Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 1:21 am

Quote:
China has ‘enormous’ ambition to ‘wield influence’ across Pacific
6 hours ago

ASPI’s Michael Shoebridge says China’s ambition is “enormous” as it attempts to “wield influence” across the Pacific – by offering security and trade deals with multiple Pacific Islands.

It comes after China scales up its efforts to gain a strategic foothold in the Pacific seeking a deal with 10 Pacific nations – include offering police, security, and cyber-support, paired with a new free trade agreement.

“The scale and speed of Beijing’s ambition to really wield influence and have security presence in the South-Pacific is enormous,” Mr Shoebridge told Sky News Australia.

“We’ve got to realise the scale and speed that Beijing is moving at.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/c ... erallPos=8

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 5:33 am

The article talks like China is moving swiftly, That's not how China works. They are merely announcing their intention. Now they have their eyes set on the south pacific it will fall under their sway, even if it takes another 50 years they are willing to wait.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 6:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
The article talks like China is moving swiftly, That's not how China works. They are merely announcing their intention. Now they have their eyes set on the south pacific it will fall under their sway, even if it takes another 50 years they are willing to wait.

I'll be dead by then and have no offspring.
Not my problem. :thumright:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:45 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Neither will I. They were willing to wait for Britain to leave Hong Kong. Almost 100 years.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2022, 8:10 am

"To wield influence" can mean really a lot of different things.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:17 am

In the sense of geopolitics, "wielding influence" is usually, overall, bad for the nation being "influenced." Though some good can be realized, too, at times.

In the case of Russia----whenever it "wields influence," it rarely ever comes out even remotely "good" for the other nation.

China should know how it feels to be on the "other end of the stick." They were victims of outside influence throughout much of the 19th till the middle of the 20th century. Some "good" came out of it-----but it certainly didn't "feel good" for the Chinese during that time.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:21 am

From what I've seen so far, it's about wanting to secure one's own trade lanes.
That's what a trade-dependent country does when it can.
This is but a fraction of what the US has done in the Asia-Pacific region before.

When your vital economic lifeline can be cut off at any time by a superpower that has already feuded. You also want to do something.
This is actually the core of the entire South China Sea issue.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:28 am

I should really say that the Japanese "wielding influence" in China ended up extremely disastrously for the Chinese. Read up on the "Nanking Massacre." A most glaring omission on my part.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2022, 8:29 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
The vital open questions are about methods.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:32 am

magz wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
The vital open questions are about methods.

Yes.
I sincerely welcome reports of any suspected out-of-bounds behavior to supplement my database.

I'm looking to see if this ends up being a Monroe Doctrine in some sense.
I didn't feel good about the first US, the same for the second.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 26 May 2022, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I should really say that the Japanese "wielding influence" in China ended up extremely disastrously for the Chinese. Read up on the "Nanking Massacre." A most glaring omission on my part.

Japan is just the most famous and the one that international historical research pays the most attention to. Because it started a total war and was part of the WWII narrative.
In fact, quite a number of countries were involved.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 3:11 pm

Come on guys, we know only the 5 Eyes are entitled to wield influence beyond their borders. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:27 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Neither will I. They were willing to wait for Britain to leave Hong Kong. Almost 100 years.

I think you missed this point. :mrgreen:
Quote:
and have no offspring.

You have "skin" in the game. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:37 pm

magz wrote:
"To wield influence" can mean really a lot of different things.

Australia is concerned our trading/supply routes to the east can be severed by Chinese military bases in the Pacific, in the future.
Also, The Solomon Islands could allow missiles to comfortably hit Australia.

There is a real security crisis in Australia and the new Labor (left-wing) party knows it, hence it is sending Penny Wong, a high ranking representative for the area, to all the relevant countries in the pacific region to counter the Chinese representative who is currently visiting those countries to woo them to China's narrative.

This is not the former right-wing government concern, as some have presented it.
This is a real issue for Australian stability in the area.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Come on guys, we know only the 5 Eyes are entitled to wield influence beyond their borders. 8)

Easy for you to talk.
You aren't on the front lines if push comes to shove.
Australia is. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 12:22 am

Quote:
China seeks deal with up to 10 Pacific nations
May 26, 2022 - 7:07AM

China is scaling up its efforts to gain a strategic foothold in the Pacific seeking a deal with 10 Pacific nations – while a US spokesperson warns Pacific Islands of “shadowy deals” with China.

The deals are reported to include offering police, security, and cyber-support, paired with a new free trade agreement.

US state department spokesperson Ned Price said China has a pattern of offering “shadowy, vague deals” with little regional consultancy.

“These recent security agreements have been conducted with little regional consultation, provoking public concern not only in the United States, but across the Indo-Pacific,” he said.

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/c ... erallPos=6