Gen Z discovers Kate Bush in a big way due to Netflix show

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 5:48 am

The strangest thing? Why Kate Bush is back at the top of the charts

Quote:
ate Bush scoring an unexpected smash hit with a 37-year old song? Stranger things, if you can excuse the pun, have happened, but not many. Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God), which initially reached No 3 in the UK in 1985, has suddenly soared to the top of the UK and US iTunes charts after featuring in the Netflix series Stranger Things. It has also rocketed to no 4 in the the Spotify Top 200 chart – after a 153% increase in streams – and the Stranger Things effect means it is now the artist’s most-streamed track, toppling the hallowed Wuthering Heights.

Stranger Things – a supernatural/sci-fi horror set in the fictional town of Hawkins, Indiana, in the 1980s – is a particular smash with the Generation Z of 10 to 25-year-olds, and so is exposing our vulnerable youth to all manner of audio and visual nostalgia, from period pop to mullet haircuts.

Running Up That Hill – from Bush’s classic album, Hounds Of Love – debuted in the first episode of season four. It plays on the Walkman of one character, and reappears in other key scenes. Running Up The Hill’s lyrics – “If only I could make a deal with God, I’d get him to swap our places” – are apposite and illustrate the power of music as a therapeutic reviving force.

This is not the first time an old tune has enjoyed a surprise Indian summer after featuring in Stranger Things. Limahl’s theme tune for The NeverEnding Story enjoyed an 800% boost in YouTube searches after appearing in season three, upon which the former Kajagoogoo frontman told Entertainment Weekly that he was “very touched” by its resurgence.

Could other songs appearing in season four enjoy some of that Stranger Things effect? Keep your eyes on Dead Or Alive’s You Spin Me Round (Like A Record), Talking Heads’ Psycho Killer, Musical Youth’s Pass The Dutchie and the Cramps’ wonderfully titled cult classic, I Was a Teenage Werewolf to find out.

I am absolutely thrilled to see this. Everybody needs to discover or rediscover Kate Bush.

Related:
Wrong Planet thread - Thanks To Tik Tok What Is Old Is New Again

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 6:54 am

Wait until they hear wuthering heights

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 7:30 am

klanka wrote:
Wait until they hear wuthering heights

Love Wuthering Heights and Bubushka.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 9:07 am

Pretty much amazed by everything she does.

If I had to pick favorites
“Babushka”
“Wow”
“Them Heavy People”
“Breathing”
“Sat in Your Lap”
“Suspended in Gaffa”
“The Dreaming”
“The Sensual World”
“Deeper Understanding” Directors Cut Version

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 1:49 pm

The Bush is back!
Great news, but I feel you really have to watch the music videos to get the full Kate Bush experience. :D

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 1:54 pm

It's nice to see that song being the most popular, have had it played at family members funerals before.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 12:41 am

Kate Bush Website

Quote:
It’s all so exciting! Since the last post, Running Up That Hill has gone to No 1 in Norway and Austria. This is such great news and we just heard today that it’s up from No 8 to No 4 in the US.
The track is being responded to in so many positive ways. I’ve never experienced anything quite like this before!
I just want to say a really big thank you to everyone in the US who has supported the song. It’s the first time I’ve had a top ten single over there and now it’s in the top 5!
Thank you so much again to the Duffer Brothers - because of their latest, extraordinary series of Stranger Things, the track is being discovered by a whole new audience.
Best wishes,
Kate

She is really touched by this. This was her third post on the subject. Outside of her work, she is a woman of few words, even reclusive at times. The Album this is off of "Hounds of Love" is at number 12. In her first go-round she was hugely popular around the world but could never become more than a "cult" act in America. This song when it got to number 30 in 1985 was her highest-charting single prior to this in America. In the midst of the Second British Invasion, they said she was "too British", too weird", "too arty", and "too intelligent" for an American audience, and yet here we are.

With endless bad news happening here, it is just so wonderful to have good news.

My hope is that the new fans of her and this song take a look at her other work.
Wrong Planet Thread - Do You like Kate Bush?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 1:00 am

So gen z can recognize there was some good music put out before they were born, and some of them are jamming to it...I don't really see any problem. I mean there was a netflix show that also popularized the song 'anyone who knows what love is', by Irma Thomas. Like I really liked that song and on youtube comments people pointed out the orginal song and damn if I put it on it is hard to not just keep that song on repeat.

I mean Irma Thomas is amazing and I would not have known if that episode of the show hadn't put that song, it was a good song so I had to look up who the actual artist was. So like so what if younger kids find a lot of older music was cool to? is it really going to harm anything if kids appreciate different music?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 1:14 am

I'm so out if touch. I'm completely unfamiliar with this artist. At first I thought probably too new too young for my taste.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 3:31 am

Moma once said "you know that you're getting old when the media talks about how a fad is being "revived" that you were to old participate in the first time it was popular.

Kate Bush burst on the scene just after the Seventies and the start of the Eighties -which happened to be just as I left school, and stopped being hip to the latest music. One of the first artists "after my time".

So...I guess this means that I just crossed the boundary line into being "old".

I remember seeing her pictures on record albums and thinking about how nice looking she is. And when I visited the campus of a college I had gone to I saw graffitti written by the next wave of kids after me in which someone wrote that what the other person said was "a Kate Bush-ism". But I never did learn to recognize "Kate Bush-isms". :lol:

I did play one of her songs on my public access radio show. Played it for "Pi Day" (March 14th). Her song "Pi".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 6:22 am

They say "your" music is supposed to be the music that was popular when you were a teenager. While I liked the hard rock and heavy metal that predominated my high school years I think of the new wave/synthpop/alt music from when I was a twentysomething as "my" music. Also I even really liked the 90s grunge/alternative music from when I was well into my 30s more than the music from my teenage and college years in the 70s. I guess it had something to do with Autistic developmental delays :D .

I had heard of Bush in the late 70s when I was in college when she was known as "the English Songbird". I think I might have heard 'Wuthering Heights' on the radio once or twice. On American TV there was this alternative culture program "Night Flight" that ran from 11PM until dawn Friday and Saturday Nights during the '80s. What had happened was that she was supposed to come here for a promotional tour but something happened to the plane and they shipped a videotape of the Hammersmith Odean concert from '79 that 'Night Flight' aired in its entirety. I sat there in the middle of the night watching it on my 19 inch Sharp TV becoming more and more stunned and mesmerized etc. Truth be told in the 70s I never would have appreciated it. I was not mature enough to get it. I would have dismissed it as girls music. By the time I saw it on 'Night Flight' not only I was more mature but I had been exposed to and was all into quirky New wave female vocalists like Lene Lovich, from such groups as the B-52s. She was and is multiple layers more intelligent and cultured than me to this day but I "get" her more than enough.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 6:50 am

I actually think we have a broader taste because we go and explore music, whereas NTs will just listen to what their friends are listening to.

I don't think it's because of a developmental delay. I have always loved 80 music. I think I may have started taking an interest in music before my peers. One of my friends who is the same age as me in the 00s said she couldn't understand how I had such vivid memories of the 80s, she felt like she had forgotten most of it and the music.

I couldn't understand why my peers moved on so quickly in the 90s. I did enjoy 90s music, but I was still interested in discovering 80s bands too and I started really getting into 60s music because I could see the connection between it and Britpop of the time.

Edit. I had a friend in the 00s try and get me into Kate Bush by lending me The Dreaming. I will never get that album. Though I do like a handful of her songs.

The first the I heard Running up that Hill in the 80s I was obsessed with it. I can understand why kids love it now. I hope they aren't as disappointed with the rest of her stuff as I was

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 11:51 am

hurtloam wrote:
I actually think we have a broader taste because we go and explore music, whereas NTs will just listen to what their friends are listening to.

I don't think it's because of a developmental delay. I have always loved 80 music. I think I may have started taking an interest in music before my peers. One of my friends who is the same age as me in the 00s said she couldn't understand how I had such vivid memories of the 80s, she felt like she had forgotten most of it and the music.

I couldn't understand why my peers moved on so quickly in the 90s. I did enjoy 90s music, but I was still interested in discovering 80s bands too and I started really getting into 60s music because I could see the connection between it and Britpop of the time.

Edit. I had a friend in the 00s try and get me into Kate Bush by lending me The Dreaming. I will never get that album. Though I do like a handful of her songs.

The first the I heard Running up that Hill in the 80s I was obsessed with it. I can understand why kids love it now. I hope they aren't as disappointed with the rest of her stuff as I was

Maybe “developmental delay” is then wrong term. Maybe as being discussed in a ongoing thread “age dysphoria” is the right term. There were certain things which I was way ahead of my peers. There are certain “milestones” you are expected to hit in ones teens and twenties that I have not come close to doing.
Off Topic
The Britpop 1960s connection was no accident. It was a reaction against the domination of American grunge. Bands such as Oasis and Blur did this by mining the most British bands of the 1960s such as the Kinks. Also in contrast to grunge the mood was upbeat.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Jun 2022, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 11:54 am

Ah yes I can relate to that. I always felt a bit older than my peers in some ways, but younger in others

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 7:13 pm

Kate Bush breaks 3 records simultaneously as 'Running Up That Hill' reaches number 1

Quote:
The iconic British songstress Kate Bush has, against all odds, returned to the top of the UK charts with her classic single 'Running Up That Hill' which has had a resurgence in popularity after it was played on Netflix's Stranger Things.

Thanks to the wonders of technology and streaming services the song has rocketed back up the charts and on Friday it was confirmed that Bush has toppled 'As It Was' by Harry Styles from the top spot.

If that wasn't impressive enough the 63-year-old managed to break three records simultaneously by returning back to the top of the charts, as reportedly by the Official Charts Company.

First things first, Bush now holds the longest gap between number-one singles for one artist with 44 years. Her last number one was 'Wuthering Heights' which topped the charts in 1978. This record surpasses the previous holder Tom Jones who had 42 years between his songs 'Green Green Grass of Home' and charity the single '(Barry) Islands in the Stream.'

Bush's second record is Running Up That Hill has taken the longest amount of time to reach number one after its initial release. When the song was first released in 1985 it reached a high of number nine. That means it has taken 37 years to climb eight places higher and claim the top spot. The previous record was held by Wham whose festive classic 'Last Christmas' took 36 years to reach number one.

And lastly, Bush is now the oldest female to ever reach number one at the age of 63 years and 11 months. She beats the previous record set by Cher who was 52 when Believe dominated the charts in 1998. Bush is now fifth on the all-time list of singers to claim a UK number one behind Louis Armstrong, Tom Jones, Elton John and Captain Tom Moore.

Kate Bush wrote:
"The Duffer Brothers have created four extraordinary series of Stranger Things in which the child actors have grown into young adults. In this latest series, the characters are facing many of the same challenges that exist in reality right now. I believe the Duffer Brothers have touched people’s hearts in a special way, at a time that's incredibly difficult for everyone, especially younger people.

"By featuring Running Up That Hill in such a positive light - as a talisman for Max (one of the main female characters) - the song has been brought into the emotional arena of her story. Fear, conflict and the power of love are all around her and her friends.

"I salute the Duffer Brothers for their courage - taking this new series into a much more adult and darker place. I want to thank them so much for bringing the song into so many people’s lives.

"I’m overwhelmed by the scale of affection and support the song is receiving and it’s all happening really fast, as if it’s being driven along by a kind of elemental force. I have to admit I feel really moved by it all. Thank you so very much for making the song a No 1 in such an unexpected way."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 9:04 pm

Its not exactly unprecedented for a movie to cause an oldy to reappear on the charts.

The Nineties Lion King movie caused a revival of the early Sixties hit "the Lion Sleeps Tonight" by the Tokens and for it to reappear on the charts after forty years.

The Movie "2001" caused the Nineteenth Century symphonic piece "Thus Spake Zarathustra" to become popular in the 1970s. Elvis latched on to it to play at the start of his live concerts, Deodato had a hit with a jazz-rock fusion version of it, and DC's Chuck Brown did a go-go version of the piece.