Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 11:50 am

Trump Loses to DeSantis in 2024 Straw Poll at Conservative Summit—Again

Quote:
Florida's Governor Ron DeSantis was favored for a second year over former President Donald Trump to be the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nominee at an annual conservative conference.

The Western Conservative Summit has been held in Colorado since 2010. The event is organized by the Centennial Institute at Colorado Christian University, which is located in Lakewood, immediately west of Denver. Summit organizers conduct a straw poll at the event to gauge attendees' preferences for who should be the next presidential candidate.

This year, DeSantis was the frontrunner, with the backing of 71.01 percent of respondents. Trump came in close behind in second place with the support of 67.68 percent. Senator Ted Cruz of Texas was in third place (28.73 percent) and Ben Carson, who served as Trump's Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, came in fourth (24.15 percent)

Because voters were allowed to make more than one choice, through the approval voting method, the percentages of the poll added up to more than 100 percent. Poll conductor Frank Attwood told Colorado Politics last year that the decision to use the approval voting method "minimizes spoilers and sabotage and gives viability and visibility to minor candidates."

The results of the 2022 summit straw poll were similar to those of 2021, although support for both Trump and DeSantis dipped slightly.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 12:43 pm

Like learning that Covid is losing out to Monkey Pox.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 2:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Polling shows Monkey Pox has a higher approval rating but COVID fans are more dedicated, even risking death to help ensure their candidate's base continues to spread and grow.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 4:35 pm

Can DeSantis pull the GOP away from Trump? - Cathy Young for Newsday

Quote:
While full results of the midterm elections are still uncertain, one outcome not in question is the Republican and conservative revolt against Donald Trump: The former president is widely blamed for reducing the predicted “red wave” of GOP victories to a pink splash by alienating mainstream voters and rallying his base to nominate candidates too extreme for the general elections. With Trump in disfavor, even as he prepares to announce a 2024 presidential run, many are looking to Florida’s GOP governor Ron DeSantis, reelected in a landslide with nearly 60% of the vote, as the party’s new leader and 2024 frontrunner. Can DeSantis win — and can he finally accomplish a Trump/GOP uncoupling?

DeSantis, 44, is a former Trump protégé who has sought to inherit the former president’s culture-warrior mantle.

At the same time, DeSantis has proved himself sufficiently flexible and pragmatic to gain support from suburban and urban voters in traditionally Democratic districts, including Latinos. DeSantis’ fans see him as living proof that a strong stance on conservative cultural issues can work as long as it’s combined with pragmatism and competence — and with a personal style that can be combative without crossing the line into boorishness or egomania.

DeSantis critics, who include not only Democrats but many “Never Trump” Republicans, see him as a figure that represents “Trumpism without Trump.” Unlike solid conservatives such as Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) and outgoing congresswoman Liz Cheney of Wyoming, he has never challenged Trump. He has coyly avoided answering questions about the validity of the 2020 presidential election but campaigned for election deniers in other states. And, while avoiding Trump’s in-your-face outrageousness, he has embraced some of the most toxic aspects of Trumpist populism.

DeSantis’ battle against “wokeness” — which, as his post-election remarks indicate, will be the centerpiece of his likely presidential campaign — also highlights some of the problems with the Florida governor. The issues he tackles are ones that appeal not only to conservatives but to many independents and moderates. In too many cases, public school education really has pushed questionable and divisive progressive dogma on race and gender, encouraging kids to see everything through a racial lens or to explore alternative gender identities when they lack the emotional maturity to comprehend such issues.

But the DeSantis approach has been to push his own dogma, with legislation that not only imposes a conservative version of “political correctness” on the K-12 curriculum but infringes on academic freedom in higher education.

If DeSantis manages to break the Republican mainstream away from Trump — a big “if,” since several past attempts at such a divorce have ended in reconciliation—that will be a positive development. But one of the two national parties still needs something better than Trumpism with a human face

I am solidly in the he is "Trumpism without Trump" camp. But I do recognize he is an astute politician who understands what happened last week was a game changer.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 1:41 am

Sadly, the Republican Party Remains
Stuck Between A Rock AnD A TRumP Place;

True That's Not Much oF A Party At All; Nope,

Particularly A Political One That Continues

To Show Integrity That is Not Integral And

Character
That is Spineless;
Overall, only Wishing
to Maintain Power; The

Hell With What The Constitution
And Democracy Even Breathes to Live;

Only The Small Needs of Men Who Are
Selfish And Only Care About WhHere They Rise

or
Fall
Next;

Damned
Be to Whatever
Parts of the Rest of The
Ship Go Down in Mutiny on

The Bounty oF All that Even
Spells Civility of Humanity True;

Overall, The Leadership That Remains
of the Republican Party Has Become a
'Malignant Cancer' Unto IT Self; So, WHO Will

Be American

Enough Remaining to
At Least Put IT into
Treatment for Some
Chance to Bring Political Sanity
Back as For Now As Far As Integrity,
Honor, And Character Comes and Goes
With Tides and Waves That Ship Has Already Sunk...

Stink
Stank
Stunk;

Who Will Dare
Take the Effort
to Reform an Entire
Leadership oF A Party

That Has Become A Christmas
Grinch Against the Merits of Democracy

And Even Basic Human Civility to Spread
A Clean Table Cloth

to Eat

The
'Christmas
Roasted Beast;'

It's Not Uncommon For A
Greatest 'Despicable Leader'
To Have A 'Mini-me' Come to

A Party of 'Minions' Fallen Asleep
At the Helm of the Ship oF FREE DEMOCRACY;

Fortunately, A 'Blue Wave' Powerful Enough HoldS IT At Bay For Now..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2022, 4:06 am

I made the comment on Facebook regarding Fact checking regards to politicians that both parties lie through their teeth. It’s just that the Rethuglicans are more adept and polished at lying than the Dopeycrats.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 11:41 am

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Polling shows Monkey Pox has a higher approval rating but COVID fans are more dedicated, even risking death to help ensure their candidate's base continues to spread and grow.

I believe it. :D

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 7:53 pm

Do not be relieved to see DeSantis rise in popularity. DeSantis is way worse than Trump. DeSantis is very smart and could actually make progress implementing destructive changes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:40 pm

DeSantis tops Trump by 23 points among Republicans in new poll

Quote:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) leads former President Trump by 23 points among Republicans in a hypothetical GOP presidential primary, according to a poll released Tuesday. 

The USA Today-Suffolk University poll found that 56 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning voters prefer DeSantis, while only 33 percent would support Trump. More than 60 percent said they want a nominee who will continue Trump’s policies but is not Trump, while 31 percent want the former president to run. 

“Republicans and conservative independents increasingly want Trumpism without Trump,” said David Paleologos, the director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center. 

The poll also found Trump’s favorable rating among Republicans dropping from 75 percent in October to 64 percent in December. His unfavorable rating has also risen from 18 percent to 23 percent in that time. 

Pollsters found President Biden leading a hypothetical head-to-head match-up with Trump, 47 percent to 40 percent. DeSantis led Biden in the poll by about 4 points, 47 percent to 43 percent. 

Almost two-thirds of GOP and GOP-leaning voters want DeSantis to run for president in 2024, while only 24 percent do not want him to.

DeSantis seeks grand jury investigation of Covid-19 vaccines
Quote:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Tuesday that he plans to petition the state’s Supreme Court to convene a grand jury to investigate “any and all wrongdoing” with respect to the Covid-19 vaccines.

The Republican governor, who is often mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2024, gave no specifics on what wrongdoing the panel would investigate, but suggested it would be in part aimed to jogging loose more information about the vaccines and potential harmful side effects.

He made the announcement following a roundtable with Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo and a panel of scientists and physicians, in which some discussion centered on the fact that pharmaceutical companies have not provided their data on the Covid-19 vaccines to independent researchers.

“We’ll be able to get the data whether they want to give it or not,” DeSantis said. “In Florida, it is illegal to mislead and misrepresent, especially when you are talking about the efficacy of a drug.”

Statewide grand juries, usually comprised of 18 people, can investigate criminal activity and issue indictments but also examine systemic problems in Florida and make recommendations. Recent such panels have tackled immigration issues and school safety.

DeSantis noted that Florida recently “got $3.2 billion through legal action against those responsible for the opioid crisis. So, it’s not like this is something that’s unprecedented.” That money came largely through lawsuits and settlements with drug makers, retailers and distributors.

DeSantis said he expects to get approval from the Supreme Court for the statewide grand jury to be empaneled, likely in the Tampa Bay area.

“That will come with legal processes that will be able to get more information and to bring legal accountability to those who committed misconduct,” DeSantis said.

DeSantis also announced he is creating an entity called the a “Public Health Integrity Committee,” which will include many of the physicians and scientists who participated in the roundtable on Tuesday.

He said that some people have lost faith in public health institutions, including the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over the course of the pandemic

Prominent DeSantis donor dies in apparent suicide during sexual misconduct probe: report
Quote:
A prominent ally of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis with unprecedented access to local authorities and reportedly under investigation for alleged sexual misconduct has died in what is being investigated as a suicide.

Kent Stermon, 50, of Jacksonville, was found dead in a truck parked outside the Atlantic Beach post office around 8 p.m. Thursday, the Florida Times-Union reported.

Stermon had been reported missing by his wife, Christie, after his heart monitor stopped earlier that day, the First Coast News reported.

