Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:13 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
The actor who played Anakin in Episodes 2 and 3 was so bad he’s hysterical.

The love scenes were the worst I've EVER scene. At least the bad acting took away from the awful writing and plot.

Hayden Christianson was fortunate that Episodes 2 and 3 came out well before the social media age. The current generation are more cruel toward later actors because social media enables internet trolls piling up on the actors rather than the characters (the latter requires critical thinking something trolls and extreme fans are incapable off).

But yes, Hayden was a pretty awful actor but he was "cute" and marketable. Disney have a lot to answer for their treatment of later actors like John Boyega. I can;t imagine how he felt about Chinese audiences not wanting to see his face.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:16 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
From what I gathered at the time it was the African American community who complained about Jar Jar being a negative stereotype. They compared Jar Jar to Stepin Fetchit an actor who critics say personified negative black stereotypes in the 1920s and '30s.

The origin of the critics by racial background can't be demonstrated for blacks but its easy to pick up racism coming from non-black SW fans. They weren't the reason he contemplated suicide. He states in an interview that many of the groovy movements and character of Jar Jar was his own input. The criticism of the character (which was also impacted on him as well) is what sent him over the edge.

Jar Jar was a terrible character. So were both Anakins.

I don't necessarily disagree but a lot kids grew up on jar Jar and if you watch the clone wars there is a lot of character development for Jar jar that you miss in the prequels.

My son can’t stand him. He thinks he’s cringey.

Yes I felt that way when I first saw Jar Jar. I was very invested in the sanctity of the Jedi order and the overall vibe of the SW universe which is why Jar Jar's comedic appearance kind of ruined the vibe. But over time I adopted Jar jar as an essential part of the SW landscape. Ask your son to watch the Clones wars as Jar Jar get's more character development (although he remains a bit of a buffoon but that's who he is).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
The actor who played Anakin in Episodes 2 and 3 was so bad he’s hysterical.

The love scenes were the worst I've EVER scene. At least the bad acting took away from the awful writing and plot.

Hayden Christianson was fortunate that Episodes 2 and 3 came out well before the social media age. The current generation are more cruel toward later actors because social media enables internet trolls piling up on the actors rather than the characters (the latter requires critical thinking something trolls and extreme fans are incapable off).

But yes, Hayden was a pretty awful actor but he was "cute" and marketable. Disney have a lot to answer for their treatment of later actors like John Boyega. I can;t imagine how he felt about Chinese audiences not wanting to see his face.

When I watched Episode 2 as soon as it came out, I felt like his performance removed any possible chance at believability and investment in his character.

Much of the acting in general was bad. I think George Lucas was past it by that point. Or maybe he was just lucky all those years ago in getting great actors.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 03 Jun 2022, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:26 pm

There’s no shortage of cute actors who can actually act.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:37 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Much of the acting in general was bad. I think George Lucas was past it by that point. Or maybe he was just lucky all those years ago in getting great actors.

Yes you are right, These casting issues pre-date Disney controlling the storylines. This is perhaps what the current fans conveniently forget. There is also this whole issue of anti-wokeness that SW fans are hyperfocused on any diversity hire in the casting of actors.

If you go back, Lucas seemed to have a pattern of choosing largely unknown actors to play pivotal roles. He certainly struck it lucky with Mark Hammil but of the original cast only Harrison Ford was known for acting outside the SW universe. The others remain typecast (kind of like the child actors cast in the first Harry Potter).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Yes you are right, These casting issues pre-date Disney controlling the storylines. This is perhaps what the current fans conveniently forget. There is also this whole issue of anti-wokeness that SW fans are hyperfocused on any diversity hire in the casting of actors.

If you go back, Lucas seemed to have a pattern of choosing largely unknown actors to play pivotal roles. He certainly struck it lucky with Mark Hammil but of the original cast only Harrison Ford was known for acting outside the SW universe. The others remain typecast (kind of like the child actors cast in the first Harry Potter).

I actually like casting choices in the sequels and current shows better than the prequels. Of course, Episodes 4-6 were the best in my opinion. It’s hard to know how much of that is nostalgia, though.

I cried when Luke dies in Episode 8. :oops:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 8:34 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I actually like casting choices in the sequels and current shows better than the prequels. Of course, Episodes 4-6 were the best in my opinion. It’s hard to know how much of that is nostalgia, though.

I cried when Luke dies in Episode 8. :oops:

Yeah the actors are pretty good. It was sad to see Luke go to the force. In some ways his death and Yoda's force ghost looking at the burning of the Jedi sacred texts symbolises the end of the jedi.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 9:13 pm

All I'm going to say is I'm glad I got off the SW bandwagon years ago. :mrgreen:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 10:57 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
All I'm going to say is I'm glad I got off the SW bandwagon years ago. :mrgreen:

I took a 20 year break from the SW universe between the Return of the Jedi in 1983 and then watching the Phantom Menace in 2003. The latter blew my mind and since then I have been hooked.