How much longer until mass shootings make us hermits?

Page 5 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 10:11 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Most people don’t even remember this one.Pre-Columbine.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westsid ... l_shooting

Nobody remembers this one
America's first mass shooting: a WWII veteran killed 13 of his neighbors
Quote:
It was just after 10 in the morning on Sept. 6, 1949 when Philip Buxton flipped to the back of the phone book and found Howard Unruh’s number.

Buxton called. Unruh surprisingly answered.

Buxton, a reporter with the Camden Courier-Post staff, asked Unruh how many people he had killed.

“I don't know yet,” Unruh said, gun in hand, as police officers surrounded his apartment and took aim at his windows. "I haven't counted them, but it looks like a pretty good score."

In about 12 minutes that morning 70 years ago, the 28-year-old WWII veteran shot 16 people in his Camden neighborhood with a semi-automatic pistol. Thirteen would die. The youngest was 2; the oldest 68.

Some mass killers predated Unruh and had more victims. But none murdered so many in such a short time, the United Press reported that day.

Probably the first mass shooter to garner major media attention, Unruh displayed the same temperament reflected in many of his modern counterparts, said Katherine Ramsland, a professor of forensic psychology at DeSales University.

Unruh was rigid, angry and blaming, said Ramsland, the author of "Inside the Mind of Mass Murderers: Why They Kill."

“When you add mental instability or paranoia, as we've seen in many other shooters, you have a recipe for anger boiling over into action,” Ramsland said. “Such people fantasize a lot, which become rehearsals for how they will fix the perceived problem.”

Unruh’s problem was with his neighbors.

After he was arrested, Unruh told police he felt disrespected by just about everyone in his Camden neighborhood. He found fault with nearly all the local shopkeepers over insults, perceived or real, the reports show.

Unruh did not travel as far. He just walked around the neighborhood.

Unruh admitted to prosecutors he had planned his assault early that morning. He picked 9:30 a.m., knowing the stores would be open and occupied by his intended targets.

John Pilarchik, 27, of Pennsauken, was killed during the Howard Unruh massacre in Camden on Sept. 6, 1949.
After his mother cooked him breakfast, he loaded his Luger with an eight-round magazine and filled his pockets with spare ammo and a second clip. He had tear-gas cartridges, a pen gun launcher and a 6-inch knife.

Initial reports from the Courier-Post said the killings started with the pharmacist amid a clash over Unruh's use of a backyard gate.

However, Unruh told police he started by shooting 27-year-old cobbler John Pilarchik in his River Avenue shop. Without saying a word, Unruh said he fired into Pilarchik's chest and head.

Unruh then strode next door into barber Clark Hoover’s shop. He silently shot Hoover, 33, and 6-year-old Orris Smith. Smith had been sitting on a white hobby horse for a hair cut. The next day was the first day of school.

As the first few shots rang out, Unruh’s mother Freda knew her son was involved. Earlier in the morning, Unruh had threatened her with a wrench, raising it above her head, after she approached him from behind as he prepared his weaponry in their living room, she later told the Courier-Post.

She fainted at a friend’s house a few blocks away.

uestions remain on what prompted Unruh’s rampage, known as the “Walk of Death.” Unruh told police it was a broken gate.

Patrick Sauer, a writer for Smithsonian magazine, reported in 2015 that Unruh was also bothered by a broken date.

On Sept. 5, Unruh went to the Family Theater on Market Street in Philadelphia, he told police. A known gay pick-up spot on Market Street, Sauer wrote, the theater was to be the meeting place for Unruh and a man with whom he was having an affair.

When Unruh returned home at about 3 a.m., he found the rear gate to his apartment missing, he told police. The recently-installed gate was designed to end an ongoing dispute with his pharmacy-owning neighbors, The Cohens. They had argued about the use of their gate and property to access the apartment.

With his pockets still filled with those bullets, Unruh headed toward The Cohens' drugstore, also their home. James Hutton, Unruh’s 45-year-old insurance agent, briefly blocked his path. He would become Unruh’s fourth victim.

Once inside, Unruh killed Cohen’s wife, 38-year-old Rose Cohen, as she hid in a closet. He then shot 63-year-old Minnie Cohen, who attempted to call police, before he shot 40-year-old Maurice Cohen on the porch roof.

Back on the street, Unruh shot and killed 24-year-old Alvin Day as he waited at a red traffic light in his car, then 2-year-old Thomas Hamilton through an apartment window.

The tailor was to be next, Unruh said.

After the killings, Unruh told police that Cohen, the pharmacist, as well as the barber, cobbler and tailor were all targets. He felt they were talking about him "because they didn't like" him, he said.

The tailor, Thomas Zegrino, was spared, but only because he left to run an errand. Unruh instead shot Zegrino’s bride of one month, 28-year-old Helga Zegrino.

