Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 7:18 pm

Women have a lot of pressure on how they look, to the point where you feel you have not got a choice. Ever seen a woman with unshaved legs exposed in public in certain cultures like the UK? The only ones that might just about get away with it are women with visible disabilities (physical or neurological), or elderly ladies (but not sure if they grow leg hair when they're old?). Otherwise I don't think any woman has ever dared to go out exposing unshaved legs. Every man, woman and child will stare and ridicule you. In fact, in certain cultures (like the UK) women with exposed unshaved legs will literally be treated like they've gone out naked or something. I think the social pressure is so harsh and important that it's a wonder it isn't law.

Have you ever dared to go out exposing hairy legs?

Oh, it's fine if you're a man by the way. Nobody bats an eye. Guys are given the choice. Some may shave it off while others can choose to leave it. It's acceptable either way. Same with armpit hair. If a woman is seen with visible armpit hair it'll be "gross".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 7:58 pm

It’s probably true now.

But it wasn’t true in the 70s.

I agree it’s not fair.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 8:01 pm

That's not true at all here.

Lots of women don't shave under their arms, or their legs.

People are more organic about their looks and gender expression.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 8:04 pm

It's very strict in the UK for women to have to shave their legs. I only shave my legs during the warmer months when I might wear shorts. My legs stay hairy in the winter. Keeps my legs warm. I always shave under my arms though.

Sometimes I even have nightmares about going out wearing shorts with unshaved legs. These nightmares actually go away once I've shaved my legs in real life. Don't ask. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 8:16 pm

I think hosiery and heels are more out of style here than looking natural.

Especially since Covid.

I get a lot of attention just wearing sundresses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 11:13 pm

NYC is still very “stylish.”

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 11:23 pm

I'm stylish and wear lots of pretty clothes.
I'm just saying people can wear whatever tf they want.
People who don't shave aren't necessarily slobs, either.
They might be stylish too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 4:43 am

I agree. I don’t exactly dress stylish.

I like the “natural” look myself.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2022, 4:53 am

I think the pressure to shave legs has passed the maximum here.
Unshaved legs and armpits were standard in the 1980s, a thing of old people in 1990s and early 2000s, unacceptable in 2010s and now the fashion is relaxing again - at least based on young people on the streets.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2022, 6:20 am

Tbh I have not seen it here either. Mind you, there has been no summer really this year so not many above the ankle items are being worn.

However, I swim regularly but do not think that I have noticed any females unshaven.

I also went to the gym yesterday in shorts and had not shaved for a while myself but I don't think I am at the stage for going with a full blown beard on my legs because I have eczema and it causes itching for me. I don't notice any unshaven females at the gym, they are very well presented IMO ( I am sure some have a head to toe beauty day before arriving at the gym ) so yes I get what you are saying however I like to see people go against social norms. I certainly wouldn't see anything wrong with it/stare or pass comment but I am not everyone.

I guess Madonna and Lourdes have not quite made that "fashionable" here after all this time or I just do not notice :lol: :lol:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 1:28 pm

As an addition to all that, many seem to see it odd if men shave their legs. Really one of the biggest double standards out there.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 1:51 pm

A lot of it comes from religious tradition I believe, something about being clean if I remember.

Generally though I have always waxed because bacteria stays on hair follicles even after a shower/bath which I find disturbing because I have a slight cleanliness OCD.

I doubt anything will change in regards to this as the UK's culture is too strong, it's so strong foreigners that come here become culturally British and adopt our ways so I can't really see a change. It's wrong of course but I think our media is mainly to blame beause we have the most savage one going.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 2:30 pm

Yup, it's definitely rare not to shave or wax in the UK.

Opaque tights are amazing!

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 11:55 pm

I no longer shave my legs. I am in the US, mid life and blonde. I was teased when I was younger and more regularly shaved (or other hair removal). I have not had anyone pick on my recently although the standard in my region is for women to shave. Kids comment on my facial hair and a friend privately expressed concern. I now shave my armpits, but didn't in my 20s. My ASD daughter has dark brown hair. She will need to make a choice soon about hair removal; it seems her options remain the same as mine were (conform or be teased).

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2022, 12:37 am

I went out with my unsaved hairy legs this morning. And then again this afternoon.

I typically wear skirts and socks, so not a lot of my leg shows, but it's there if you look.

No one has ever said anything to me about it, except my mother. My mother can be very rude. The rest of the world has been fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 5:20 pm

Pteranomom wrote:
I went out with my unsaved hairy legs this morning. And then again this afternoon.

I typically wear skirts and socks, so not a lot of my leg shows, but it's there if you look.

No one has ever said anything to me about it, except my mother. My mother can be very rude. The rest of the world has been fine.

I admire your bravery.

If I went out with exposed unshaved legs I'd feel like everybody's judging me even if they're too polite to judge out loud. I know people would be whispering to each other and some teens might taunt me about it. If I wanted that sort of attention then I might as well go out naked. But I don't want that sort of attention, so shaved legs it is.

When I was at high school the only time my legs were exposed was in Phys Ed classes, and I never shaved my legs because nobody told me I had to just because I'm a girl, so I thought we had the choice and that nobody cared either way. I didn't look at the other girls' legs so I don't know if they did or not, but if the same rule applied at school as it does in adulthood then I bet having unshaved legs was one of the reasons I didn't have many friends.