I seem to have made a friend, then they're suddenly gone

Page 9 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:57 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
haha I'm an editor and proofreader. It's my job to catch mistakes like that. :lol:

Oh damn! and here am I being so lazy with my writing. No wonder I don't find any friends on this forum :lol:

Oh god I hope you're joking. People assume when they find out my job that I'm constantly assessing their writing style, correcting mistakes, judging people.

I'm not. I switch off when I'm not being paid to do that, no one does their job 24/7. I was just joking around with Skinny Elephant :P

No sweat, I'm just joking too. But...now I have to be ultra-careful with my grammar and punctuation. It's like having a friend who is a psychiatrist and worrying they are always psychoanalysing everything you do :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:57 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
Internet forums in general tend to attract those with less vibrant social lives. Which could explain why a lot of people you've spoken to online struggle to make real life friends. Even if not officially one of us, they probably are (at the very least) socially awkward.

That's quite reassuring. I was really meaning people on social media, who post photos of themselves with their friends doing activities...yet still say they have no friends. That doesn't make sense to me.

Like my husband, who says 'if you don't count my family, my work colleagues, my hobby group #1 and my hobby group #2, I don't have any friends.'

WTAF. Those are friends! I don't have a birth family, work colleagues or hobby groups! :x

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:58 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
"Offering to be friends with me" is my wording. These 2 classmates I mentioned didn't use the word "offer." They appeared to genuinely express interest in friendship. But my mom insisted they had ulterior motives.

Oh right, haha! I thought it was a bit strange but now I understand!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:59 am

KitLily wrote:
Like my husband, who says 'if you don't count my family, my work colleagues, my hobby group #1 and my hobby group #2, I don't have any friends.'

Your husband isn't a typical NT in not having friends outside of work/clubs but then he sounds like my wife.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:00 am

cyberdad wrote:

No sweat, I'm just joking too. But...now I have to be ultra-careful with my grammar and punctuation. It's like having a friend who is a psychiatrist and worrying they are always psychoanalysing everything you do :lol:

Please don't give it a thought. I couldn't care less what your grammar or punctuation is like! I repeat, I do not do my job 24/7. I switch off when I'm not at work.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:02 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Please don't give it a thought. I couldn't care less what your grammar or punctuation is like! I repeat, I do not do my job 24/7. I switch off when I'm not at work.

I work with people who are grammar Nazis and don't hesitate to correct me :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Your husband isn't a typical NT in not having friends outside of work/clubs but then he sounds like my wife.

No, you've missed the point. I mean that he has lots of friends: his siblings; his work colleagues; his hobby groups. They don't stay in those groups, he meets them for other activities too, out of those spheres. I reckon he has about 20 friends, some are close friends. He has a great social life. He doesn't seem to realise I have none of those types of friends and he doesn't know how lucky he is.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:06 am

cyberdad wrote:

Good editors do not do this. Those people are just pedants.

However, if you wish to pay me for editing and proofreading, then I'll correct your writing! :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:07 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

No, you've missed the point. I mean that he has lots of friends: his siblings; his work colleagues; his hobby groups. They don't stay in those groups, he meets them for other activities too, out of those spheres. I reckon he has about 20 friends, some are close friends. He has a great social life. He doesn't seem to realise I have none of those types of friends and he doesn't know how lucky he is.

I get it. What I mean is your average NT has some group of buddies, girlfriends from college/highschool or some stranger they met through networks at the cafe/bar/club.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:08 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Good editors do not do this. Those people are just pedants.

However, if you wish to pay me for editing and proofreading, then I'll correct your writing! :lol:

Yep! they are pedants...but weird thing is they give me their work to edit/correct. I am too tired/bored to apply what I do at work on WP forums.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
I get it. What I mean is your average NT has some group of buddies, girlfriends from college/highschool or some stranger they met through networks at the cafe/bar/club.

He sometimes has those too. He doesn't know how lucky he is.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Yep! they are pedants...but weird thing is they give me their work to edit/correct. I am too tired/bored to apply what I do at work on WP forums.

The penny drops! haha. I edit all day. I'm not doing it online too in leisure time :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:12 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

He sometimes has those too. He doesn't know how lucky he is.

I think as one gets older, the proclivity to expand their friendship group decreases.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:13 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The penny drops! haha. I edit all day. I'm not doing it online too in leisure time :P

Yes, have mercy on me please :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, have mercy on me please :D

Better be nice to me then! :twisted:

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2022, 2:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnyElephant wrote:
When I was in 8th grade, a female classmate pretended to be interested in me for an entire school day. She even gave me her number (without me asking). The number turned out to be fake. Then when we returned to school on Monday, she admitted the whole thing was a prank.

Yeah at that age pranking is such a big deal for NTs. The frontal lobe isn't developed so taking into account other people's feelings isn't high on their priority list. If you want to see what NT teenagers think of the disabled or minorities watch Omegle.

I must admit, I'm not sure where your comment about neurotypical teens being anti-minority came from. In the current teenager generation, so-called minorities are the majority.