Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Zesty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2022, 11:06 am

Hello! I'm a soon to be 20-year-old (my birthday is in August) lady with Asperger's, or ASD Level 1 as it's called on my diagnosis papers. I was diagnosed when I was 14. My lifelong special interest is animals; I currently have a dog & a cat, have had guinea pigs & fancy rats in the past, and hope to work in wildlife rehabilitation as my long-term career someday. I'm hoping to have some good discussions on this forum, seek advice or peer support when needed, and just chat in general because I am more comfortable with "classic" forums like this than with big social media platforms, and I can see the people here are very nice :D I hope to see you all around!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 11:17 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 3:32 pm

Welcome to WP! And I hope you enjoy it here.

But please keep the dog away from me. I definitely prefer cats!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 4:10 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I like animals. I always try and keep one cat and one dog. It is easy to train them to become friend, well maybe not friends but at least to tolerate each other. I do this by holding onto the animals and letting them sniff each other. After awhile the animals catch on that they need to tolerate each other.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 6:16 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 6:22 pm

Welcome Zesty! There are many animal lovers here.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 6:32 pm

Welcome to this forum!
This forum is indeed a great place - you can be yourself here.
I like animals as well. I was able to foster kittens and puppes awhile back until they were old enough to be adopted. I highly recommend the experience.
Wildlife rehabilitation sounds like an awesome career.

Zesty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2022, 10:11 pm

Thank you for the welcome, everybody!

Double Retired - I respect people who don't like dogs, don't worry :) I personally prefer cats too, since they are less overbearing/hyperactive, but I still like dogs just fine (as long as they are well-trained) and my family likes to have one for safety reasons if nothing else. Our current dog is a Golden Retriever who is very friendly and loves everybody, but she is large (60 pounds) and has a loud bark which is enough to scare off most would-be criminals.

jimmy m - Yes, that has been my experience as well. My dog and cat play a bit roughly sometimes but are otherwise friendly to each other, luckily. Sometimes even licking/cuddling each other. They are both very sweet.

beady - I haven't gotten the chance to foster kittens or puppies so far, but I have major respect for people who do. Currently the house we are renting is too small to have any more pets, but hopefully someday I will be in a situation where I can. I am really looking forward to wildlife rehab, as there is a center very close to my house (which also doubles as a museum/education center) so I can build up a repertoire of volunteering relatively easily.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 12:12 am

Welcome to wrongplanet that’s an awesome future career choice :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm

Zesty,

My bride also likes both dogs and cats...but fortunately only "owns" cats. I prefer not to have pets but didn't mind that my bride came with two kitties.

My bride was quite miffed that one of "her" kitties fell in love with me and demoted her to "staff". The kitty followed me around and couldn't keep her paws off me...and the feelings were mutual. :wink:

Those cats were adults when my bride and I married, which was before you were born, so the kitties are long gone. I've resisted replacing them and my bride now gets her time with cats by volunteering at a nearby no-kill cat shelter.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 5:58 pm

welcome, glad you are with us. I have had a lifelong passion for animals of all sorts, too. It has been great to be involved with critters on so many levels all my life, life would have been barren and pointless without all the amimal experiences I have had in 70 years. Sweet memories to look back on. Hope you will find your life filled with the joy of animals in all ways as well. Happy to find other like minds and hearts. <3

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

PheonixDove
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2022, 3:18 pm

Zesty wrote:
Hello! I'm a soon to be 20-year-old (my birthday is in August) lady with Asperger's, or ASD Level 1 as it's called on my diagnosis papers. I was diagnosed when I was 14. My lifelong special interest is animals; I currently have a dog & a cat, have had guinea pigs & fancy rats in the past, and hope to work in wildlife rehabilitation as my long-term career someday. I'm hoping to have some good discussions on this forum, seek advice or peer support when needed, and just chat in general because I am more comfortable with "classic" forums like this than with big social media platforms, and I can see the people here are very nice :D I hope to see you all around!

Welcome to the forum Zesty! I have also recently joined myself.

I can imagine working with wildlife would be an amazing (and fulfilling) career!

dirteerascal1a4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2022, 1:26 pm

Im an animal lover sorry but I hate fscking cats with a passion