible. Is it probable? I hope not, I don't own one. However, given the political climate on both sides, I don't blame them. Just on this site the venom is palpable among certain members, with both absolutely convinced that they are in the right.

The government could try and outlaw these guns, but ours is a gun culture. Any attempt to do that would be considered an act of civil war and so many people would die here. The far left are delusional enough to believe it would only be the gun nuts that would be targeted, they're wrong. There would be so much collateral damage.

We must look to our armed citizens who aren't nuts to help protect our children. Because while they might not be certifiable nuts, they are crazy enough to be a match for the real nuts who shoot up schools.

Defend and empower voting rights, and there won't be a need to fight the military. There definitely is a connection.
Even though a certain political party makes a big show of defending gun rights, they have been making voting rights harder for minorities.

It sounds legitimate, but it's NOT happening NOW. What IS happening NOW? We can wait until your solution comes to pass, but that won't do vulnerable children any good NOW.

Guns have been synonymous with this country's inception, voter rights have not. A woman could shoot the s**t out of someone long before she was given the right to vote. I'm still waiting for someone with an ounce of reality to offer up a viable solution on here. Mine is put armed veterans, citizens (that haven't been in a looney bin, or otherwise impaired) into our schools until a better alternative can be found.

As a matter of fact, votes have always had much more of a positive effect in out country than guns. Governance is accomplished through voting, not by shooting. That woman who shot someone to death prior to being able to vote would have faced her day in court for it. Short of the American revolution, every violent incident involving fire arms over peaceful procedure (the Whiskey Rebellion, the Civil War) all ended with the armed perpetrators defeated by elected government. But it's been peaceful activism and through the vote, or the demand for the vote (civil rights, labor rights, women's suffrage) that's always had success in the long run. In our system of government, and in our civil society, my vote is mightier than your gun.
I wasn't talking about defending one's children from gun wielding maniacs, but about the right's agenda of promoting guns by suppressing the vote among select groups.

Last edited by Kraichgauer on 28 May 2022, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:15 pm

Persephone -
Again, if a black person calls another black person who works against other black people on the part of white supremacists, then it isn't racism. "Coming together" has to do with mutual respect and equality, which people like Elder doesn't offer to other blacks. Hence is the reason why he's called an "Uncle Tom."

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:38 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Uncle Tom is a race based slur but not a racist one because it is not a group insult but a personal one

In the un woke world calling somebody a traitor is just as bad if not worse then the other slur.

As far as WP policy if used against another member it would violate the rule against personal attacks. If used against a public figure how would it be different then other very personal insults?

There was a big discussion, on WP, about the term "Uncle Tom", and I was under the impression it was deemed against WP policy.
Perhaps magz can clarify the situation?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:40 pm

I'm not real impressed with the left wing and I am really not impressed by the right wing;
:evil:

Amurrians are odd, no matter the political affiliation, from this Australian's POV.