After he found the local grocery barricaded, Unruh turned to a Chevrolet coupe at 32nd and River. He silently took aim. Three more shots killed Helen Wilson, 37, and her mother Emma Matlack, 68, and severely injured her son John Wilson, 9. The boy would later become Unruh’s 13th and final murder victim.

Three were wounded when Unruh entered a home at 942 North 32nd Street: 36-year-old resident Madeline Harrie, 36, her 16-year-old son Armand and Charles Peterson, an 18-year-old local. The latter was one of an estimated 2,000 people that rushed to the scene upon hearing the initial commotion.

Out of ammo, Unruh ran home and locked himself in his second-floor bedroom. Police said Unruh must have emptied his pistol and refilled it at least four times during his "walk of death."

Once home, he greeted the swarm of police with more gunfire. The first patrolman on scene, John Ferry, was firing shotgun rounds at the second-story window when backup arrived with tommy guns, revolvers and tear gas.

Overwhelmed by the gas, Unruh surrendered.

Newspaper accounts said he was emotionless, perhaps even defiant, when booked that afternoon for the murders.

“I am glad I done it,” Unruh was quoted by the Courier-Post as telling police after the shooting. “The neighbors have been picking on me for months and when I came home last night and found my gate had been taken, I decided to shoot all of them so that I would get the right one.”

Until his death in 2009, Unruh was Case No. 47,077 at the Trenton State Prison psych ward.

Controversially ruled criminally insane after the shooting, Unruh never stood trial. The charges against him were dismissed in 1980, with a Superior Court judge ruling he had been denied a speedy trial.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 11:07 pm

/\I never heard of it.
The Jonesboro shooters were too young to be tried as adults at the time, both were released back into society.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 11:57 pm

I am trying to avoid becoming a hermit because of that. But it can be hard, like I want my freedom to go places and what not without being afraid of being shot up, but it is hard not to be afraid of that when seems lately every day some sort of mass shooting is posted about.

Sometimes its a disgrunteled person at the place it happens, and now its more cases of random shooters gaining access to the building. And that one freaks me out because I had a school lockdown where a random man with a gun came in, took a whole classroom hostage and the police got most of the kids out except for the one who got a deadly shot to the head. And well I didn't see it but that girl had been friendly to me before and I thought maybe we'd become better friends idk I liked her and wanted to be friends but at times seemed she hung out too much with the populars and I wasn't one of them, but that year she actually told me she was glad I was back(I had moved away for a year and went to a different school)but she said she was glad I was back and idk I was planning to try and better remake friends with her because we were friends a bit in middle school. but we didn't have any classes together but I still wanted to try and reach out to be friends.....and well then she was the one who was killed with the random gunman entering the school. I was socially akward in school so idk I got treated like i was just obvlivious to what happened but I was deeply disturbed and needed some help...I just got continued ostracism and a freaking psychologist telling me she just simply did not believe I had ptsd because i wasn't in the room she got shot in. So yeah I tried to push down the PTSD, tell myself I was ok and not traumatized trying to defend that with the fact I was in shock for the lockdown. Tried to play off I was just to brave to feel anything, but the reality was I was so scared out of my mind it was just a defense mechanism for me to not have felt things during the lockdown. But all the feelings came after and I could not deal with them.

But yeah now it is quite common for me to be hypervigilant anytime me and my boyfriend are in a store. But like it sucks I hate freaking staring at people to see if It looks like they have a gun or not. And feeling uncomfortable of people in the store. Idk I am just afraid of active shooter situations like even the other day at walmart I got scared of some guy standing around the guys clothes and walked around more than I had to to find my boyfriend just because I got kind of a weird feeling and did not want to get anywhere near that guy. But i mean they could have just been chilling waiting for thier own gf to finish looking at clothes...so I felt bad feeling the need to like circle around because what if that man is a psyco with a gun, when maybe like my boyfriend he was just waiting for his gf to finish looking at clothes. But idk they were just standing there and it freaked me out a bit...but like I feel bad to have worried they had any ill intentions when maybe it was somthing innocent like just waiting for their gf to finish looking at clothes.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 12:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ironpony wrote:
What are the motivations for these mass shootings? People say it's people being bullied but is it being bullied over anything particular, or just anything randomly?

I thought you from Canada. But apparently you fell to earth from planet X.

you're a grown man. you're 37. Havent you ever read a book, a magazine article, or read news on the internet, or taken a sociology course?

Why do you rely so much on the population of WP to keep you informed? We cant pat you on the back and burp you like a baby. You gotta do some things on your own.

You should know enough to know that ...not much is really known- by society - about why these folks turn spree killer.

