Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

birefringence
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2022, 10:46 pm

Hello hello!
I am birefringence. I am doubly refractive!
I am female and in my mid 20's. I was diagnosed with ADHD-combined type and developmental coordination disorder in 2013, and the neuropsychiatrist included a note that I "may have traits of Asperger's." (Later, they updated this to say, "consistent with a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome".) As far as I understand, getting this diagnosis as a female in that time period was unusual, particularly as I was not seeking out any diagnosis in particular.
I embraced the ADHD diagnosis, as it helped me to get sufficient accommodation in school. However, due to experiencing psychiatric abuse from the Asperger's diagnosis (I was told that any complaints I had were "misinterpretations" due to me being on the spectrum.), I completely stuffed it down and decided I absolutely do NOT have it. Given the abuse I experienced after receiving the diagnosis, it makes complete sense why I have spent years rejecting the notion.
However, the experiences and difficulties I have, as much as I've tried to deny them, are consistent with Autism Level 1/Asperger's. There are vast discrepancies between my strengths and weaknesses. I have exceptionally fast processing speed, but abysmal visual motor integration. I can read nearly instantaneously, but I can't retain verbal information. I have spent my entire life feeling like a space alien.
I'm very excited to learn more!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2022, 4:50 am

Hello, welcome.
I am new too so, it is lovely to read I am not alone.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 11:54 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you find the conversations here interesting.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 3:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I am old, almost an antique.

When I entered high school, they placed me in Special Class. This is because I had a problem with reading. I was very slow. An extremely slow reader. The only things that I enjoyed was reading comic books. But the class they put me in was called SPEED READING. It was a very strange class. They would show a paragraph for a few seconds and then ask me questions about what I read. My problem was that I would read the first sentence and then the second. But by the time I finished reading the second sentence, I forgot what the first sentence said. So I would reread it again. So trying to read a whole paragraph was insane and took forever. What the class in speed reading taught me was to read a paragraph from the inside out. I would find the key word and then begin constructing the paragraph from the inside. It was a strange way of reading but it worked.

I made it through high school and then college and excelled.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 3:39 pm

Welcome Birefringence.... hope you can sort information on this site . To your hearts satisfaction.
maybe glean some useful info... If you hang around you might find some of the threads could be of interest to you on your journey of self discovery . Had been in denial of any possible diagnosis by anyone most of my life. But when you finally come to accept it :roll: it is still hard to accept it . :evil:
Very much like being in the forest and denieing that there really are trees . Its just the place you know .Not someone elses definition of it. Its just that these things around me are so darn green and
someone else keeps calling them trees . :roll: ........ :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 5:32 am

Welcome! I relate strongly to some of the experiences you have described and some of our neurology sounds/ seems to be similar. Stick around and get to know some folks, glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson