Page 22 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 9:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Justice Dept. to review law enforcement response to Uvalde mass shooting
Quote:
The Justice Department announced Sunday that it will conduct a critical incident review of the response by law enforcement to the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas.

The review, which is being undertaken at the rest of Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, is tasked with providing "an independent account of law enforcement actions and responses that day, and to identify lessons learned and best practices to help first responders prepare for and respond to active shooter events," Justice Department spokesman Anthony Coley said in a statement.

Uvalde County Commissioner Ronald Garza welcomed the idea of a federal investigation when he was asked about it hours before it was announced. "I think we need to learn more. As tragic as this may seem, we need to learn from this, you know, and parents deserve answers," he told Brennan on "Face the Nation."

Once the Justice Department concludes the review, it will publish a report with its findings

This, I can buy. They don't know what to do, they need to totally rethink the approach to an armed shooter. Though, I fail to see how blasting away is a solution. I hope they can educate across the nation, quickly. I hope they call on armed citizens in the meantime.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 9:52 pm

They are cowards. They are poorly trained. They didn't have enough at stake to overcome their cowardice.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Last edited by Cornflake on 30 May 2022, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed a personal attack and the quote of another

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 10:10 pm

It was majority Hispanic….but some white, Anglo kids were killed, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 10:29 pm

I’m concerned that people died at the hands of a nut.

I’m concerned about the inaction of some of the security at the school.

19 kids are dead whether there was racism or no racism. A Hispanic person killed mostly Hispanic kids.

We have to focus on seeking to prevent this in the future. Gun control, I believe, is one method we could use.

We have to come up with practical solutions. Yeah….WE as a collective.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 10:40 pm

Just for the record, it was U.S. Border Patrol agents that when i and took down the shooter -- not those wannabe soldiers on the Uvalde SWAT team.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 10:41 pm

Yep. That’s right.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 11:06 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
W. James Antle III
May 27, 2022
How the police's handling of the Uvalde shooting could inspire more people to arm themselves

https://theweek.com/school-shootings/10 ... -ownership

"
If people do not feel that the police or other government entities can protect them or their families, they will resort to self-defense. That — more than bloodlust, indifference, or the gun lobby — is why school shootings have done less than gun control proponents would have hoped to move the needle on legislation. In fact, some respond to these incidents by buying guns themselves.

And that would include some "progressives", also.
It is not a binary here, ppl. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 11:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The republican leadership are fascists, you can't reason with fascism.

<sigh>
Here we go again. 8)

Well it is the truth, you literally cannot reason with fascism.

I was sighing about your belief of all republican leadership are fascists, and by extension, all those who vote for fascists are fascists also.
I was hoping this dehumanising tactic was dead and buried after the democrats gained government.

Are fascists not humans?

Apparently not.
They become two-dimensional cartoons. 8O

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 1:44 am

I know that the matter of transphobic rumors and outright lies has been addressed, but I still wanted to point out how Marjorie Traitor Greene needed to get her load of crap in, too:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marjorie-tay ... 30075.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 2:03 am

And where would stupidity be without Don Trump Jr. chiming in? Guess what; he has a completely idiotic and warped opinion about the shooting, too!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/don-trump-jr ... 19176.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 2:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Looks like the focus of investigation has (predictably) moved to the inaction of the police
https://www.9news.com.au/world/police-i ... ac3e3b461d

My feeling is if you join the armed forces or police then you have a duty to protect the vulnerable (particularly small children). I think all of the police involved need to resign in disgrace and seek alternative employment.

Agreed, 100%! It's disgusting to hear police officers around the country trying to defend that inaction.

There will be a study on why this happened at the scheduled Nuremberg trials in the future.

Non-sequitur

It certainly is not, in regard to what Kraichgauer said.
They have already started an investigation into what went wrong.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 2:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I
I’m concerned about the inaction of some of the security at the school.

My understanding is none of the security or police present were prepared to risk their hides to go in and confront the shooter. That's the whole reason the FBI are being called in. If even one of these donut eating cops had stepped in and shot the killer it could have possibly saved children's lives.

