Deinonychus

28 May 2022, 10:40 am

Use water.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 11:25 am

But not on electrical fires.

But what about a FireFighting Lift (as one or two were labelled at my old place of work)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 10:34 am

Not on grease fires either.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 10:42 am

I get claustrophobia in elevators. :| I always take the stairs if there's a choice. It's one of the couple of phobias, fears, that get to me. I can't seem to shake it.

No one will know that one, though.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 6:39 pm

^ Well, elevators are scary. Elevator accidents can be quite gruesome when they do happen. Like the one that happened in Russia, where a woman's got decapitated. And many other ones like that. Even where there's no fire, I avoid elevators if I can. When I do use them, I try to be very alert. Escalator accidents also tend to be very gruesome. I find them scary, too.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 12:17 pm

I don't like elevators either, but if I have to use one I do anyway because going up stairs is hard on my knees due to osteoarthritis, plus I sound like a 90 year old chain smoker with asthma.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2022, 12:21 pm

I once read a Readers Digest true story about a cleaner in Russia who got stuck in a lift over the Christmas holidays and she was there for over a week and had to drink the mop bucket water and eat some of her mop. :(

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 12:25 pm

Space50 wrote:
Use water.

You made me chortle

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 12:32 pm

arachnids wrote:
I once read a Readers Digest true story about a cleaner in Russia who got stuck in a lift over the Christmas holidays and she was there for over a week and had to drink the mop bucket water and eat some of her mop. :(

So, she did survive? Hope so.

I watched a news video about a woman who got stuck in an elevator for over a month and was found decomposing when the repair people opened it. I think the story was from China.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2022, 5:53 pm

temp1234 wrote:
arachnids wrote:

So, she did survive? Hope so.

I watched a news video about a woman who got stuck in an elevator for over a month and was found decomposing when the repair people opened it. I think the story was from China.

Yeah, she survived. She had no family who missed her over Christmas though. A very sad story.

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 7:00 pm

I don't like elevators and won't get in one if it is full of people. I'll wait for the next one or take the stairs.

But, sometimes I try to fool myself into doing something different, so I got on an elevator packed with people - a long time ago.

And more people got on. I was pressed in between many many people. It was crammed.

And the elevator got stuck between two floors. We were stuck for about 30 minutes. But of course at the time, one has no idea how long it will take. There was no intercom. No communication. Just stuck.

There was no air because there was no power. No lights. I could not breathe. I was panicky and trying not to look panicky. I have no further memory of the event.

But I don't go into crowded elevators anymore for any reason. Stairs, stairs, stairs.

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2022, 7:19 pm

All elevators where I live are required to have emergency telephones. Every elevator should have one.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 8:33 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
... because going up stairs is hard on my knees due to osteoarthritis, plus I sound like a 90 year old chain smoker with asthma.

I'm sorry to hear about your knees and the pain that will cause. I walk around feeling like a zombie most of the time, so I probably have you beat with the latter. :)

Aside, I'm not really afraid of anything to do with the elevator itself, rather just boring old claustrophobia. It's there for many things. I'll take them when I'm with my mother (hospital, for example), as she can't take the stairs.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 8:51 pm

[that guy] well I succesfully put out a fire by using an elevator once, i don't see what the problem is. [/that guy]