Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode one of the great ones has died

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:21 pm

Depeche Mode Keyboardist Andy ‘Fletch’ Fletcher Dead at 60

Quote:
Andy “Fletch” Fletcher, the co-founder and keyboardist of beloved synth-pop and New Wave stalwarts Depeche Mode, died at the age of 60.

Fletcher’s bandmates announced his death Thursday on social media; Rolling Stone has confirmed that the cause of death was natural causes. “We are shocked and filled with overwhelming sadness with the untimely passing of our dear friend, family member and bandmate Andy ‘Fletch’ Fletcher,” the band said in a statement.

“Fletch had a true heart of gold and was always there when you needed support, a lively conversation, a good laugh or a cold pint.”

Fletcher was a member of Depeche Mode for over 40 years, from their official formation in 1980 and their 1981 debut album Speak and Spell up through their most recent LP, 2017’s Spirit.

In 2020, Fletcher and his Depeche Mode bandmates — longtime members Dave Gahan and Martin Gore and former members Vince Clarke and Alan Wilder — were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for their pioneering role in the synth-pop, new wave and electronic music movements; the band has also played

Fletcher was a member of Depeche Mode for over 40 years, from their official formation in 1980 and their 1981 debut album Speak and Spell up through their most recent LP, 2017’s Spirit.

In 2020, Fletcher and his Depeche Mode bandmates — longtime members Dave Gahan and Martin Gore and former members Vince Clarke and Alan Wilder — were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for their pioneering role in the synth-pop, new wave and electronic music movements; the band has also played an influential role in heavy metal.

Beyond his admittedly ambiguous musical contributions, Fletcher is credited with playing on all 14 of the band’s studio albums and countless stadium-filling concert performances; Fletcher also had the unofficial title of tiebreaker in the event of Gore and Gahan coming to creative loggerheads.

Beyond his admittedly ambiguous musical contributions, Fletcher is credited with playing on all 14 of the band’s studio albums and countless stadium-filling concert performances; Fletcher also had the unofficial title of tiebreaker in the event of Gore and Gahan coming to creative loggerheads.

“Most of the time we sort of agree with each other,” Fletcher told Rolling Stone France in 2017. “But we also have this golden rule that if Martin, Dave or myself really is against something, we would agree with that [tiebreaker]… It’s a team thing.”

Fletcher also said of his role in shaping Depeche Mode’s sound in a 2009 interview, “Within the band, I contribute the element of pop. (Gore), who writes most of the songs, loves American blues and country. And Dave has discovered jazz for himself. I, however, will probably eternally feel loyal to the simple pop melodies and the lightness they stand for.”

Such a stunning and terrible loss. I have often talked about how "New wave" was revelatory for a teen during the '70s who was an outsider in every way and was now a young adult in the '80s. Depeche Mode was at the center of it all as well as an Alternative Rock and Electronica pioneer.

The '80s was a "New Life" for yours truly.

I could have used this song during the '70s

I don't know their neurology but a lot of their songs express the autistic experience

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:51 pm

Never Let Me Down Again :(

Rest in peace, Fletch.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:48 pm

My NT sister and I began listening to Depeche Mode in the midst of our high school years
and have been fans of DM ever since.

Who's next? :cry:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:46 pm

RIP Andy
Loved this song

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:15 am

Depeche Mode Confirm Founding Member Andy Fletcher’s Cause of Death

Quote:
In a statement posted to the official Depeche Mode Instagram account on Monday, the band’s remaining members Martin Gore and Dave Gahan said that Fletcher died of an aortic dissection while at his home on May 26, and that his family had asked the band to share the news.

“A couple weeks ago we received the result from the medical examiners, which Andy’s family asked us to share with you now,” the post reads. “Andy suffered an aortic dissection while at home on May 26. So, even though it was far, far too soon, he passed naturally and without prolonged suffering.”

We had a celebration of Andy’s life in London last week, which was a beautiful ceremony and gathering with a few tears, but filled with the great memories of who Andy was, stories of all of our times together, and some good laughs,” the post said. “Andy was celebrated in a room full of many of his friends and family, our immediate DM family, and so many people who have touched Andy’s and our lives throughout the years. All being together was a very special way to remember Andy and see him off.”

“So thank you for all of the love you’ve shown Andy and his family and friends over the last few weeks,” the post continues. “It honestly means the world to all of us. Andy, you’ll be missed, but certainly not forgotten.”

Aortic dissection - Mayo Clinic
Quote:
An aortic dissection is a serious condition in which a tear occurs in the inner layer of the body's main artery (aorta). Blood rushes through the tear, causing the inner and middle layers of the aorta to split (dissect). If the blood goes through the outside aortic wall, aortic dissection is often deadly.

Aortic dissection is relatively uncommon. It usually occurs in men in their 60s and 70s. Symptoms of aortic dissection may mimic those of other diseases, often leading to delays in diagnosis. However, when an aortic dissection is detected early and treated promptly, the chance of survival greatly improves.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 10:17 am

I guess he has finally met his own personal Jesus.