Anyone less willing to marry the older they get?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 2:15 am

As the title says. Do you think forging your own life as you get older makes you less likely to want to start over again should you meet a partner?

For me, I'm growing less and less happy with any prospect of marriage the older I get. It made sense to me when I was younger but I've settled down now in my own way.

Last edited by Nades on 26 May 2022, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 2:23 am

Marriage is a huge risk. I had a miserable one.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 3:39 am

Nades wrote:
Do you think forging your own life as you get older makes you less likely to want to start over again should you meet a partner?

I think the primary factors for me are things other than just the getting older.
With declining health I just don't have the physical and emotional resources to process the stress of constantly being in living spaces with someone else & likewise for the stress of working through the personal differences which come with being two different independent beings.

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

26 May 2022, 3:43 am

The idea of marriage still appeals to me, but less so as I age. Like anyone, I’m kind of stuck in my ways. That said, I’m willing to change. I like to be by myself a lot and as I get older that is starting to make me think that I might be a little too selfish in that regard.

Last edited by KeepWaiting on 26 May 2022, 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 3:44 am

Marriage was *never* in my cards.
I am a smart skunk, after all. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 3:45 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Nades wrote:
Do you think forging your own life as you get older makes you less likely to want to start over again should you meet a partner?

I think the primary factors for me are things other than just the getting older.
With declining health I just don't have the physical and emotional resources to process the stress of constantly being in living spaces with someone else & likewise for the stress of working through the personal differences which come with being two different independent beings.

QFT. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 3:47 am

Nades wrote:
As the title says. Do you think forging your own life as you get older makes you less likely to want to start over again should you meet a partner?

For me, I'm growing less and less happy with any prospect of marriage the older I get. It makes sense to me when I was younger but I've settled down now in my own way.

"Marriage" is simply a social construct and not a social imperative. 8)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:06 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Nades wrote:

Yeah. The people I know who live happily together done so at a young age where there formative years and important milestones could be done together along with long term planning.

I know a few successful couples who bought a house together in their 30s while meeting each other a couple of years prior and they always clash. The houses is a big source of tension in its own right as it legally locks them together to an extent.

Once people get to a certain age and those formative years and milestones are over then some don't see the point of marriage, myself included.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:12 am

Pepe wrote:

I can't be bothered with it anymore. When I was a decade younger and still able to plan my life with someone else then yes but alas, I was single and had no choice but to plan my life alone so I did.

I wouldn't be happy at this later stage to have someone interested in marrying me when I already settled down.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:13 am

KeepWaiting wrote:
The idea of marriage still appeals to me, but less so as I age. Like anyone, I’m kind of stuck in my ways. That said, I’m willing to change. I like to be by myself a lot and as I get older that is starting make me think that I might be a little too selfish in that regard.

Same. People need to respect the fact people change as they get older.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:51 am

Nades wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I can't be bothered with it anymore. When I was a decade younger and still able to plan my life with someone else then yes but alas, I was single and had no choice but to plan my life alone so I did.

I wouldn't be happy at this later stage to have someone interested in marrying me when I already settled down.

As I have said many times, I can barely look after myself emotionally without having to cope with another person.
If I had developed a significant other relationship, I would have preferred a situation where we lived independently in our own houses.
At this age, <sing> "I'm just a bachelor boy and that's the way I'll say." :mrgreen:

"Marriage" is simply a manmade construct, after all, and was predominantly a vehicle for raising children.
Psst. I have never wanted children. 8)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 5:24 am

Nades wrote:

For me, I'm growing less and less happy with any prospect of marriage the older I get. It makes sense to me when I was younger but I've settled down now in my own way.

It's less enticing as I get older. Honestly, I don't think I ever wanted to in the first place. The idea just seemed nice.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:33 am

I should never have gotten married----not because of my wife, but because of my views on independence.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:49 am

I learned the hard way getting married at 22.

I'll never be in any relationship where the only way out is death or lawyers.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:57 am

When you marry someone you are handing over or opening up your finances,mental health,living space,trust, and possibility of going through divorce court, with someone you've barely known for a year in some cases :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:59 am

I hate to be unromantic but it's true. ^

In legal terms, marriage is no more than a business contract.

I'm happily out of business.