Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 10:30 am

Well, how natural or artificial a price may be is rather a subjective matter of opinion. I've felt for a long time that the natural value of a thing is the cost of creating or providing it, and that anything above that is down to somebody grabbing unearned money. Still, as you say, it's a tad off topic.

I certainly hope that new homes are better soundproofed than some of the older ones are. The space between the ground-floor ceiling and the floor upstairs in my house actually runs the entire length of the street with nothing at all to absorb the sound, and the dividing walls between the houses are made of a single layer of brick. It was built in the 1890s when the nearest thing to a deafeningly loud sound system would have been a wax cylinder player. But although modern architects, planners and regulators no longer have such an excuse, I fear they won't see my preferred levels of peace and quiet as a human right.

Tallperson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2023, 1:25 pm

I'm having this and it fells very personal and they have even attacked me for responding with my TV turned up I'm so upset sometimes angry and seem to be thinking of harm to myself and not getting through to anyone about their what seems to be deliberate

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 2:10 pm

Things can easily seem deliberate when you are tired and easily triggered. In China, they tell the story of a farmer who went out to cultivate his garden, and couldn't find his hoe. As he was searching, he saw the neighbour boy sneaking by like a thief. Then, he found the hoe, and saw the neighbour returning like a normal boy.
I have an unfortunate pattern that if noise has kept me awake for X hours, I need X hours of silence before I can start to trust that it is safe to sleep, and by then, it is getting more dangerous again. Sometimes, I just have to go camping somewhere quiet to catch up.