South Carolina graduation party mass shooting

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 5:41 pm

A South Carolina graduation party shooting left 1 dead and 7 others, including minors, wounded

Quote:
"At least 60-70 rounds" were fired after two cars approached the lawn party, with one of them driving onto the lawn, where about 150 people were gathered Saturday night, the Clarendon County Sheriff's office said in a release.

The victims include a 12-year-old, a 14-year-old, two 15-year-olds, a 17-year-old, a 32-year-old and a 36-year-old. The 32-year-old woman died from her injuries Sunday morning, the sheriff's office said.

It is unclear if shots were fired at specific people or at random, according to the release, but officers believe the incident to be gang-related.

It is also unclear whether anyone attending the party returned fire, according to the release.

Looks like Trump was right about if not a bit early about that "American Carnage" thing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 5:46 pm

America is a shining example of how effective a laissez faire approach to gun regulations can be. I can't imagine why all civilized nations wouldn't wish to imitate this model of success.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 6:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
America is a shining example of how effective a laissez faire approach to gun regulations can be. I can't imagine why all civilized nations wouldn't wish to imitate this model of success.

America is the oldest democracy in the world, and the small arms rights were constitutional from the beginning. How it came to be is perhaps partly due to how this democracy came to be, as the result of independence fought for and won from an empire. The firearms culture became a mainstay as settlers expanded across the new continent. Many other younger democracies in the Old World came to be through international revolutions and don't have the historical "frontier" culture as those lands were long settled and explored. Small arms didn't make it onto constitutions in those states.

Australia is an often quoted example where free civilian firearms ownership ended with a ban and mass confiscation. Back then it didn't solve much that it was intended to. These mass shootings that we're seeing now aren't a part of typical violent crime against which laws are designed, they're something else entirely, and since there's nothing new about the availability of firearms, firearms can't be the cause in this new situation with the mass shootings. There are other factors that made it a problem now and not before.

In any case, for many years efforts have been made to make it logistically impossible to confiscate firearms in US following a constitutional change. There are no complete and reliable ownership records to pull that off.

The only realistic path to the solution is through finding and correcting what has changed about the public that cause these shootings to happen now and not before.