High schoolers do a nice thing for a bullied 6th grader

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 5:28 pm

High schoolers come to the rescue when nobody signs 12-year-old’s yearbook

Quote:
A group of teenagers saved the day after hearing a sixth grader had nobody to sign his yearbook.

Brody Ridder, who is in the sixth grade at The Academy of Charter Schools, said that nobody wanted to sign his yearbook when the books were handed out, KDVR reported.

“I went up to people and I asked them, ‘Can you sign my yearbook?’ and some of them were like, ‘no,’” Brody told the station.

Only two classmates and two teachers signed his yearbook, so Brody signed it himself, saying “Hope you make some more friends. — Brody Ridder,” The Washington Post reported.

When Ridder’s mother saw the empty yearbook with her son’s message, she took action.

Cassandra told The Washington Post that Brody has been struggling with bullies, who have pushed him and called him names, and that he had switched to his current school before fifth grade.

Cassandra told KDVR she took a photo of the nearly blank yearbook page and posted it to a Facebook group for parents of students at the school. She told The Washington Post that her goal in posting the photo was to raise awareness about bullying.

Instead, several older students in high school, who didn’t know Brody, saw the post.

Joanna Cooper, 17, told The Washington Post that she received a screenshot of the post from her mother, and immediately decided, “I’m going to get people and we’re going to sign his yearbook. No kid deserves to feel like that.”

Another student, Logan South, said that his family spent hours discussing the issue and how to help, before he told another friend and they began planning to go sign Brody’s yearbook, KDVR reported. The teenagers rallied as many classmates as they could, and went to Brody’s class.

“We walked in and we were like, ‘Where’s Brody at? Is Brody Ridder in here?’ And they’re like, ‘Yeah, he’s in the back.’ And we’re like, ‘Brody! We’re here to sign your yearbook, bud,’” Simone Lightfoot, one of the students, told KDVR. “I wrote, ‘Hey Brody, we don’t know you but we think you’re super cool and I’ll be your senior friend.’”

Brody told The Washington Post that he was shy at first, but “it made me feel better.” He collected more than 100 signatures, along with phone numbers and a gift bag.

“It made me feel like there’s hope for the school, there’s hope for humanity and there’s a lot of good kids in this world,” Cassandra told KDVR.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 5:30 pm

Yep. The world is not all bad!

My sixth grade teacher told me I wouldn’t make it past junior high. A few kids wrote something nice in my yearbook—but many wrote some nasty things. One kid wrote he would walk with me to the junior high next September—but he forgot.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 5:48 pm

Cool stuff! :D

9989cma
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2022, 9:07 pm

I'm not sure if this is very realistic. Charity from others from a different school who he didn't know. Seems his classmates should have done this. Would have taught them how to treat disabled persons. Now he was rescued by others of a different school who he didn't know. This kind of charity rescue won't keep happening to him. And the peers of his who abused him will continue abusing. ALso the charity was what a day event? Is that friendships? Friendships for a day??? Make no real sense.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 8:06 am

It's a helluva lot better than just doing nothing.....

At least the kid was "king for a day."

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 9:34 am

9989cma wrote:
from others from a different school who he didn't know.

Where are you getting that the effort came from kids in a different school?
The linked radio station article does not say that.
The KDVR article linked in radio station article does not say that.
The Washington Post article linked in radio station article does not say that.

And Googling name of school finds that it has grades from pre-kindergarten to 12th grade.

Also:
For concrete clarity,
Watch the first 17 seconds of video here;
https://news.yahoo.com/high-school-stud ... medium=web

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 11:10 am

He is in middle school, they are in High School. Several gave him their phone number so they will likely stay in touch. Also the gesture did inspire/embarrass his class mates into signing his book so they are not likely to mistreat him going forward.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

9989cma
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2022, 11:31 am

This was a charity-day to make the charity-givers feel good about themselves that they were helping a horribly rejected boy. The exchanging phone numbers was just a show for the public.

No one from his own grade-level or anywhere near his grade did anything. He'll continue probably to have serious difficulty with his own peers. The sad lesson of this is he may learn to seek older people for help. "King for a day" doesn't make up for years of anti-autism abuse, and years of more anti-autism abuse after the king-for-a-day is over. And what when the day is over. Things are better all of a sudden, from that one day?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 11:34 am

I burned my yearbook after no one wanted to sign it.  Class reunions are not for me, either.  Effem all. 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 12:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
He is in middle school, they are in High School.

9989cma wrote:
from others from a different school who he didn't know.

Those are not separate, individual, middle and high schools at different locations, those grades are all at the same school.
Do not make the careless mistake of imposing your experience on to a reality which is different from your experience.

Here is The school's own website,
https://www.theacademyk12.org/

Note: multiple grades at the same building,
https://www.theacademyk12.org/about-us/our-history
"
The Main Campus has 3rd-5th grade students as well as Middle School and High School.
"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 12:51 pm

Yes, it is important to check the facts before posting one's claims.

9989cma
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2022, 1:47 pm

I'm aware, I'm also aware they are 100% separate from one another. There is no daily interaction between those groups. There is an Elementary sector, Middle School sector, and High School sector.

9989cma
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2022, 1:51 pm

There is also a Main Campus and North Campus, located at different locations.

Main Campus
11800 Lowell Blvd, Westminster, CO 80031
North Campus
12161 Park Centre Drive, Westminster, CO 80234

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 1:52 pm

9989cma wrote:
I'm aware, I'm also aware they are 100% separate from one another. There is no daily interaction between those groups. There is an Elementary sector, Middle School sector, and High School sector.
Are the 'sector' boundaries demarcated by razor wire, attack dogs, and regular patrols of armed security guards?  Are the people in each 'sector' prohibited from even looking at the other 'sectors' under severe and painful penalties?  Are the students in each 'sector' forcibly segregated, even within their own families?

Are you a student, teacher, or staff member of The Academy of Charter Schools?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 1:54 pm

9989cma wrote:
There is also a Main Campus and North Campus, located at different locations.

Main Campus
11800 Lowell Blvd, Westminster, CO 80031
North Campus
12161 Park Centre Drive, Westminster, CO 80234
Please provide links to webpages that prove students are physically segregated by grade at each of these campuses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 1:55 pm

I think Brody is a very lucky person to have made so many new friends.