Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2022, 2:12 am

I think they might be one of my favourite bands, but I have a couple of handfuls of favourite bands.

I want to share the song named Empte. They have songs that might be better but Empte is a good starting point if you don’t know their music.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 11:37 am

I'm alright... I just slipped on these DAMN stairs!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 11:40 am

Last Rights is probably my favorite album, goes pretty deep. VIVISectVI and Mind are up there as well.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2022, 5:53 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Last Rights is probably my favorite album, goes pretty deep. VIVISectVI and Mind are up there as well.

Can you recommend any other artists?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:12 am

KeepWaiting wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Sadly not really. There are a lot of people who try to sing like Ogre but most of them are either screaming over really old trance music or doing these really bubblegum beats and sounding like Chvrches. The thing I loved about Skinny Puppy, or at least the albums I was listening to, was how much the sample collages sounded like really phat, oldskool crash-n-burn 'battle' hip hop and mixing it with these surreal dystopian landscapes which IMHO outclassed even Trent Reznor's work in that direction (especially adding the depth and story-telling in Last Rights). For example I don't think most people could put in the kind of work it takes, let alone the ideas, to get something like this:

The closest thing I actually heard within industrial in terms of getting some similar flavors was Wumpscut and even there it was hit and miss.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:35 am

I'm going to actually break genre real quick because I can think of something that's been going on over the last decade that's very very industrial-adjacent.

I don't know if you've ever heard of the 'gray area' genre, it centers mostly around one record label (Samurai Music Group and it's daughter label Horo) and mostly centers on the work of ASC and Sam KDC. It's wickedly dark and cerebral. The one thing it lacks is vocals - if that's something you'd need - but if you listen to ASC's 'Astral Projection' album, IMHO it's one of several high water marks of output.

Something from ASC's Astral Projection:

Sam KDC:

Lemna:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 12:13 pm

VIVIsectVI was one of my favourite albums in high school.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 11:35 pm

This cracks me up - SP does Scarface:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 11:42 pm

Never heard of them. I'm old now so none of the songs I like mean anything at all in this crapsack world. Which is frickin hilarious since a lot of songs I like were popular when my parents were young.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 2:51 am

I listened to 'who's laughing now?' it reminded me of a certain depeche mode track but I didnt like it cos it doesnt have a chorus or melody :)
depeche mode's industrial song had both.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 7:53 am

Interesting album review. I would have lifted Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse higher, total disagreement on Last Rights, and I'm a bit less of a Too Dark Park fan but overall interesting dive.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm

The same guy above had a video ranking past and current industrial bands and threw a few at me that I checked out and actually liked a fair bit - ie. 3Teeth and Author & Punisher.

One of the things that impressed me a lot about Author & Punisher is how he fabricated his own Ableton controls. For anyone whose ever seen the Maschine pad which looks like it's a mock-up of an Akai MPC, this guy gave himself a wide array of tools to work with - various oversized metal pots, pots on sliders, a couple big levers, and this armateur he typically has to the right of his rig where he can slide it back and forth and the hand grip has seven or eight buttons for controlling percussion (as well the slides trigger something akin to drum roll). Guy's done a lot of other things as well - ie. he's a surfer, a mechanical engineer, spent some of his time in art school and various metal bands at the time, works in a biology lab, so yeah - he's the sort of guy you'd figure has enough ambition and know-how to throw that kind of rig together himself:

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:21 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
KeepWaiting wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Sadly not really. There are a lot of people who try to sing like Ogre but most of them are either screaming over really old trance music or doing these really bubblegum beats and sounding like Chvrches. The thing I loved about Skinny Puppy, or at least the albums I was listening to, was how much the sample collages sounded like really phat, oldskool crash-n-burn 'battle' hip hop and mixing it with these surreal dystopian landscapes which IMHO outclassed even Trent Reznor's work in that direction (especially adding the depth and story-telling in Last Rights). For example I don't think most people could put in the kind of work it takes, let alone the ideas, to get something like this:

The closest thing I actually heard within industrial in terms of getting some similar flavors was Wumpscut and even there it was hit and miss.

While not near as close as Wumpscut to SPs sound, Samael has a lot of good songs, esp the ones on "Born Under Saturn"

Ogre at times sound like he has a bit of a black metal frog croak to me, wonder if dead bit him? :twisted: :skull:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 10:41 pm

klanka wrote:
I listened to 'who's laughing now?' it reminded me of a certain depeche mode track but I didnt like it cos it doesnt have a chorus or melody :)
depeche mode's industrial song had both.

I feel like both of those aren't positives when evaluating industrial music.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 5:02 pm

It's the worst gospel music I've ever heard.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 12:26 pm

I've been going back through albums that I hadn't listened before (TY to Youtube for that capacity) and I'd always heard people pan Rabies, ie. somehow the idea was that you mix Al Jourgenson in for micromanagement and anything he touches gets too heavily altered in his direction.

Listening through so far I didn't find that to be the case, it doesn't sound like Ministry to me at all, it sounds different than other SP releases in that it's got more of a steady four-on-the-floor dance beat rather than the sprawling 80's hip hop beats that SP's typically more known for, some of the tracks like Two Time Grime really sound like they're having a lot of fun (although I hear often that Al did have friction with some of the members and there was some type of follow-up where certain things were changed in the mix).

Either way - I'm enjoying this album more than I thought I would based on other people's reviews.