Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TheOutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2022, 6:08 pm

I have serious problems understanding the emotions expressed by emojis. The very basics, such as "happy" or "sad" are relatively easy, but most of the emojis beyond that are very difficult to understand. Is this an autistic thing, or does everyone have the same problem?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 6:14 pm

TheOutsider wrote:
I have serious problems understanding the emotions expressed by emojis. The very basics, such as "happy" or "sad" are relatively easy, but most of the emojis beyond that are very difficult to understand. Is this an autistic thing, or does everyone have the same problem?

:chin:
Possibly.

I am a big emoji fan, btw. :wink:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 6:19 pm

Not really.

I use emojis on Facebook but I don't use them on WP because I don't like these ones, they're not illustrative enough. And I especially don't use this smugface f**k ----> :D

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 8:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Not really.

I use emojis on Facebook but I don't use them on WP because I don't like these ones, they're not illustrative enough. And I especially don't use this smugface f**k ----> :D

Erm...
Pass. 8)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 8:27 pm

If you put you arrow over the emojis on WP it will show the emotion it has in print. But on some other sites the name of the emotion makes it more confusing. Like for example there's one emoji that claims to be "triumphant", but it looks like an angry face shooting steam out of their nostrils. Could be a cultural difference since emojis were created in Japan.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2022, 10:18 pm

:D big happy
:) Happy
:( Sad
:o Surprise or oh no!
8O Shock
:? Confused
8) Cool bro
:lol: Laughing
:x Angry
:P Bleh
:oops: Embarrassed
:cry: Very sad
:evil: Evil
:twisted: Also evil
:roll: Tired of this nonsense
:wink: Indicates speaker and reader possess common knowledge left unstated, often flirtatious
:| Worried

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 11:16 pm

I just got one today. One eye a vertical line, one horizontal. The smile is very high-set, mildly curved, and higher on the horizontal-eye side. I can't copy it, and the sender is older than I. <sigh>

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2022, 12:43 am

Dear_one wrote:
I just got one today. One eye a vertical line, one horizontal. The smile is very high-set, mildly curved, and higher on the horizontal-eye side. I can't copy it, and the sender is older than I. <sigh>

Sounds like a wink.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 3:37 am

I think it's something that you get used to. Some of the emojis don't really match their descriptions. I'm often confused by them and tend to avoid them.

Emojis are not real human faces and they are meant to exaggerate facial expressions. If any emoji looks confusing to an autistic person, it probably looks confusing to non-autistic person, too. So, in my opinion, it's not an autistic thing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 4:03 am

Pteranomom wrote:
:D big happy
:) Happy
:( Sad
:o Surprise or oh no!
8O Shock
:? Confused
8) Cool bro
:lol: Laughing
:x Angry
:P Bleh
:oops: Embarrassed
:cry: Very sad
:evil: Evil
:twisted: Also evil
:roll: Tired of this nonsense
:wink: Indicates speaker and reader possess common knowledge left unstated, often flirtatious
:| Worried

You left out my favourite. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 5:00 am

I hated them at first but they have been around a very long time now. I had to learn what they meant the same as words, took a while but now I do use them off and on. On forums such as this and others, I probably get scolded for using them ( people chastise me and tell me they don't want me to use them) and it is hard to remember who feels assaulted by them or insulted by them, and who doesn't. I have people problems over emojis so these days I tend to simply ignore many posts rather than "like" or thumbs up them for fear of offending. I used the like button in other forums a lot of times to indicate I had read and acknowledged the posters remarks, but somebody pointed out I could be "liking" the conditions described in a post, something not so good. So I started doing the empathy button and got scolded because that felt too wrong from a stranger. I am getting better at just scrolling by and not commenting at all on many posts where I used to use emojis. I guess it is another culture and system that is still evolving meaning an nuance. now I am mostly ambivalent and have learned to keep scrolling in a lot of cases where in the past I might have acknowledged a post using an emoji. Interesting conversation. thanks for posting

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 8:48 am

I don't mind them. I haven't had much trouble knowing what they're supposed to mean, and when their meaning isn't clear I don't worry about it much. I sometimes use them, though I go through phases where I don't. For some reason I prefer the term "emoticons" to describe them.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2022, 9:42 am

My eyes have gotten so bad that even with glasses, on my phone screen I often can't tell which emoji it is!