Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 4:23 am

Would it solve the problem to say the level 3 person is autistic , but the high functioning one is asperger's?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 4:26 am

carlos55 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
So my understanding of gentrification is that disability has become somehow normalised and even fashionable (like inner city urban). I really don't think that's the case. Perhaps this word is misleading.

I believe he`s saying an unfortunate consequence in de stigmatising mental health is the worst parts have become sanitized so out of public view.

If they are out of public view these people get forgotten about and their needs tend not to be met as they remain unknown.

So, differences and superpowers in, self-harm, mental health lock up and ID out.

As far as the public awareness is concerned which leads to these people being forgotten about that has consequences explained.

Oh ok, but is that gentrification?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 7:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
So my understanding of gentrification is that disability has become somehow normalised and even fashionable (like inner city urban). I really don't think that's the case. Perhaps this word is misleading.

I believe he`s saying an unfortunate consequence in de stigmatising mental health is the worst parts have become sanitized so out of public view.

If they are out of public view these people get forgotten about and their needs tend not to be met as they remain unknown.

So, differences and superpowers in, self-harm, mental health lock up and ID out.

As far as the public awareness is concerned which leads to these people being forgotten about that has consequences explained.

Oh ok, but is that gentrification?

The word “gentrification” is mainly used around real estate where poorer families are kicked out of an area and replaced by wealthier ones and the area is then spruced up. Like in big cities like london’s east end for example.

It can be sometimes used in other contexts. Maybe he simply used the wrong English term I don’t know but I know what he’s getting at.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:40 pm

killerBunny wrote:
To be fair I think most lung adults are absolutely lazy and taught to be ok with who they are.

Parents fail to realize that autism and the behaviours that are considered mal adaptive will never be acceptable. It isn't like race were intrinsic bias can be somewhat mitigated. The experience most people have of someone that is " other " is typically poor and when everything you have screams other , it is extremely hard to override people's nature wiring.

I think most of these cases could be non issues if parents were just more qualified. You have to essentially prepare a child in a way that requires discipline about 1.5 times as much effort but if you don't attack it , nip it in the bud , then get a bunch of adults that are not wanted but have been lies to their entire lives that being different is valued.

Being different and liked assumes you maintain a healthy proximity to the centre of that u curve for what we will tolerate.

Fitting in is the goal. It's going to be hard as it is but the way these parents do their kids a giant disservice by letting them be their diagnosis.

No doubt if you are different life will be more difficult for you then if you fit in. You may not be able to accomplish what others do, and of you do accomplish it-is going to take a lot longer because you have to go though many more steps then the other people who follow the path set out for them. That said very little change is accomplished by people who fit in 24/7. If you ignore who you are in order to fit in 24/7 you will cause all sorts of psychological damage to yourself.

It requires figuring out a balance between losing yourself to fit in and being so stubborn you accomplish nothing. What this balance is varies by individual and situation. It is difficult to figure out and mistakes will be made.

Who knows what will be acceptable 20 years. An example about 4 years I was arguing with the user Goldfish about students walking out of class for a political protestI thought it was a terrible idea, that they should wait until after school to do their protest. It was based on my expectation that when they tried to pull that off when they get into the workforce they would be fired because that is how it was when I was working. 4 years later and companies organize and sponsor office hours protests.

I do mask in certain situations but the goal is to accomplish something, not to fit in.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman