I seem to have made a friend, then they're suddenly gone

Page 8 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 4:25 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
I remember these 2 high school classmates offering to be friends with me. I'd describe them as burnouts. They weren't necessarily part of the cool preppy crowd. But they weren't seen as uncool either.

My mom forbade me to be friends with them. She insisted they were playing a prank on me. Maybe they were; maybe they weren't. But I was not pleased with my mom. When I have/had a hard enough time making friends to begin with, it hurts to be told some of the few people who express interest in being my friend are pranking me (I should add: My mom didn't even know these 2 classmates)

When it came to dating (both during my teen years and my young adulthood), my mom did the same thing. She'd tell me any girl who expresses interest in me is pranking (or otherwise scamming) me.

I understand those of us on the spectrum are more prone to getting pranked. But that doesn't mean the whole world wants to prank us.

I think your mum was just being protective. However, it does sound a bit odd for people to 'offer to be friends with you' as if they are doing you a favour.

But if she said that about everyone, it doesn't help your confidence. Personally I wouldn't say that, I'd just support my daughter if/when the friends/dates treated her badly and we could talk about what to do next time.

I don't think I've had much experience of being pranked by friends/ dates. I seem to have been pretty likeable as a teenager and young woman, I had a group of friends for most of those years. They were all 'weirdos' like me I suppose! But those friends drifted away as we got older.

It is just in the last 20 years or so that I've found it harder and harder to make friends, and people have seemed to take an instant dislike to me more and more over those years. I think that could be the effect of social media making people think they can't be friends with anyone who is even slightly different to them. I dunno.

I had no boyfriends til I was 22, boys ran a mile from me, but looking back with the wisdom of being older, there were boys who did like me but I misunderstood because they didn't make it obvious enough, or I didn't understand my own feelings.

I've only had two boyfriends in fact, both of them made it obvious they wanted to go out with me. The first one turned out to be a narcissist taking advantage of me. And I married the second one, who is the kindest, most caring person I know.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 5:03 am

KitLily wrote:
haha I'm an editor and proofreader. It's my job to catch mistakes like that. :lol:

Oh damn! and here am I being so lazy with my writing. No wonder I don't find any friends on this forum :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 5:06 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
I understand those of us on the spectrum are more prone to getting pranked. But that doesn't mean the whole world wants to prank us.

That's really horrible, I wish NTs wouldn't do that.

My daughter still has a crush on a classmate at school who kind of led her on and while she's come to terms with him not subsequently showing any interest (and demanding a restraining order) I know she can't stop thinking about him.

They both are sports captains so that makes things worse, Ironically they seem professional together.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:14 am

With respect to the origin of this thread, yes - this is exactly what has happened in my life with lots of people who I thought were developing into friends.
You think you’re having great conversations and activities with shared interests and then they just slowly or not so slowly fade away.
I’ve pulled back from a couple who eventually revealed their bigotry or some other serious flaw but repeatedly losing the ones who shared my views and interests is difficult.
I have had people comment on my lack of gossiping and my disinterest in television shows and celebrities. I think these interests form a lot of the foundations in friendships. It seems that a lot of NT’s love idle chit chat and I can’t do that for very long.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
haha I'm an editor and proofreader. It's my job to catch mistakes like that. :lol:

Oh damn! and here am I being so lazy with my writing. No wonder I don't find any friends on this forum :lol:

Oh god I hope you're joking. People assume when they find out my job that I'm constantly assessing their writing style, correcting mistakes, judging people.

I'm not. I switch off when I'm not being paid to do that, no one does their job 24/7. I was just joking around with Skinny Elephant :P

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:34 am

beady wrote:
With respect to the origin of this thread, yes - this is exactly what has happened in my life with lots of people who I thought were developing into friends.

You think you’re having great conversations and activities with shared interests and then they just slowly or not so slowly fade away.

I have had people comment on my lack of gossiping and my disinterest in television shows and celebrities. I think these interests form a lot of the foundations in friendships. It seems that a lot of NT’s love idle chit chat and I can’t do that for very long.

Yes...the great conversations and activities...then it turns out the other people are intimidated/ overwhelmed/ whatever by me. I've no idea why.

But gossiping can catch you out too. I've tried to gossip but apparently 'gone too far' and been excluded and mocked for being a gossip.

It's a tricky balancing act, 24/7 :roll:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:47 am

Yeah ive run into problems by trying to find out what to do.... Coming up with a theory and thinking 'oh this is what I'm supposed to be doing!! !'
Them going too far

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2022, 2:13 pm

Why do you feel like you need to act?

Can't you just be yourself, rather than someone searching for the right thing to say?

By the way, I struggle with the same problem of "trying to appear something" in social situations.

Best

Misha Cayne

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2022, 2:58 pm

KitLily wrote:
SkinnyElephant wrote:
KitLily wrote:
You're right. 'Normies' have gone on as before. It seems to be us 'Aspies' that get excluded, because we're 'a bit weird.' :roll: I'm not sure what the answer to that is.

Well-said. I guess I'm skeptical of the idea that social media has significantly changed the dynamic of friendship. Normies have done well in the friend department both before and after social media. Those of us on the spectrum have struggled both before and after social media.

Thanks.

