Do you ever feel detached from the things that you create?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 3:05 am

Something that I have noticed about myself...I sorta lead a creative life..everything that I do more or less amounts to the creation of something..I make tons of sock creatures and do artwork on a regular basis...write songs..yada yada yada....but once i am finished with something, I have a hard time grasping that I made it..if that makes sense..it is an entitiy completely seperate from myself. The whole creative process sorta fades away...Does anyone else have a similar experience with creating things?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

05 Aug 2007, 3:09 am

No, I think for me it's very different. Once I create something, it seems still such an intimate part of me, I'm reluctant to show it to anybody.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 3:12 am

hmm... that's interesting.

The only thing creative I do is write music using a midi sequencer. I am constatly tweaking the music while I make it... really paranoid perfectionist type tweaks.

But after a certain point... it just floats away. Either my brain gets used to the sounds... and I end up just liking it the way it is. Or I just don't care anymore.

At this point the music sort of becomes it's own entity... and I listen to my own music often... just wondering if it's any good or not.

I think I get what you are saying though... after it's done... it doesn't feel like I've made anything. It just seems like it's existed forever...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 3:45 am

I do anything to express myself, paint, draw, write and play instruments. To me art is merely an extension of myself. When I make something, be it a painting, sketch, novel or song I feel like it's part of me. Like an organ that helps fuel me. I don't mind showing people what I am through this but I couldnt stand selling it for cash if I lost it in the process, like a painting or sketch, I could only give it to someone I deeply trust as a friend or lover. It would be like giving them a bit of you for them to cherish. I could sell music or a novel because they can be mass-produced while I keep the orginals, even better I could share a bit of myself with the world and by extension live on even after I die, true immortality.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2007, 5:55 am

ive only gone right thought with 2 songs .... i understand what i was doing more now .... but they really just represent a feeling i didn't work on them enough that they could really become anything more

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 10:01 am

When I make something it's not so much a part of me as I feel the need for recognition that I've done it.