The whole premise of blue lives/blue lines is this narrative that police put their lives on the line every day to protect the community. In this instance they failed, in my view a dereliction of duty. If I was one of these cops I wouldn't show my face again in Ulvade (lest I get bashed).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 2:30 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Looks like the focus of investigation has (predictably) moved to the inaction of the police
https://www.9news.com.au/world/police-i ... ac3e3b461d

My feeling is if you join the armed forces or police then you have a duty to protect the vulnerable (particularly small children). I think all of the police involved need to resign in disgrace and seek alternative employment.

Agreed, 100%! It's disgusting to hear police officers around the country trying to defend that inaction.

There will be a study on why this happened at the scheduled Nuremberg trials in the future.

Non-sequitur

It certainly is not, in regard to what Kraichgauer said.
They have already started an investigation into what went wrong.

It's a non-sequitur because these are lazy good for nothing cops...not mass murderers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 2:40 am

Uvalde, Texas - Wikipedia
As of the 2020 census
Hispanic or Latino of any race 78.46 %
White (Non Hispanic) 19.17 %

Parkland, Florida - Wikipedia
As of 2020 Census
White 59.87 %
Black or African American 5.96 %
Asian 8.86 %
Mixed/Multiracial 5.63 %
Hispanic or Latino 18.48%

Slow Police Response and Chaos Contributed to Parkland Massacre, Report Finds

Quote:
In the weeks after a deadly school shooting in Parkland, Fla., widespread criticism was focused on Scot Peterson, the armed sheriff’s deputy who heard the exploding gunfire but failed to run in and try to stop the massacre.

But a state commission that has been investigating the Feb. 14 attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School for the past 10 months found that the shortfall in the police response went much further: Seven other sheriff’s deputies who raced to the school and heard gunshots also stayed outside the building, the commission found, and officers lost even more time scrambling to retrieve bulletproof vests from their cars.

A total of 17 students and staff members lost their lives in an attack that spanned a full six minutes; 17 others were injured.

The draft report released Wednesday by no means lifted blame from Mr. Peterson, who the investigation showed had told some of the other officers to stay away from the building where students were being gunned down. But it pointed to a range of other failures on the part of school and law enforcement officials that likely contributed to a shooting so deadly that it set off a national youth movement against gun violence.

A campus security monitor saw the gunman enter the building and was suspicious, but did nothing to alert students. Mental health counselors knew the gunman was troubled, but never had a complete picture of just how dangerous he had become.

The 22 officers interviewed as part of the commission’s investigation described radios that did not work, and problems communicating between law enforcement agencies and medical responders.

he Parkland Commission’s 400-page draft report, based on a detailed examination of timelines, emergency response records and testimony from witnesses, police, school officials and others, called for a full internal evaluation of the police response, given the commission’s finding that eight deputies from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office ignored protocol for active shooters that calls for pursuing a gunman to try to disarm him.

Other officers who came later did go in as soon as they arrived, the report noted.

“None of these BSO deputies immediately responded to the gun shots by entering the campus and seeking out the shooter,” the report said. “Deputy sheriffs who took the time to retrieve vests from containers in their cruisers, removed certain equipment they were wearing so that they could put on their vests, and then replaced the equipment they had removed all while shots were being fired, or had been recently fired, is unacceptable and contrary to accepted protocol.”

Sheriff Scott Israel, a Democrat who has been widely criticized for defending his office’s response to the shooting, has already placed two of the deputies on restricted duty. When he testified before the commission last month, he had few answers as to why his officers did not pursue the gunman.

“You just can’t measure heart,” Sheriff Israel said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 30 May 2022, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 2:41 am

It wasn't just the slow police response in Parkland. The 911 operator hung up on the black teacher in the middle of the shooting. I imagine that operator will need to go into hiding as well.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 2:50 am

Why do I keep having nightmare visions of a future deadly shootout between police and parents? Because it is not unimaginable.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman