Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 1:30 pm

What are your thoughts?

Do you wear any?

Do you find it problematic sensory-wise?

I find even light makeup problematic but wear it anyway because I like the way it looks.

(This topic isn’t solely limited to women, of course.)

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 6:37 pm

Yes, I wear lipstick, under eye concealer, blusher, mascara and sometimes liquid eyeliner when I go out. I used to wear foundation over a decade ago, but don't anymore as I don't see the point when my skin is already good. The full face makeup look is something I've never done....I don't like looking like a different person to what I naturally look.

I've noticed a huge difference in quality between high end and low end products (I use MAC and Guerlain). In my experience, the high end stuff tends to be easier to apply and helps create a more flawless and enhancing look. You need to know how to apply products properly too (something I was rubbish at) - YouTube tutorials are good for this.

Sensory-wise, I don't have an issue as long as my skin is properly moisturised. Foundation used to make my skin feel itchy no matter what brand I used.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 7:05 pm

I’m glad I don’t “have” to wear makeup.

I can barely wear a watch on my wrist. I only wear it so I could record my steps daily.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 7:22 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
Yes, I wear lipstick, under eye concealer, blusher, mascara and sometimes liquid eyeliner when I go out. I used to wear foundation over a decade ago, but don't anymore as I don't see the point when my skin is already good. The full face makeup look is something I've never done....I don't like looking like a different person to what I naturally look.

I've noticed a huge difference in quality between high end and low end products (I use MAC and Guerlain). In my experience, the high end stuff tends to be easier to apply and helps create a more flawless and enhancing look. You need to know how to apply products properly too (something I was rubbish at) - YouTube tutorials are good for this.

Sensory-wise, I don't have an issue as long as my skin is properly moisturised. Foundation used to make my skin feel itchy no matter what brand I used.

My mom used to sell Clinique, so I’ve had lots of tutorials. Sometimes I’d be there for them to practice on.

I think inexpensive makeup has caught up in quality to the expensive stuff, as long as it’s not the cheapest you can buy.

The main drawback is that you can’t usually try it before you buy it for most items.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 7:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I can barely wear a watch on my wrist. I only wear it so I could record my steps daily.

Yeah I can't imagine you'd enjoy it :lol:

I like dressing up, makeup completes the look for me.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 3:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

No one HAS to wear make up, only in (propaganda by ads, its all about the signalling) minds,
- i don't even understand the concept, eg lipstick? what is that signalling, among the (signalling) there's not a thing i would or dare signal, from vampire to being in "heat" what's the point?
even younger i didn't understand how you could "pretend" to something that you can't keep up or "be", that looked like an awfull lot of work
also im fearfull of saying no, soo why attract all sorts of unnecessairy problems

i stopped wearing a wrist watch long ago, in hs i used to put it on a string, in my pocket

no rings, jewelry or whatever, even nailpolish feels weirdly constricting

i hate to wear a belt, but with all those broken pants i often have too

dressing up? nooooooooooooo i even hate changing during the day, sometimes you have too 8)

back long ago my mom would take me with her to the hairsalon, the smells of tinned hering and pee,
i get that for nostalia during lambing season, blood fish and urine, but the milk and wool/lambs smell nice :D

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:05 am

I sometimes wear black nail polish. My jewellery is minimal, I like to go with silver. However, I don't wear any facial makeup. I find it scratchy. Even when my skin is properly moisturized I am hyper aware of facial makeup and it takes a lot of self-control for me to not scratch or rub at it. Too distracting. Especially mascara, I want to rub at my eyes. I can't concentrate when I'm wearing facial makeup. So I stopped wearing it. I didn't particularly like how I looked in it either, it didn't feel right for me somehow.

Nail polish doesn't affect me sensory wise. I like how it looks. Further, I like to combine bohemian with a sort of indie rock style and I find the black nail polish can help tie it together.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 11:20 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:

My mom used to sell Clinique, so I’ve had lots of tutorials. Sometimes I’d be there for them to practice on.

I think inexpensive makeup has caught up in quality to the expensive stuff, as long as it’s not the cheapest you can buy.

The main drawback is that you can’t usually try it before you buy it for most items.

Wow that must have been fun! Are you able to create loads of different make-up looks?

We have a Boots and superdrugs here in UK where they sell inexpensive brands too. I've tried Soap & Glory, Rimmel and L'Oréal makeup, which was alright. Pre-COVID they had testers out for most of them - not sure if they still have them out anymore.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 7:04 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:

Wow that must have been fun! Are you able to create loads of different make-up looks?

We have a Boots and superdrugs here in UK where they sell inexpensive brands too. I've tried Soap & Glory, Rimmel and L'Oréal makeup, which was alright. Pre-COVID they had testers out for most of them - not sure if they still have them out anymore.

It was fun! I liked different products from different counters - Lancôme, Estee Lauder, Clinique, and others.

I always had a large stash of makeup. These days I’m more natural, but I really look good in a deep, red lipstick.

I actually like L’Oréal foundation as much as the good stuff.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 7:14 pm

Women are literally forced to wear make-up when they're a bride at a wedding. And it's not a case of "it's your day, you should choose" and all that, because it isn't. No matter how much people love you, they will think it's really weird if you're the bride that turns up looking plain with no make-up. Even I feel it's weird, although I don't know why and I hate feeling it.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 4:57 am

I wear blush and a tiny bit of concealer everyday. Sometimes I'll powder my face and darken my eyebrows. That's about as fancy as I would go. I never do eye makeup. I think I'll forget and rub my eyes and mess it up. :D Once I was given a liquid eyeliner and oh it was so messy. I thought I would never be able to wash all the ink off. :o

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 8:17 pm

Not on a daily basis. If I want to make a better impression for NTs: concealer under my eyes. Next step is subtle lipstick. It's a big deal when I take out the eyeliner. I haven't worn mascara or blush in well over 5 years. When I was younger, I wore makeup more often. As a teenager I was into eye shadow. My tween ASD daughter puts on a bit of makeup for special occasions. It goes to show cultural impact since she doesn't see me wearing makeup.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 8:30 pm

I don't wear it regularly.
I don't like anything "heavy" feel on my head, let alone my face. My senses just constantly feels something on my face.

Sometimes the usual smell of make up as well, but that's not about sensory overload.

So no thick make up.
And if I were ever to wear any make up, it had to be very "light".

I'm alright with face powder but not foundation.
I'm alright with flavored lip gloss, but not with actual lipsticks...
I'm alright with bending and tinting my eye lashes, but no extensions or thickeners.

And so on and so on...

I also don't like having to "care" for it.
I don't like being unable to touch my own face because of that. So I'd rather be able to rub my eyes, lick my lips, scratch my nose...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 8:42 pm

I don't wear any tried a few times when I was younger and didn't like how it felt, maybe a bit of lip balm but that is not really make up it is more because I get chapped lips easily. Idk sometimes I think it would be fun to try a bit of goth make up because that looks cool, but have not done that yet...though it would only be an occasional thing because I'd still get sick of it being on my face.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

07 Jun 2022, 1:20 pm

Even though I really liked to mess with colors and to try styles, I am in Lost_dragon and Sweetleaf's club. It's too itchy and problematic, especially with the eyes getting poked by mascara brush and irritated all the time, not to mention it takes focus, sweating and it's stressful to me, also used to wake up early skip important sleep just for 2 hours to perfect my makeup. It also cleans lamely and can't get rid of it, becomes disgusting and ghostly part of me.

My skin is great without, i got compliments from doctors. I also am very annoyed at the hormonal dysruption some of these products cause, thinking there are young girls using them because they feel ashamed to not fit in, it has become the norm.

Nail polish tends to dry and thicken my nails, so just for presentation i used to paint toes more recently, couple years ago, but mostly don't. Cant stand the vapors and smells for days. The way it chops off or sticks to the nail is not great, and i can feel it uncomfortably on the nail. I tend to chew it off my fingernails because it's either on the skin or its having parts fall off, to maintain fingernail one takes hard work and i dont like to back off from being handsy, and the taste and digestion is not great for me. I don't mind simple hands without polish, so I dont find it necessary.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 2:29 pm

I can't abide liquid foundation. It makes my skin feel horrible.

I have a friend who is a beautician and she recommended mineral powder makeup to me and found the right colour foundation for me. It's so much more bearable.

I still wear liquid foundation under my eyes and if I have spots, but as little of it as possible.

I don't mind eyeshadow, but I don't really like the feel of mascara. I'm going to get my eyelashes dyed/tinted and see how that looks.

My beautician friend brought some false eyelashes on holiday for me and her friend to put on and I ducked out and went for drinks with other people while they were doing their girly thing. There's no ay I would be able to cope with that. I think she was a bit hurt, but I couldn't bare the thought of sticking something so close to my eye!

I hate nail polish. It makes my finger nails feel like they are suffocating.