Is the internet the only place where you can pass as NT?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2022, 1:43 pm

Do you think the internet is the only place where it is possible for you to pass as a neurotypical?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 1:51 pm

Might be.
I thought I was well spoken but when someone who had been a friend for a few months found out I could code he was like 'oh so you're intelligent then' so I probably don't come over that way

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2022, 5:52 pm

I can not mask as being neurotypical even on the internet & I do not want to

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2022, 6:19 pm

I know I am certainly not able to mask as neurotypical offline. Any stranger that just comes in contact with me can tell I am not neurotypical.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 6:26 pm

I don't know, do I pass? :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 6:32 pm

Not really?

I mean, if you're not geeky, aren't analytical, not interested in intellectual things, enjoy watching sitcoms and sports, are super-average on almost every metric but have an ASD diagnoses with no connection to your personality other than not being able to read people I guess the not reading part, at least nonverbally, is taken care of.

You'd be amazed at the variety of things that expose you as being on the spectrum. Lacking social skills isn't even necessary.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 6:58 pm

nick007 wrote:
I can not mask as being neurotypical even on the internet & I do not want to

Me too. I had a reddit account for a few days and it took just a few posts before I overstepped a few unwritten social rules I was unaware of and the downvotes amassed. Even the subreddit for autism has certain group manners that make me a misfit there. The only place online where I feel safe to say what I want to say is here.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 9:01 pm

Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

30 May 2022, 9:23 pm

How on earth do you pass as NT?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 9:31 pm

I can't pass as NT anywhere.

The only people who think I'm NT online, are people who think autistic people can't be smart.

Unfortunately I've even heard that attitude from people on WP.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 10:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.

Why do you have to list lack of empathy down as an autistic trait?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 11:04 pm

Taking things literally is an autistic trait. It's even in the diagnostic criteria.

It stands to reason that we all have issues with that.

The other two aren't relevant.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 2:38 am

I'm sure I don't quite fit in regarding most settings. But I'm also sure it's less distinct than it used to be.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 31 May 2022, 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 3:22 am

Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Not lack of sympathy, but lack of empathy - or more precisely "cognative empathy".

Its listed in the DSM as a diagnostic symptom.

A particular WP member always whines, and invokes his autism to defend himself when others on this same site get angry at him for being obtuse. So ask THAT person. Dont ask me. Lol!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 May 2022, 8:27 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Not lack of sympathy, but lack of empathy - or more precisely "cognative empathy".

Its listed in the DSM as a diagnostic symptom.

A particular WP member always whines, and invokes his autism to defend himself when others on this same site get angry at him for being obtuse. So ask THAT person. Dont ask me. Lol!
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Not really?

I mean, if you're not geeky, aren't analytical, not interested in intellectual things, enjoy watching sitcoms and sports, are super-average on almost every metric but have an ASD diagnoses with no connection to your personality other than not being able to read people I guess the not reading part, at least nonverbally, is taken care of.

You'd be amazed at the variety of things that expose you as being on the spectrum. Lacking social skills isn't even necessary.
I def am NOT an intellectual & I'm not really a geek cuz I'm not great with technology & I'm too ret*d to pass for NT. There's LOTS of things I don't understand & others tend to misunderstand me. On other forums I've been accused of being mean & hateful when I was never intending to be. I want to give others practical advice instead of telling them clueshays that help them feel better but do nothing to actually address the problem. I want others to do that with me as well & I'm a giant aHole for it. Sometimes situations have very crummy outcomes no matter what you do or don't do & being honest with someone about that is mean since it is not what they want to hear. I talked about my problems & issues a lot & I've gotten accused of just wanting to whine & complain instead of solving my problems. I wanted to hear advice that I could realistically apply & others just wanted me to feel better or focus on something else so I would shut up. I have an analytical style where I appear argumentative & like I'm dismissing all advice when I'm trying to figure out how I can realistically apply it & I'm sorting things out. Figurative pats on the back & being called mean & stuff makes me feel worse. Aspies tend to be more understanding & accepting which is why WP is the only forum I've really used since after being here a year.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 9:13 am

I don't pass as NT anywhere when folks get to know me a little.