Johnny Depp Vs Amber Heard verdict discussion

Page 14 of 15 [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:34 am

I would not touch that tuchas because of all the mensch she may have schlepped with.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 9:14 am

not even in a french raincoat?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:07 am

Non, même si l'imperméable a été vulcanisé.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 12:28 am

This gal never gives up. Now she was claiming one of the jurors was fake but it was confirmed no such thing happened and that juror had always said from the start they are 52 because of their birthdate they put in when they said they can serve jury duty. I am now hearing she is facing charges in Australia. I am not sure if that is hearsay or actually happening. I don't pay attention anymore to what youtube channels say about her because lot of it is just hearsay.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:58 am

Replying to a post here:

DW_a_mom wrote:
I understand the whole "me too" thing as created a hotbed of confusion for a lot of men. I've posted here before that I was witness to a case where a co-worker created real harm, but was completely innocent in his intentions. The disconnect between what men think they are doing and what women are experiencing can be very real.

A few things are worth noting, to help sort out what to worry about and how to act:

1. Know where you are on the power scale. If you have any ability to affect someone's career because you carry more power in the company, you have to start from the assumption that they are not friendly with you by choice. That is your starting place. You aren't their friend, you are their superior. If THEY actively take actions to advance a true friendship, you can accept that friendship, but stay wary. Sad, but that is how it is. Easier to accept real friendships from people at your same level professionally. The lack of understanding power scale placement is probably the number 1 reason behind every misunderstanding I've seen. Professionals moving up the scale aren't always aware their promotions require a change in how they handle personal relationships.

Outside of the workplace, remember that most men have a physical advantage over most women, which means they start higher on the power scale. Men may have to work against the power scale position and achieve more sense of parity in interactions before pursuing relationships.

2. Don't be a power hungry a$$hole at work. Period. Being volatile or demanding means your subordinates will fear you. If they fear you, they can more easily misunderstand your intentions. The guy who yells at work and is mean to people has no friends at work. He thinks he has friends, but he doesn't. What he has are people afraid to upset him, which is extremely ripe soil for misunderstandings.

Moving on to how fiercely an abuser will try to protect their own reputation.

The answer is VERY. They will deny, deny, deny, and deny.

I've always started from the assumption that the person accused doesn't understand the effect of their own actions. I've tried to have conversations to help them ferret out what happened, and if they innocently had fault. Everyone should have an opportunity to do better, right? A lot of men don't want to cause harm, and are humbled when they realize they actually have. The conversation would also be a time to figure out if the accusation was malicious and false, but I have yet to be involved in one where that was the case. Most common, in my experience, is innocent intentions and ignorance of how they came across on the other side.

In what capacity have you been having these conversations? For example, do you work in human resources at some company? Or are you talking just about informal discussions you've had with friends and acquaintances, in no official capacity?

In any case I think you've made excellent points. It needs to be more widely understood that people in positions of power can all-too-easily cause real harm without realizing it, and that they need to become more aware and learn to do better.

Unfortunately these days, there seems to be a too-common attitude that people and actions are either totally harmless or consciously malicious, with no in-between and no willingness to even consider taking responsibility to improve one's behavior.

DW_a_mom wrote:
Men who abuse with some subconscious knowledge or intention, if not conscious ... well, one turned on me. *I* became the target of his emotional abuse for having the gall to believe his ex wife. He even threatened the social well being of my child if I got called to court and testified (our kids were friends, and his son was very popular). When he started dating another friend of mine I found myself between a rock and a hard place, eventually choosing some very careful words to tell the new wife that if something ever felt off, she could come to me. Surely enough, they ended up divorced, and she later told me that she had always appreciated that small seed. Not enough to destroy things if he had changed, but enough for her to think hard when she started to feel uncomfortable in the marriage. Thing is, this man remains a huge part of this community and is very popular. The women in our community have found a brilliant (and very kind) way to keep him from marrying again, thankfully.

What are they doing, exactly (if you are comfortable sharing it)?

DW_a_mom wrote:
You can't confront men like that; you (or someone you care about) just becomes another victim. But don't think that just because someone sues to defend their own reputation that must mean they are innocent. And don't think because someone is popular they are innocent.

Very important point. Popular people can easily get away with causing all manner of harm to lower-status people.

DW_a_mom wrote:
Tricky stuff, interpersonal relationships. Sorting out who is telling the truth, who is lying, who is dangerous. I prefer to protect the most people without having to actually decide. So what some of the women in our community are doing with this man ... brilliant.

For the record, EVERY woman I know in real life has a "me, too" story. Some more serious than others, but we've all been subjected. Some men learn to do better, others don't. It breaks my heart that despite decades of trying to improve the situation, the level of misogyny in our society has been growing, instead.

We shouldn't have to decide who is right and who is wrong. We should simply protect.

I would be very interested in your ideas on how best to protect without deciding who is right and who is wrong. Perhaps start a separate thread on this? (Or point us to an already-existing thread more focused on this issue?)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 11:55 am

I have not been following the Johnny Depp Vs Amber Heard case at all and have no opinion on who is innocent or guilty of whatever. My only knowledge of this case comes from occasional glances at relevant threads here on WP and on Twitter.

More generally, I have zero interest in the personal lives of celebrities, and very little interest in pop culture in general. I've hardly ever watched any movies or TV shows at all during the past few decades.

However, quite apart from the overall question of who is innocent or guilty of whatever, some of the specific arguments I've seen against Amber Heard leap out at me as being glaringly unsound. For example:

League_Girl wrote:
There are body language experts saying she was lying in court.

I wonder how many of these same "body language experts" would deem many autistic people to by liars due to our difficulties with eye contact. I don't have much faith in "body language experts," and I don't think anyone -- especially any autistic person -- should have faith in them either.