You have the Columbine boys who were misfit teens. Maybe bullied. But then you have that Arab couple in San Bernidino California who became workplace spree killers -mowing down coworkers- ostensibly in the name of Islam, and ISIS. And other folks in America turn killer ostensibly for political extremism (American righwingers or leftwingers or KKK or BLM, or some crazy gunning for a Supreme Court Justice whatever) as well. But folks who do it for politics may REALLY be doing it for some other deep seated reason (like they were bullied).

Then there is the Las Vegas shooter who mowed down like fifty people at that country music concert a couple of years ago. A middle aged native born White guy. Not a Muslim immigrant. Not a teen like the Columbine shooters. Had no obvious political motivation. Not known to be political extremist. He was long out of school so he wasnt a recent victim of school bullying. So what motivated him? No one yet knows.

The "original" American spree killer was that rifle sniper in the Sixties who murdered people by shooting folks from a steeple on a college campus. It turned out that he had a tumor in his brain that -may -or may not-have had something to do with him becoming homocidal.

So you tell me...do you see a pattern in it?

Sorry, it just always feels like there is more too it than the media explains. No I don't see a pattern it all seems very arbitruary to me.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 2:09 am

"homocidal"

Beavis : I think this thread is gay , heh heh heh :lol:

Way too easy to get guns in US and even if most were confiscated the bad guys would still be armed.....

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 4:51 am

I get just as upset about this sudden spike in spree shooters as does the next person.

But it doesnt occur to me to "become a hermit". I just dont see the connection. It just doesnt register as something to be afraid of on a personal level.

Back in the Seventies and Eighties the outside world really WAS dangerous because of crime. You were more likely to get mugged than now. The less severe crime of mugging was a million times more common than the more severe but even now less frequent crime of spree killing. I actually was the victim of mugging (got beaten up by gang one night around 1980). But it didnt make me any more agoraphobic than before (briefly it did actually, but not in the long run).

We already have socially distancing from Covid. And even before Covid places like shopping malls were dying because of the Internet. So were trending towards becoming a stay-at-home agoraphobic society for years because of other reasons already.

If I had school age children I might be worried about them maybe.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 4:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I actually was the victim of mugging (got beaten up by gang one night around 1980). But it didnt make me any more agoraphobic than before (briefly it did actually, but not in the long run).

Wow! sorry to hear that. Who was the gang?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 6:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I actually was the victim of mugging (got beaten up by gang one night around 1980). But it didnt make me any more agoraphobic than before (briefly it did actually, but not in the long run).

Wow! sorry to hear that. Who was the gang?

Just a bunch of crazy White punks who preyed on late night drunks in the college town.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2022, 7:54 am

Mikah wrote:
misslizard wrote:
and we didn’t have mass shootings every week and there were plenty of guns laying around.

Kudos for noticing the best counter argument against the current narrative - America has a much longer and richer history of gun ownership than of school shootings. Britain too, used to have gun laws so liberal it would make Texas squirm while also having very low levels of crime in general, let alone gun crime.

misslizard wrote:
I have to wonder what happened.

My money is on drugs, legal and illegal:
https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/the-link- ... -we-think/

Not that it will ever be properly investigated with the demented push for more legalisation because, alas, popular opinion is on the other side. Could there be something to the old canard of "reefer madness"? I don't know, but shooting up a school seems fairly mad to me.

It was initially reported in the NYT that Ramos was a regular weed smoker - then it was quickly deleted for mysterious reasons.

Channeling Peter Hitchens again? I agree with you (and Hitchens) as far as it goes.

However, as far as I am concerned, there is another factor that most people are even less keen to examine. And that is that decades of social liberalism, open borders and leftist media and academic indoctrination in the US have bred a society of people resentful and alienated from each other.

But since leftism, social liberalism and open borders are supported by the majority of people on this forum, I don't suppose they'll stop to question their own cherished beliefs for two seconds.

Last edited by slam_thunderhide on 11 Jun 2022, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2022, 8:00 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:
Mikah wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
How many mass murderers were also meth users?. Or any kind of drug user?

Almost all of them are on something. It's usually marijuana. https://attackersmokedcannabis.com/

naturalplastic wrote:
Ive never heard drugs linked to the Columbine killers, or Sandy Hook, or the Las Vegas shooter, etc.

These were all potentially linked to mind-altering legally prescribed drugs: - Columbine to anti-depressants, drugs known to cause insane and suicidal behaviour in a minority of users. The Las Vegas shooter had copious amounts of Valium in his blood - Valium users usually take other similar drugs. Sandy Hook is a bit murkier - it was announced that Lanza had no drugs in his system at the time of the shooting but for some reason authorities refused to release his psychiatric/drug history, so a bit of an unknown.

naturalplastic wrote:
And historically drugs were even less controlled than guns in American history. In the Nineteenth Century you could buy patent medicine off of the shelf that contained opium, or cocaine.

True, but usage of illegal drugs / prescription of legal mind-altering drugs have both rocketed to the moon in recent decades.

More likely the drugs, whether given by professional or self administered, were trying to treat underlying psychological issues. It was those psyche issues that were the real cause of the violence. Certainly not marijuana or valium. Those are feel good drugs. People use those to relax and feel calm not go on shooting sprees.

That's an odd way to dismiss the side effects of marijuana. The issue is not what people are trying to get out of using drugs like marijuana; the issue is the effects (both short term and even more so long term) that the drugs actually have.

After all, nobody starts drinking alcohol because they want to end up in a car crash or die of long-term liver damage, but that is sometimes what happens.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that most marijuana these days is a lot stronger than it was back in the peace-and-love 1960s era.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:32 am

I get upset about shooters in the news. But I never think about the topic when I am out and about in the world.

What I worry about when I am out and about is ...microbes. Should I keep on wearing a mask, or should I be like everyone else and stop wearing a mask?

In the last three years how many Americans have died in spree shootings? Maybe a 1000?

The deaths from the three year Covid epidemic in the US just recently topped one million.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:00 am

slam_thunderhide wrote:
Mikah wrote:
misslizard wrote:
and we didn’t have mass shootings every week and there were plenty of guns laying around.

Kudos for noticing the best counter argument against the current narrative - America has a much longer and richer history of gun ownership than of school shootings. Britain too, used to have gun laws so liberal it would make Texas squirm while also having very low levels of crime in general, let alone gun crime.

misslizard wrote:
I have to wonder what happened.

My money is on drugs, legal and illegal:
https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/the-link- ... -we-think/

Not that it will ever be properly investigated with the demented push for more legalisation because, alas, popular opinion is on the other side. Could there be something to the old canard of "reefer madness"? I don't know, but shooting up a school seems fairly mad to me.

It was initially reported in the NYT that Ramos was a regular weed smoker - then it was quickly deleted for mysterious reasons.

Channeling Peter Hitchens again? I agree with you (and Hitchens) as far as it goes.

However, as far as I am concerned, there is another factor that most people are even less keen to examine. And that is that decades of social liberalism, open borders and leftist media and academic indoctrination have bred a society of people resentful and alienated from each other.

But since leftism, social liberalism and open borders are supported by the majority of people on this forum, I don't suppose they'll stop to question their own cherished beliefs for two seconds.

The Jonesboro shooters were from a small red state town that is not a stronghold of liberal beliefs.The opposite.
It’s possible an eleven year old did drugs,
but I don’t remember anything being said about it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 10:57 am

Recent broadcast of a man killing three people got classified as a mass shooting yesterday on the news ..
These situations have been with us for a very long time. Does anyone remember the phrase “ Going Postal”
How long ago was that situation..created but the phrase going postal also indicated that people understood when you put someone under that much pressure that stuff happens . But these lessons are lost on recent generations .
And the gov. And the media need excuses to remove civil rights, with the appearance of seeming to be in the public
Interest.Possibly working with the gov. And because people of this generation hasn’t had the experiences , they are using as a media tool .
Now we have new ways to bully , we have meth heads playing video games , We have first person shooters to help
Desensitize children into killing . All in 4K very lifelike . :|….. :(

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 11:27 am

I remember that phrase "going postal". There was a slew of folks who worked at post offices who went bizzerk and shot up the workplace back in the 80s.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 1:04 pm

Yes, yes for three years of my life .. I worked at a postal center as a back up letter carrier . We actually did more hours part time than regular carriers. Saw this stuff first hand .The management we’re only geared towards output and processing of the mail . It was the first time I had seen employees so desperate to keep up . One of them was doing diet pills that were uppers. There were published burnout rates for mail handlers and carriers . 3 yrs was average. But these were people wanting 20 yrs into retirement. It seemed like organized insanity. Especially during Christmas. But they did provide powdered aspirin for free. So carriers would not get heatstrokes. And posters around the station to keep your liquids up for letter carriers. Could see that office was a bad situation waiting to happen. :skull:
Went to my extreme limits of masking… but I was much much younger.

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 3:09 pm

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Covid made everyone a hermit last year.

Mass shootings are obviously a problem, but they dont make us into "hermits". Though they might force you to homeschool your kids.

I take a different position.
The factors that lead up to mass shootings are the issues.

I seriously doubt psychopaths are involved in mass shootings and then engage in "suicide by cop".
It is damaged people who become sociopaths through psychological and physical trauma.

Regardless, I personally can vouch for a hermitic lifestyle in addition to giving society the bird. 8)

So...its the shooters who are the "hermits"...traumatized by society...and taking out their wrath on society?