How would things be if everything on the internet

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2022, 12:13 pm

How would things be if everything on the internet suddenly got erased?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 12:31 pm

Those poor hackers wouldn't know what to do with their sad little lives, that's for sure.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 1:11 pm

Sonic200 wrote:

:arrow: A lot of disabled people would be deprived of information, services, and contact with other human beings.

:arrow: There would be negative impact across the world in the realms of transportation/shipping; grocery supply; banking; power, water, sewer, gas, utility management.

:arrow: There would be negative impacts in health care.

:arrow: There would be a loss of information and safety in severe weather areas, such as where I live,
For an example,
Quote:
452 AM CDT Mon May 30 2022

This hazardous weather outlook is for northwest...north central and
west central Missouri...as well as extreme eastern Kansas.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Strong southerly winds this morning with gusts of 40 to 45 mph
possible.

Strong to severe storms are possible this evening. Damaging winds, large
hail, and a few tornadoes are possible.

More detailed information can be accessed at...
https://www.weather.gov/eax/hwo

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 1:21 pm

Then that just goes to show how reliant society has become on the internet. I think that one day the internet system will crash and people will have to start using their brains again instead of a computer screen.

Sometimes I don't like this new world we live in.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 1:46 pm

Sonic200 wrote:

https://youtu.be/hWoh8P2IVx0

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 4:23 pm

I think I would like that

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2022, 5:46 pm

There was a South Park ep that covers this :lol: :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 12:27 pm

It would be a worldwide catastrophe and everything would be in total chaos, but after a few years the world would adapt and it would almost as if we never had internet in the first place.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:54 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
It would be a worldwide catastrophe and everything would be in total chaos, but after a few years the world would adapt and it would almost as if we never had internet in the first place.

I think you're right but humans would start talking to each other again. Communities would reform. We'd get to know our neighbours and possibly help each other again.

I personally think the internet would be better if it was more like a huge library- for information but no communication available. All that internet communication has enabled has been a massive outpouring of bile and conspiracy theories.

We managed pre-internet for thousands of years. We could again. :idea:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 10:11 am

KitLily wrote:
I think you're right but humans would start talking to each other again. Communities would reform. We'd get to know our neighbours and possibly help each other again.

Depends on where you live. Before widespread internet, the suburbs, at least where I lived, were just as remote as they are now when it comes to community. Neighbors might chat, but nothing seen as a community. The rural areas are about the same as ever, where people tend to know their neighbors, help out if asked and are familiar with one another at the local town; people recognize me at the local town and I don't even socialize with them. Outside of rural areas, people still kept to their own circle of friends, not their local area.

The internet, as said above, is mostly a boon for those that can't really socialize and have trouble getting out. NTs will quickly adapt without it and those with disabilities that greatly hinder social skills and global functioning will have it harder, like the old days. As someone that's disabled with little help (not that I want it, but that's beside the point here), the internet makes life far, far easier for me.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 11:33 am

It would be very inconvenient. I wouldn't be able to do online shopping.

The technophobic old generation would be triumphantly laughing and saying "I told ya, computers are useless! Can't do a thing!"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jun 2022, 12:02 pm

KitLily wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I personally think the internet would be better if it was more like a huge library- for information but no communication available. All that internet communication has enabled has been a massive outpouring of bile and conspiracy theories.

We managed pre-internet for thousands of years. We could again. :idea:
When libraries came out some people thought it was a bad thing because they believed people would be reading books instead of socializing with others. When newspapers came out some people thought it was a bad thing because they believed people would read the news instead of socializing with others to get it. I guess in order for people to really socialize in person more, all forms of media, writing, & information would need to disappear as well instead of just the net.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 11:52 am

Dillogic wrote:
Depends on where you live. Before widespread internet, the suburbs, at least where I lived, were just as remote as they are now when it comes to community. Neighbors might chat, but nothing seen as a community.

The internet, as said above, is mostly a boon for those that can't really socialize and have trouble getting out. NTs will quickly adapt without it and those with disabilities that greatly hinder social skills and global functioning will have it harder, like the old days. As someone that's disabled with little help (not that I want it, but that's beside the point here), the internet makes life far, far easier for me.

When I was a child, the suburb I lived was very friendly, we all knew our neighbours, had parties, there was a community spirit. I look back fondly at those days. I think also people knew that life could be boring sometimes. These days people want 24/7 entertainment, which isn't normal for the human brain. We need periods of downtime and switching off, not on on on on all the time.

The problem is that big families and communities have stopped happening. In the past, disabled people were involved in big families and communities. Those would have to start up again to replace the internet, so hopefully that would happen. I'm sure it would have to happen because humans are social creatures.

The internet helps me a bit I suppose. I'm desperately lonely though. People on the internet can't give me a hug, help with the shopping, have a cup of tea and a laugh, look after my daughter when I need help. It's rather false.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 11:57 am

nick007 wrote:
When libraries came out some people thought it was a bad thing because they believed people would be reading books instead of socializing with others. When newspapers came out some people thought it was a bad thing because they believed people would read the news instead of socializing with others to get it. I guess in order for people to really socialize in person more, all forms of media, writing, & information would need to disappear as well instead of just the net.

People don't read books or newspapers 24/7 though, there was only so much new information around. The internet is always there refreshing with more more more news and gossip and memes and god knows what else. Learning about things happening on the whole planet is neverending. I suppose in the past we only knew what was happening in our immediate vicinity, which was probably less stressful.