Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2022, 8:28 pm

So often we reach out to each other on this forum because we are frustrated or hurt or suffering, so I just wanted to make a thread focusing on some good things about my ASD son. Feel free to chime in with things you love about your kids.

1. My son makes a point to come give me a hug each night before bed, even when I'm holding the baby. I think he does this as much for me as for him.

2. He is crazy smart. Half the time I'm not even sure if his math is right Because he's teaching himself math beyond what I know.

3. He cares about animals. He became a vegetarian the day he learned where meat comes from. (I wasn't trying to make him a vegetarian--I eat meat.) I could make a whole list of pro-animal things he's done.

4. He has a great smile and loves jokes.

5. When his sister waa sad recently, he came over and said something kind and comforting.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 1:02 am

My son:

- He's incredibly smart, very sensitive, and very talented.
- He's written and produced several albums.
- He would do anything for me, or for his partner and his many friends.
- He phones his grandmother about once a week even when he's busy.
- He loves surprising people.
- He's very sentimental and gets upset if anything changes from his childhood.
- He has occasional meltdowns but always apologises afterward.
- He likes me to send video of the pets so he'll know they're OK.
- He's either very quiet (selective mutism), or he'll talk your ear off with enthusiasm.
- He gets sick at Christmas because he's emotional about the family being together.

My daughter:

- She's incredibly smart, very sensitive, and very talented.
- She's written and published several books.
- She loves deeply and stands her ground when offended.
- She's great with design and home decor.
- She's also very sentimental about her childhood.
- She's upset that her grandmother is changing a small bit of wallpaper.
- She always forgets to put lids on things (running joke).
- She's bold, independent, and courageous despite being dependent.
- She has meltdowns, but is able to learn from them.
- She'll rip a strip off anyone who tries to hurt me or her brothers.
- She watches scary slasher movies for Christmas.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2022, 4:03 pm

Your kids sound like wonderful people :)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 10:26 pm

I love this.

We have the best kids in the world, and I know there are struggles raising them, but we want to figure those struggles out precisely because we see much in them.

My ASD son will do anything for anyone, once he is aware there is an issue. He always wants to make people happy, he just may not always know how. Unlock that bridge of communication, and I've never seen anyone nearly as sincerely and unresentfully generous. He's also a cuddle monster even at 25 which makes me a very happy mom. And, of course, he is smart and talented, traits which I am grateful enough people in this world are capable of seeing to insure he has a solid future.

My non-ASD daughter has a sincere desire to do good in this world via her career, and is on track to make that happen. She has the most adorable laugh in the world, I swear, and can be wickedly funny. She has to be careful, though, because of that wicked part (the line separating wickedly funny from mean can be thin). Also smart and talented, which people see easily.

Both kids have an impressive and inherent sense of fairness and justice.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2022, 1:44 pm

Aww. You sound so proud of your kids, DW_a_mom.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 4:27 pm

Thanks!

FYI, in case anyone wasn't sure, "we" for "we have the best kids in the world" was meant to refer to all us parents with the privilege of raising children on the spectrum. I know for some parents the burdens are larger than the obvious benefits, so not all parents will jump out of the gate making such a statement, but I do believe that for many (hopefully most) of us it really is true.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2022, 12:30 am

I knew what you meant :)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 11:55 am

My newborn is soft and snuggly and really fun to cuddle. And it's really neat to see her looking at things and trying to figure them out.