Shortly after the discovery of his body, police announced they were investigating his death as a suicide.

Stermon was under investigation for alleged sexual misconduct at the time of his death, law enforcement sources told the Times-Union.

The defense contractor behind Total Military Management, Stermon also sat on the state university system’s Board of Governors. Records show that he and his wife made frequent contributions to Florida GOP candidates, including a $50,000 gift to a political action committee tied to DeSantis.

On Friday, DeSantis’ office said the governor and his wife were “shocked and saddened to hear of Kent’s passing.” A spokesperson also told Politico that the couple were unaware of the investigation into Stermon’s behavior.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:41 pm

I hate DeSatan.

Hate hate hate, double hate, looooathe entirely!! ! :evil:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 12:36 am

blazingstar wrote:
Do not be relieved to see DeSantis rise in popularity. DeSantis is way worse than Trump. DeSantis is very smart and could actually make progress implementing destructive changes.

That's the trouble. Trump would probably have lost the election for the Republicans, but now they know that, they'll probably throw him under a bus and win. :evil:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 9:52 pm

Trump-DeSantis rivalry approaches boiling point

Quote:
The long-simmering tensions between former President Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) are nearing a boiling point amid signs that DeSantis and his team are actively moving toward a 2024 presidential run.
DeSantis’s national ambitions have long irked Trump, who sees himself as the Florida governor’s political benefactor and the GOP’s presumptive 2024 nominee. But Trump’s frustration became more apparent over the weekend, when he called out DeSantis during his first major campaign swing.

“If he runs, that’s fine. I’m way up in the polls. He’s going to have to do what he wants to do, but he may run,” Trump told The Associated Press in an interview after a campaign appearance in South Carolina on Saturday. “I do think it would be a great act of disloyalty because, you know, I got him in. He had no chance. His political life was over.”

Advisers to DeSantis have begun reaching out to potential hires, including several veteran Republican staffers and operatives, according to a person familiar with the moves. The Washington Post reported over the weekend that two top DeSantis campaign veterans — Phil Cox and Generra Peck — were involved in discussions about a 2024 run.

DeSantis, who has largely avoided talking about any potential 2024 plans, hasn’t yet made a final decision on a run, though Republicans almost unanimously believe that a presidential campaign is a near-certainty, with a potential announcement expected later this year after the Florida state legislative session wraps up.

That belief has put him and Trump on an almost-inevitable collision course as they vie for dominance within the GOP.
“I do think DeSantis is going to run. Ninety-eight percent chance,” one Florida Republican operative said. “If you’re DeSantis, I think you’d love to wait until 2028. But you have a particular window. You have to keep the name ID up.”
“On the other hand, I think Donald Trump knows this is his last chance to run,” the operative added. “The idea of trying again in four years — that’s just too much of a reach, even for him.”

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 12:10 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Can DeSantis pull the GOP away from Trump? - Cathy Young for Newsday
Quote:
While full results of the midterm elections are still uncertain, one outcome not in question is the Republican and conservative revolt against Donald Trump: The former president is widely blamed for reducing the predicted “red wave” of GOP victories to a pink splash by alienating mainstream voters and rallying his base to nominate candidates too extreme for the general elections. With Trump in disfavor, even as he prepares to announce a 2024 presidential run, many are looking to Florida’s GOP governor Ron DeSantis, reelected in a landslide with nearly 60% of the vote, as the party’s new leader and 2024 frontrunner. Can DeSantis win — and can he finally accomplish a Trump/GOP uncoupling?

<chant>
Trump must go!
Trump must go!
Trump must go to blazes! :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 12:16 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I hate DeSatan.

You progressives are funny.
You hate any Republican that might have a chance of winning the Presidency.

How can DeSantis be worse than Trump, FFS. :roll:

BTW, I don't want Trump OR DeSantis (The Republicans) to win, due to AUKUS and Ukraine. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 12:19 am

MuddRM wrote:
I made the comment on Facebook regarding Fact checking regards to politicians that both parties lie through their teeth. It’s just that the Rethuglicans are more adept and polished at lying than the Dopeycrats.

Disagree.
Both sides are "A" grade lying bastardos, imo. 8)

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 12:28 am

Pepe wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I hate DeSatan.

You progressives are funny.
You hate any Republican that might have a chance of winning the Presidency.

How can DeSantis be worse than Trump, FFS. :roll:

BTW, I don't want Trump OR DeSantis (The Republicans) to win, due to AUKUS and Ukraine. 8)

He's a younger more politically competent and less stupid version of Trump and that's what makes him worst. :P

Btw im not a progressive. My true political leanings borders more on anarchy. I'd love to see a world where every world government is torn down and silly humans are forced to live in tribes competing with nature for survival like where we belong. :skull: