Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Lilith_12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2022, 4:27 pm

Hi, i'm a teenager and i've been running some tests online for both autism and AHDH, scoring in the middle ground. My question is, can AHDH affect ASD traits? Lik i sometimes feel the urge to organize things but never get it done because i loose focus or get tired. Same with routines: i'm unable to follow them. What do you think?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 4:28 pm

What is AHDH?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 4:37 pm

Dyslexia? ADHD perhaps?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 4:42 pm

Lilith_12 wrote:
Hi, i'm a teenager and i've been running some tests online for both autism and AHDH, scoring in the middle ground. My question is, can AHDH affect ASD traits? Lik i sometimes feel the urge to organize things but never get it done because i loose focus or get tired. Same with routines: i'm unable to follow them. What do you think?

It is possible to have both. I actually think I might have ADHD along with my autism so am planning to get tested for it to see if I have it and if treatment for it could help.

But yeah I have kind of similar problems I do actually find I prefer routines and planning ahead, but I have trouble actually sticking to it because my brain is too distracted. I also lose everything I pick up it seems like my phone, apartment keys and important items. Which apparently can be an ADHD symptom.

So not sure ADHD would mask autism, but it can certainly complicate it.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2022, 5:01 pm

Depends on what autism and ADHD *are*.

If you had an autism-style urge to organize things, no amount of ADHD would tear you away from that. It would be like not scratching an itch. You would feel deeply that your things must be just right and you would make sure it gets done.

So it sounds like you do not have this particular symptom of autism.

Lilith_12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm

So, i just realized i'm an idiot and i haven't noticed my profile was set on diagnosed autism, i'm probably neurotypical, sorry to everyone. When i posted this I was questioning. I still are, but i'm finding i lack too many autistic traits. I guess i'm just a really weird neurotypical.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:27 pm

Lilith_12 wrote:
So, i just realized i'm an idiot and i haven't noticed my profile was set on diagnosed autism, i'm probably neurotypical, sorry to everyone. When i posted this I was questioning. I still are, but i'm finding i lack too many autistic traits. I guess i'm just a really weird neurotypical.

Why are you saying sorry? It's not your fault what you are and it doesn't matter who you are, you're still welcome on WP.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:30 pm

Pteranomom wrote:
Depends on what autism and ADHD *are*.

If you had an autism-style urge to organize things, no amount of ADHD would tear you away from that. It would be like not scratching an itch. You would feel deeply that your things must be just right and you would make sure it gets done.

So it sounds like you do not have this particular symptom of autism.

I have ADHD and autism, and I have a compulsion to organize things, but my ADHD does very often cause issues with carrying that out. My room wouldn't be a massive cluttered mess right now if autism somehow made the executive dysfunction I have from ADHD nonexistent, but that's unfortunately not how having ASD + ADHD works.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:45 pm

To answer the OP: My ASD and ADHD traits do in fact conflict with each other all the time. Even though I am very reliant on routines it's hard for me to keep them up w/o help from other people. If I'm by myself I find it hard to manage keeping things organized, take care of the things I need to do, etc. My autism doesn't override my ADHD traits at all, and the ADHD causes me stress since it conflicts w/ all the restrictions autism puts on my life.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 5:20 am

My adhd symptoms seem to be a lot more severe than any asd symptoms I may have.

I only know this because people have asked me if I have adhd but they have never asked if I have asd. And also the psychiatrist who gave me my adhd medication disagreed with my diagnosis of ASD.

So yes it probably does mask it.