Kidology - Dating Apps: The New Class Struggle

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 9:06 am

https://youtu.be/bhALIgyS4Ic

This YouTuber made a video on how rigged the heterosexual dating market is on Tinder. Your thoughts?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 9:54 am

Okay, so I watched the video, and while I still believe that no one should ever let a YouTube video do their thinking for them, there is one statement that stood out (at about 19:02).

". . . Widening socio-economic inequalities in the real world are not only mirrored on virtual apps but are necessarily amplified . . ."

In other words, dating apps not only duplicate the real-world hookup culture, but also exaggerate the advantages and disadvantages experienced by real-world men and women.

The narrator presented her case in a calm, reasonable manner that might give a greater impression of credibility than the claims she was making, but the video is worth watching and pondering over.

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2022, 4:22 pm

After the audacity of the tindler swindler, i hope everyone stays away from dating apps!

Yes, it is an interesting point she has. I am sure for the owners to make their billions, these set algorithms are created to work perfectly for this target demographic and excludes others in the process. There are only one set of winners really and thats the creators of the app. Cha ching!

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 12:31 pm

Here's another interesting video about the vagaries of Tinder:

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2022, 1:44 pm

That was a good video to watch.

He is very realistic. Sadly, Tinder is not going anywhere.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 1:52 pm

Yeah, dating apps amplifying that socio-economic divide. I often think "trophy wife" viewing some of those profiles, and swipe right just for the hell of it knowing full well I'll only generate some laughs on their end.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 1:07 am

I did pretty well on dating sites when I had a good job. Perhaps my advantages were amplified.