Autistics really don't understand idle chatter

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 4:26 pm

^You've never offended me I don't think.

The reason I go on here a lot is because I use WP on my mobile device, not the computer. And like most humans I'm often on my phone. Usually I'm on WP when I'm in bed, even if I'm doing other things on my phone I still go back to WP just for an update check, like I do on Facebook.

It seems though that a lot of people here use their computers to access WP. If I only used my computer for WP I'd most probably be on here a lot less! :)

I have tried looking elsewhere, not for autism sites exactly but for sites geared for people with ADHD, but I couldn't find any like WP. I'd rather join one that is from the UK but that's even harder to find. I do belong to a few Facebook groups for women with ADHD but I'd like a forum like this one too.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 1:31 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Suzyb wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Why don’t you try it and see what happens?

Agree why don’t you start a Joe’s chit chat thread as opposed to different threads. There becomes so many on here that it’s mind boggling. It can keep running. Maybe, I dunno.

That's a good idea actually. But wouldn't it be better suited in the social skills and making friends section?

I don't think so. If you post in the social skills and making friends section, people are much more likely to assume that you are asking for advice. (Or at least that's what I, for one, tend to assume about all posts in that section.)

I would suggest a thread called "Joe's chitchat" in either The Haven or the Members Only section, or possibly Random Discussion.

I would also suggest that your intro post in that thread specifically state that you are not looking for advice, and perhaps also a disclaimer that feelings expressed do not necessarily imply any beliefs about how the world should or shouldn't work.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 5:31 pm

Quote:
..feelings expressed do not necessarily imply any beliefs about how the world should or shouldn't work.

You have just said exactly what I've been trying to describe. Thank you! :)

I often find myself trying to win the battle of words on this forum and then get frustrated when I can't use intellect to describe a matter. A lot of people on here use intellect, like in a textbook, while I write similar to articles in a magazine. Some English words people use here are words I have never heard before or have never used, so I have to use the online dictionary to check what a word means. Even that sometimes doesn't give me an answer I'd understand.

The thing I get mostly lost with is political discussions, which is why I avoid the PPR if I can. For example, a few years ago I didn't know what "political correctness" meant. I thought it meant being right about politics, for example knowing who your current prime minister or president is or something. :lol:
And there are other political terms that I don't understand even if I research it on Google. So I think some members get frustrated with my dimwitted posts and I get frustrated with others for outsmarting me instead of trying to understand where I'm trying to come from.
But I don't actually hold a grudge against any members (unless they were really nasty to me personally), so if I do get into an argument with a member in one thread, I could be having a sympathetic sort of discussion with the same member in another thread.

I could start a "Joe's chitchat" thread, maybe using your idea of adding a disclaimer and perhaps steal your words that I quoted. :)
But I vowed not to start any new threads for 30 days because I feel I was starting too many new threads which are really just asking stupid questions.

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2022, 6:12 pm

Brilliant! I think that’s much better advice from an experienced member. I am looking forward to your new thread.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 4:54 am

I've just seen a new term in another thread here that I think describes a lot of new threads that I start - Thought Experiment. I think this is the right term. I have a thought and have the urge to share it to see what other people think, not necessarily looking for logical answers or advice or judgement, just thinking out loud. I used to do that on Facebook but I learnt it's embarrassing to keep posting every thought that comes to mind on your timeline. It seems to be more socially acceptable to do this on forums like this.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 7:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
All right, a lot of autistics don't understand the concept of idle chitchat, and sometimes I find people's literal thinking here a bit exhausting.

Often I start a thread just for the sake of a discussion, or a way to get thoughts off my chest anonymously. I don't want advice or criticism, I just want discussion. Like chatting, gossip, etc.

A lot of autistics have the "if they're not hurting anyone/if they're not affecting you then so what?" attitude about everything, and think that you should only post about someone if they're affecting you or if they're hurting people, otherwise, you can't talk about them. Then there's the "how would you like it if people gossiped about you to a bunch of strangers on a forum?" People probably have done just that, or they probably gossip about me at work when I'm not there, but as long as I don't know for sure and it isn't potential bullying, I probably wouldn't care. Not all gossip is malicious. I like to gossip. I find people fascinating. I have an interest in people. But on WP it seems like I'm not allowed to have an interest in people unless they affect me in some way.

Some of my threads (the ones that aren't rants) are just idle chitchat. I find idle chitchat and gossiping so much easier with NTs because they just listen and join in and we bond. Would I get less of the "so what's it got to do with you?" attitude if I posted idle chitchat stuff in the random discussion?

I get what you mean there. I don't know if it's specifically an autism thing or if it's just that some people are fixers so they try to offer solutions and that comes natural to them.

I've posted things that to me are just random and I don't really want a solution because it's not actually a problem but I've ended up with people offering me solutions.

I like reading some of your posts Joe. I think you have a really good social and self awareness.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 7:30 am

Why not change the name of this thread and take it from there?

A music related forum I go on has a “Den of Iniquity” thread. It’s the same idea… post stuff that’s probably not worth starting a whole new thread about. It’s supposed to be light-hearted and leads to some surprising places.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 7:50 am

Trueno wrote:

A music related forum I go on has a “Den of Iniquity” thread. It’s the same idea… post stuff that’s probably not worth starting a whole new thread about. It’s supposed to be light-hearted and leads to some surprising places.

I thought that's what the random thoughts and what's on you mind threads were for in the random discussion forum.

Also Joe I don't think it's fair to tar all autistic people with the same brush. Isn't that the exact same stereotype that you yourself are trying to escape from.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Also Joe I don't think it's fair to tar all autistic people with the same brush. Isn't that the exact same stereotype that you yourself are trying to escape from.

I did specify that not all autistics are like it. I just couldn't fit the word "some/a lot" in the OP so corrected myself in the OP. I do get sick of having to keep adding those adverbs all the time to avoid being accused of tarring everyone with the same brush.

I do often use the rants thread, if I feel that starting a new thread on something will cause unintended bickering. But sometimes I want to be more heard than that. Thought experiment, see.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:13 pm

Yes you did. Sorry my mistake.

You do have a particular style of writing that could sometimes come across as if you are asking for help.

Just saying.

You can't go pointing your finger at the good people of WP for misunderstanding your intentions when it could actually be something you have done (unintentionally) to provoke that response.

Happy experimenting Joe90.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jul 2022, 8:07 pm

babybird wrote:
I get what you mean there. I don't know if it's specifically an autism thing or if it's just that some people are fixers so they try to offer solutions and that comes natural to them.

I've posted things that to me are just random and I don't really want a solution because it's not actually a problem but I've ended up with people offering me solutions.
I think this is a male stereotype & some people think of Aspergers as an extreme male brain so it makes sense to me that lots of autistics would be like that. There are plenty of exceptions of corse.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jul 2022, 8:09 pm

babybird wrote:
Trueno wrote:

I thought that's what the random thoughts and what's on you mind threads were for in the random discussion forum.
I thought this as well before I read your response.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition