Anyone less willing to marry the older they get?

Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:27 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I hate to be unromantic but it's true. ^

In legal terms, marriage is no more than a business contract.

I'm happily out of business.

But, if you're a woman...and not willing to marry..hopefully you're still 'open for business' :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:55 am

klanka wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

But, if you're a woman...and not willing to marry..hopefully you're still 'open for business' :D

I'm open for one man only. :wink:
I told him from our first date that I wouldn't live with him or get married.
He cried, screamed and pouted, but to no avail (/jokes).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:08 am

Me, the older the more « not worth it anymore ».

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:56 am

Practically speaking, marriage was instituted as a means to assign paternity, with all its duties and obligations.  Without marriage, ALL women might have to raise their children on their own, and men would have no duty or obligation to provide support.

So, practically speaking, getting married past the child-bearing age for either partner makes no sense.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
Practically speaking, marriage was instituted as a means to assign paternity, with all its duties and obligations.  Without marriage, ALL women might have to raise their children on their own, and men would have no duty or obligation to provide support.

So, practically speaking, getting married past the child-bearing age for either partner makes no sense.

Yeah traditionally people married at a much younger age too allowing them to plan out their life together. The later marriage is left the more conflicts of interests, personalities and lifestyles seem to come into play. Anyone who has entered their 30s or 40s and never married probably doesn't need the assistance of a wife or husband anymore.

Over the generations the true meaning and purpose of marriage seems to have become lost. Marriage is not really a declaration of love, it's more of a literal legal entangled of two people for the reasons you mentioned above.

I do have a good old laugh at the fools who meet and marry in their 50s. It's idiotic and a huge gamble.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:10 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Practically speaking, marriage was instituted as a means to assign paternity, with all its duties and obligations.  Without marriage, ALL women might have to raise their children on their own, and men would have no duty or obligation to provide support.  So, practically speaking, getting married past the child-bearing age for either partner makes no sense.
Yeah traditionally people married at a much younger age too allowing them to plan out their life together.  The later marriage is left the more conflicts of interests, personalities and lifestyles seem to come into play.  Anyone who has entered their 30s or 40s and never married probably doesn't need the assistance of a wife or husband anymore.  I do have a good old laugh at the fools who meet and marry in their 50s.  It's idiotic and a huge gamble.
I would not say that it is "idiotic", because I am sure there are other practical reasons to get married after 50 (i.e., insurance, inheritance, caring for an invalid friend, et cetera).

Last edited by Fnord on 26 May 2022, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:10 pm

I wouldn't call it idiotic.
Many marriages are successful and happy.

I wish I didn't have such a bad first experience and didn't have PTSD.
I believe in commitment and companionship.
I have no problem committing to a person for life (without a legal contract).

Even though marriage might not be right for me, it might be right for others.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 12:16 pm

I suppose it depends on circumstances. A long term relationship then yeah, provided a couple have known each other s while it'll make sense. Most marriages I see of older people seem to be the more dizzy in love type after a year or so of being together.

A few work colleagues have been nailed badly once the initial sparks die down.

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2022, 12:37 pm

Each to their own I think.
I have no interest in marriage personally and never have done.
I have had the same partner for 25 years, we have 3 children and still live together. Now and again it seemed more appealing depending on what was going on in our lives at the time but to be honest I am not sure what difference it would make now?

Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:38 pm

Nades wrote:
Yeah. The people I know who live happily together done so at a young age where there formative years and important milestones could be done together along with long term planning.

Maybe. I was 23 when I first met my partner and although we went through some years of long-distance relationship, we moved together five years later and quicky married. We adjusted to each other in our 20s while our personalities were still quite malleable. It's been good so far.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I should never have gotten married----not because of my wife, but because of my views on independence.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:09 pm

klanka wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:13 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Yeah traditionally people married at a much younger age too allowing them to plan out their life together. The later marriage is left the more conflicts of interests, personalities and lifestyles seem to come into play. Anyone who has entered their 30s or 40s and never married probably doesn't need the assistance of a wife or husband anymore.

Over the generations the true meaning and purpose of marriage seems to have become lost. Marriage is not really a declaration of love, it's more of a literal legal entangled of two people for the reasons you mentioned above.

I do have a good old laugh at the fools who meet and marry in their 50s. It's idiotic and a huge gamble.

When I was young, marriage was seen as a total commitment to each other.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:16 pm

Nades wrote:
I suppose it depends on circumstances. A long term relationship then yeah, provided a couple have known each other s while it'll make sense. Most marriages I see of older people seem to be the more dizzy in love type after a year or so of being together.

A few work colleagues have been nailed badly once the initial sparks die down.

"Love" is a state of mind due to a chemical reaction in the brain.
"Love" makes people stupid. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:18 pm

Suzyb wrote:
Each to their own I think.
I have no interest in marriage personally and never have done.
I have had the same partner for 25 years, we have 3 children and still live together. Now and again it seemed more appealing depending on what was going on in our lives at the time but to be honest I am not sure what difference it would make now?

After 2 years of co-habitation here in Australia, the relationship has all the benefits of being contracted/shackled/married legally. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:21 pm

1986 wrote:
Nades wrote:
Yeah. The people I know who live happily together done so at a young age where there formative years and important milestones could be done together along with long term planning.

Maybe. I was 23 when I first met my partner and although we went through some years of long-distance relationship, we moved together five years later and quicky married. We adjusted to each other in our 20s while our personalities were still quite malleable. It's been good so far.

A man jumped off a high rise building.
On the way down, people could hear him say...
...so far, so good. :mrgreen: