Am I being too hard on myself for forgetting this wedding?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 12:11 am

I have been really exhausted lately, because I have been working a lot of in my job, and there has been mandatory overtime lately, and I am also trying to make a feature film project in my spare time and having to do both, has caused me to not have as much time to sleep but also have trouble sleeping as well because of the anxiety from it for the last few weeks.

On top of this I had to celebrate four birthdays in less than two weeks as well as help my parents out with some things I wanted to help them out with. It got to the point where I was so mentally exhausted that my brain just broke down and crashed and I got really emotional over it, and just fell asleep just completely brain dead.

Next day I found out I slept through my best friend's wedding, and I told I would be there of course, and this is my best friend going back to when we were teens, so I felt horrible, missing it, just absolutely horrible. I don't know how I could have and how my brain managed to just pass out and forget that.

I managed to get up and make the reception later, but missed the ceremony and I feel horrible, but my gf says I am being way too hard on myself and I haven't slept well in a long time, and and I have had all the birthday events, the parent events, the making of the movie, and all the mandatory overtime at work that I didn't know that was going to happen.

Does she have a point, or did I really screw up and should feel bad do you think, or what can I do now? Thank you very much for any advice on this! I really appreciate it!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 12:13 am

Quote:
Am I being too hard on myself for forgetting this wedding?

:chin:

No. 8)

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2022, 4:22 am

It sounds like you need a serious rest. I think if you can have an honest conversation with your friend about it, everything will be fine.
It is very useful to work on self awareness of your level of exhaustion. It is easy to drive oneself into a wall where everything falls apart. Sometimes I need to look at what events are coming up, and choose the really important ones. Then I can pass on some of the others, giving myself recovery time. Many times I just need to lie quietly in bed with my head under a pillow for an hour or so.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:24 am

Sorry for saying this but I would hate myself if I did that. I hope your friend is not angry. Did you talk to him after that?

Your gf is right about you being too hard on yourself about all the things you've made yourself to do (work, birthdays, parents etc).

Edit: I originally wrote my fully honest opinion not realizing this is in the "The Haven" section. I changed my post without lying. My apologies.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:35 am

I wouldn’t get all upset if my friend didn’t make it to the ceremony.

It wasn’t like you were Best Man or an Usher.

I guess I might apologize to this friend—but if this got your friend all upset, I’d probably find it absurd.

You did make it to the reception, after all.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 8:22 am

Oh okay, I am really hard on mysel for it because I wanted to see this happy moment in his life, for someone I was great friends with for so long?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 8:44 am

I understand. I thought you were asking for advice.