Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:54 am

Listening to this one right now, Thomas Murphy's pretty much reinforcing what Simon Micheaux was saying but speaking about framing limitations a bit differently:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:25 pm

I've been watching a few of these now... They are all so... Frustrating. Not the videos itself, but the powerlessness you're left aith afterward.
I'm beginning to think that reflectibg on things and developing a deeper understanding of anything is/was a bad idea, and life would have been more successful and happy, if lived superficially. After all, I won't be able to avert the collapse, and there are people far more skilled in getting people to listen than I am, and they can't either, so who really is benefitting from me not eating meat, not flying, not selling NFTs, etc. Except I don't get to fly or eat meat, and miss out on a few hundred bucks.

After the interview with Aza Raskin I started learning about machine learning for image creation, especially Clip guided diffusion.
It's quite obvious this will replace craftsmen in the medium term, while leaving fine artists unharmed - but of course, fine art is a social game in which what an artist actually creates is irrelevant. ... And success for a craftsman now means being raw material for an ML-filter applied by the machine....