Another example in my next post.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 16 Jul 2022, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 12:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmmZcKef2I

WTF is this all about? That pout and snarky smile when she hands the pen back...........

Before filing a defamation claim which is false, it helps to know whether you're convincing to other people and not only oneself. Is every facet of her life completely encompassed and swallowed by the need to put on a public spectacle with the intent to shamelessly look posh?

Everything is just posing to her..............everything
These viewers' comments are priceless!

• "She's writing down every truthful thing she's said during this whole case."

• "If she's this manipulative in the courtroom, just imagine at home."

• "Imagine being her lawyer and seeing her do that. They HAVE to know how crazy she is."

• "Her fake writing is the best acting she's ever done."

• "The fact that she does that so brazenly in front of her lawyer is staggering. Absolutely no shame."

• "The lawyer next to her looked utterly confused. Now imagine the person on the receiving end of these 'notes'."

• "Everything about this trial with her, is theater. She's even pretending to be taking notes, so she can be perceived as such. She's something else, man."

• "I kept telling my partner there was no way she needs to take this many notes. It always looks like she's scribbling random things just to look like she's actually finding errors in the case. This is so humiliating for her."

• "That's her defense mechanism. I caught that a long time ago. That's her actually feeling uncomfortable and trying to escape anyway she knows how by acting like she's actually doing some thing right but really she's already exposed so she can't hide anymore."

• "She's writing down all the times she got abused."

:lol:

All this to-do about the fact she spent a few seconds wiggling a pen above a piece of paper without actually writing. The video was titled "Amber Heard gets caught taking notes, but her pen doesn't touch the paper."

But to me this is a very familiar behavior. My mother used to do this a lot. Often she would wiggle a pen in the air for a few seconds before actually writing. She did this because it helped her avoid getting writer's cramp.

The need to avoid writer's cramp is now a thing of the past for most people in most situations, now that smartphones are ubiquitous. But I guess smartphones are not allowed in the courtroom?

What I see in this video is a woman struggling to retain her composure while feeling very distressed, confused, and overwhelmed. As part of this, I see her preparing to write some notes, but then feeling confused about what to write.

And I would expect most people to feel similarly overwhelmed during a trial, regardless of whether they are innocent or guilty.

It really is a huge stretch to read any evidence of guilt into this video clip. And to me it's scary that so many people, apparently, are jumping to such far-reaching conclusions based on such flimsy evidence.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 8:32 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I have not been following the Johnny Depp Vs Amber Heard case at all and have no opinion on who is innocent or guilty of whatever. My only knowledge of this case comes from occasional glances at relevant threads here on WP and on Twitter.

More generally, I have zero interest in the personal lives of celebrities, and very little interest in pop culture in general. I've hardly ever watched any movies or TV shows at all during the past few decades.

However, quite apart from the overall question of who is innocent or guilty of whatever, some of the specific arguments I've seen against Amber Heard leap out at me as being glaringly unsound. For example:

League_Girl wrote:
There are body language experts saying she was lying in court.

I wonder how many of these same "body language experts" would deem many autistic people to by liars due to our difficulties with eye contact. I don't have much faith in "body language experts," and I don't think anyone -- especially any autistic person -- should have faith in them either.

Another example in my next post.

That's why I didn't use body language to decide who to believe (though NT's do that a lot). However, it was actually all the external evidence, eg, audio recordings, photographs, evidence of tampering with photos etc, even lack of medical records of injuries (there were none at all) that made me decide not to believe her.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:02 am

Was thinking, she's ill. Her legal team was exploiting the lies her disorder generates for their own gain. I'm sure they knew exactly what they were doing.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:39 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

DW_a_mom wrote:
Men who abuse with some subconscious knowledge or intention, if not conscious ... well, one turned on me. *I* became the target of his emotional abuse for having the gall to believe his ex wife. He even threatened the social well being of my child if I got called to court and testified (our kids were friends, and his son was very popular). When he started dating another friend of mine I found myself between a rock and a hard place, eventually choosing some very careful words to tell the new wife that if something ever felt off, she could come to me. Surely enough, they ended up divorced, and she later told me that she had always appreciated that small seed. Not enough to destroy things if he had changed, but enough for her to think hard when she started to feel uncomfortable in the marriage. Thing is, this man remains a huge part of this community and is very popular. The women in our community have found a brilliant (and very kind) way to keep him from marrying again, thankfully.

What are they doing, exactly (if you are comfortable sharing it)?

It's a group of happily married women who basically flirt with him, keep him company, and feed his ego. He gets to be surrounded by very friendly women fawning all over him at every social function, none of whom he can date.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 4:24 am

IMHO paying attention to the private lives of most celebs is a lot like looking under a big rock.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 9:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
IMHO paying attention to the private lives of most celebs is a lot like looking under a big rock.

I'm surprised at you. How would you feel if millions of people didn't want to pay attention to your private life?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 9:22 am

relieved.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 8:05 am

In other news, there's been a ton unsealed documents regarding evidence that did not make it to trial. I've seen a lot of news articles misrepresenting what was in them though. There's nothing there that I thought was particularly damning to him, regardless of what's being reported.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 10:40 am

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2022, 4:28 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Depp's lawyers wanted you watching that trial; he chose the venue. A state where broadcast was allowed. I hate it. It has fed all the worst instincts of humanity.

Late to the party.....
Broadcasting the trial was a good thing. People could actually watch the trial for themselves instead of getting the information from the media, which some of them were pretty much, lying. From claiming AH had strong evidence against Depp, to claiming it was just his word against hers and the jury just believed him (CNN), etc.

Some of the media have shown a bias in favor of AH. The fact that we can check whether the media was lying or not about the case by actually watching the trial for ourselves, is a GOOD thing.