Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 2:57 pm

OK, please read carefully because I'm not going to repeat myself.

I got so desperate for my favourite audiobooks that they don't seem to sell anywhere but kept seeing them when googling, that I gave in and bought the Audible app. I pay for it monthly, which has been the first app I have ever paid for (as usually I don't agree with paying for apps and try to avoid it if I can), but it meant I also had to sign up for an Amazon account too, so out of desperation I did that - and Amazon was something I vowed to never sign up for, but I had to do it if I really wanted my beloved audiobooks.

I bought my favourite series of books that I paid extra for on Audible, which is supposed to have 14 but only 9 of them are available on the whole world wide web - which is really annoying because I thought that if I'm PAYING FOR the app and for downloading the audiobooks then they should have ALL audiobooks in the series because it isn't copyright if you're PAYING for it. It's happened with a couple of my other favourite series too - only half the series are available on Audible but not the rest (and I don't mean the first or last half, I mean random ones).

Whenever I do search deeply for my desired audiobooks I just get Amazon wanting to sell me physical books or audio CDs - which I don't want. :roll:
Yet the DVDs I want aren't sold physically any more and you can only watch them online. :roll:

Typical!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 3:39 pm

Strange that they would only do voiceovers for some books in a series. I suppose it is quite a budget to hire an actor for hours and hours to read books. I assume the actor doesnt just do the book in one take either :)

Nowadays they would know which series is popular enough to warrant doing the whole series.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 7:29 am

Well my audiobooks are rather short (I prefer audiobooks aimed at younger readers). They were popular in the 90s and the author of one of the series is still popular today (she sometimes writes up articles in the newspaper I think).

I used to have one of the audiobooks on tape when I was little, and it's one of the ones that I can't find on Audible. I no longer have the tape and I prefer to have all the series on my Audible app, being so I pay for it.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 6:21 am

If you want a source of audio books that is not exactly kosher, look at Usenet. There are a number of groups with audio books on it that you can download and listen to.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 6:55 pm

kokopelli wrote:
If you want a source of audio books that is not exactly kosher, look at Usenet. There are a number of groups with audio books on it that you can download and listen to.

I tried that but the audiobooks I want never came up.

I just feel enraged that you pay monthly for an app specifically designed to download a choice of thousands of different audiobooks that you like, also paying to download an audiobook if you run out of the one credit you get a month, and yet your favourite authors only decide to make half their series of books available yet the other half totally unfindable.

I'm fed up. :x

I even emailed my favourite author from the email address I found on her website, but it's probably got lost in the junk filter or something, as I don't know if any common Joe (no pun intended) can just send an author an email and get a reply, I don't know.