On the other hand, I do know a lot of lonely people online who say they have no friends in real life, and struggle to make any friends. But maybe they're Aspies too?

I think in the past when people lived in small communities for generations with their families and all knew and understood each other, that must have been easier for Aspies. 'Oh you know what my cousin's son is like, he talks about trains a lot.' People just accepted 'eccentricities.'

Also in the past, most communities had very strict social rules. Now days, everything is fluid with lots of different expectations and subtle meanings so Aspies don't have a clue what to do, we're floundering.

I'm calling us Aspies because it's shorter, btw! :lol:

Internet forums in general tend to attract those with less vibrant social lives. Which could explain why a lot of people you've spoken to online struggle to make real life friends. Even if not officially one of us, they probably are (at the very least) socially awkward.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2022, 3:07 pm

KitLily wrote:
SkinnyElephant wrote:
I remember these 2 high school classmates offering to be friends with me. I'd describe them as burnouts. They weren't necessarily part of the cool preppy crowd. But they weren't seen as uncool either.

My mom forbade me to be friends with them. She insisted they were playing a prank on me. Maybe they were; maybe they weren't. But I was not pleased with my mom. When I have/had a hard enough time making friends to begin with, it hurts to be told some of the few people who express interest in being my friend are pranking me (I should add: My mom didn't even know these 2 classmates)

When it came to dating (both during my teen years and my young adulthood), my mom did the same thing. She'd tell me any girl who expresses interest in me is pranking (or otherwise scamming) me.

I think your mum was just being protective. However, it does sound a bit odd for people to 'offer to be friends with you' as if they are doing you a favour.

But if she said that about everyone, it doesn't help your confidence. Personally I wouldn't say that, I'd just support my daughter if/when the friends/dates treated her badly and we could talk about what to do next time.

I don't think I've had much experience of being pranked by friends/ dates. I seem to have been pretty likeable as a teenager and young woman, I had a group of friends for most of those years. They were all 'weirdos' like me I suppose! But those friends drifted away as we got older.

It is just in the last 20 years or so that I've found it harder and harder to make friends, and people have seemed to take an instant dislike to me more and more over those years. I think that could be the effect of social media making people think they can't be friends with anyone who is even slightly different to them. I dunno.

I had no boyfriends til I was 22, boys ran a mile from me, but looking back with the wisdom of being older, there were boys who did like me but I misunderstood because they didn't make it obvious enough, or I didn't understand my own feelings.

I've only had two boyfriends in fact, both of them made it obvious they wanted to go out with me. The first one turned out to be a narcissist taking advantage of me. And I married the second one, who is the kindest, most caring person I know.

"Offering to be friends with me" is my wording. These 2 classmates I mentioned didn't use the word "offer." They appeared to genuinely express interest in friendship. But my mom insisted they had ulterior motives.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2022, 3:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnyElephant wrote:

That's really horrible, I wish NTs wouldn't do that.

My daughter still has a crush on a classmate at school who kind of led her on and while she's come to terms with him not subsequently showing any interest (and demanding a restraining order) I know she can't stop thinking about him.

They both are sports captains so that makes things worse, Ironically they seem professional together.

When I was in 8th grade, a female classmate pretended to be interested in me for an entire school day. She even gave me her number (without me asking). The number turned out to be fake. Then when we returned to school on Monday, she admitted the whole thing was a prank.

As an adult, I had one of those Nigerian scammers try to scam me on a dating site. I saw right through it though.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:23 pm

misha00 wrote:

Can't you just be yourself, rather than someone searching for the right thing to say?

By the way, I struggle with the same problem of "trying to appear something" in social situations.

Best

Misha Cayne

Because when one stops "acting" as a NT, one is often perceived as weird, strange, or possibly dangerous.

I decided a while back to stop masking because its just too exhausting. The result is a lot of shunning. But, at least, I'm not as exhausted and a lot happier.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:51 am

klanka wrote:
Yeah ive run into problems by trying to find out what to do.... Coming up with a theory and thinking 'oh this is what I'm supposed to be doing!! !'
Them going too far

Solidarity *fist bump* from me!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:51 am

misha00 wrote:

Best

Misha Cayne

Who are you addressing this comment to, please?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:55 am

beady wrote:
Because when one stops "acting" as a NT, one is often perceived as weird, strange, or possibly dangerous.

I decided a while back to stop masking because its just too exhausting. The result is a lot of shunning. But, at least, I'm not as exhausted and a lot happier.

I know what you mean. However I behave, people shun me, so what's the point of masking? I'm also told that I'm far too blunt, opinionated, abrupt, harsh.

Oh my dears! This IS me restraining myself, being more gentle and subtle and compromising. Do you REALLY want me to say what I'm actually thinking? Really? Okay then.

^^I'm addressing that to people in real life who are shocked by my bluntness. They would not know what had hit them if I stopped masking...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:55 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
When I was in 8th grade, a female classmate pretended to be interested in me for an entire school day. She even gave me her number (without me asking). The number turned out to be fake. Then when we returned to school on Monday, she admitted the whole thing was a prank.

Yeah at that age pranking is such a big deal for NTs. The frontal lobe isn't developed so taking into account other people's feelings isn't high on their priority list. If you want to see what NT teenagers think of the disabled or minorities watch Omegle.