Page 5 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 4:45 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I'll keep in mind regarding something like this, that you and cyberdad aren't interested in facts, common sense or expert opinions, you're just interested in protesting.

For me it's just disappointing that we can't expect the police to live up to their oath. Like having an expectation that a doctor can watch a patient slowly choke without trying to do something

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 5:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
I'll keep in mind regarding something like this, that you and cyberdad aren't interested in facts, common sense or expert opinions, you're just interested in protesting.

For me it's just disappointing that we can't expect the police to live up to their oath. Like having an expectation that a doctor can watch a patient slowly choke without trying to do something

Ridiculous analogy. But keep protesting. Makes you look good to those you want to look good for.

Police = Coast Guard.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 5:52 am

A few of many pages of such headlines:

Worcester Officer dies trying to save boy who also drowned

Mass. Police Officer Dies After Trying to Save Drowning 14 ...

Man drowns rescuing child, Washington officials say - Tacoma ...

Minnesota man drowns while trying to save daughters in lake

Tyler man dies trying to save his son from drowning

18-year-old dies trying to save his dog from drowning in a lake

California man dies trying to save drowning kids he had never ...

Man drowns while saving son caught in rip current near Gulf ...

Man dies trying save girlfriend from drowning at upstate New ...

Louisville man dies trying to save woman in Ohio River

Man Drowns Trying to Rescue Naked Woman Who Jumped in ...

Texas Guardsman drowned trying to save migrants in Rio ...

Man dies while trying to save child swimming in Fraser Valley ...

Robeson County man who drowned trying to rescue son laid ...

Indiana Man Dies After Attempting to Save Woman Struggling ...

Final Farewell for Teen Who Died Trying to Save Drowning ...

Man killed trying to save children from Kern River - KMPH

Dad drowns at Grange Beach trying to save daughter swept ...

Ohio man dies trying to save girl from drowning | Vindy Archives

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I would try to throw or push them something they could grab onto.A drowning person will frantically cling onto anyone trying to help and possibly pull their rescuer under.Then two people drown.

Watch the bodycam video. the cops weren't exactly in a hurry to look around for something to throw in...

They should have, that was negligent.
My ex went into the water once to rescue a woman.As soon as he reached her ,she latched on and scrambled on top of him pushing him under the water.His feet touched bottom, but his head was under the water and she was on his shoulders.She could breathe , but now he was drowning.Someone else swam out to help or it could have went badly for him.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:59 am

I'm sure if there was a rescue device they could have thrown in and didn't, that will be brought up in the investigation.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:05 am

Misslizard wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I would try to throw or push them something they could grab onto.A drowning person will frantically cling onto anyone trying to help and possibly pull their rescuer under.Then two people drown.

Watch the bodycam video. the cops weren't exactly in a hurry to look around for something to throw in...

They should have, that was negligent.

Several news articles have pointed out there wasn't anything appropriate available,

for example, from article Matrix posted on previous page,

Quote:
Officers at the scene when Bickings drowned were untrained in water rescue and didn't have any life preservers to throw to him. Police did call for water rescue, but as per current policy, the boat was unmanned and docked nearly a mile away.

Sad as this fellow's death is, it looks like it may be the thing to spark change,
Quote:
Discussions on preventing another drowning death on Tempe Town Lake are in the works, according to the mayor. The discussions include a plan to have life preservers in police cars and whether new training is needed.

Other articles comment that the city is looking at making flotation and rescue devices available at the location as there was nothing available when drowning happened.

:arrow: Even though it will do nothing to change outlooks totally founded on feelings, here is something again,

https://www.businessinsider.in/internat ... 068396.cms
Quote:
Dworkin noted that "most" cops are not trained to perform such a rescue and that even lifeguards trained through organizations like the American Red Cross are taught to only perform a water rescue using a flotation device.

"The general public looks at police officers and firefighters as if they're wearing capes, that they're capable of responding to any type of emergency and the reality is that most police officers are not trained or equipped to perform a water rescue," Dworkin said.

Water safety experts Insider spoke to agreed that entering the water without rescue equipment or training could lead to multiple victims.

"You don't want to go into the water to rescue someone unless you have no other recourse," retired US Coast Guard commander Dave Smith, who founded the Michigan-based Smith Aquatic Safety Service in 1981, told Insider.

He explained, "A drowning human goes berserk and they only want one thing and that's air and they'll climb up on a rescuer to get air."

"If you don't know what to do and you're in the water with a person who is drowning, get away from them because you're likely to drown yourself, unfortunately," he said.

:arrow: There is where some change needs to happen;
https://www.npr.org/2022/06/08/11038108 ... ter-rescue
Quote:
The Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board, which sets police academy curriculum in Arizona and certifies police officers, confirmed that applicants are not required to show swimming proficiency and there is no basic training related to water rescues.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:07 am

According to the 360 view of the location, there's absolutely nothing there that could have been used to toss out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4324341 ... 704!8i4352

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 5:47 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I still expect them to do something. And plenty of police officers would, at the risk of their own lives.

According to everyone except you protestors, they did do what they were supposed to do. Their biggest crime so to speak was getting caught flatfooted because they didn't expect someone to go out for a swim in a lake and drown themselves. I'm sure if they had foreseen that ahead of time they would have called the rescue boat sooner.

Kraichgauer wrote:
That's the point of putting on that uniform.

The point of putting on that uniform isn't to do something stupid. Jumping into deep water to try saving a drowning main with no training or equipment, is very stupid. And everyone except you protestors agree with me on that. Especially those who have training in saving people from drowning.

Trained and equipped or not, I think most Americans will agree with me and Cyberdad. To protect and serve means just that. And yes, there are plenty of cops who wouldn't think twice about risking their lives to save someone else.
Protestor?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 6:09 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
According to the 360 view of the location, there's absolutely nothing there that could have been used to toss out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4324341 ... 704!8i4352

There are some trash cans, tables and chairs.Not sure of what they are made of, so maybe nothing that would float.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I still expect them to do something. And plenty of police officers would, at the risk of their own lives.

According to everyone except you protestors, they did do what they were supposed to do. Their biggest crime so to speak was getting caught flatfooted because they didn't expect someone to go out for a swim in a lake and drown themselves. I'm sure if they had foreseen that ahead of time they would have called the rescue boat sooner.

Kraichgauer wrote:

The point of putting on that uniform isn't to do something stupid. Jumping into deep water to try saving a drowning main with no training or equipment, is very stupid. And everyone except you protestors agree with me on that. Especially those who have training in saving people from drowning.

Trained and equipped or not, I think most Americans will agree with me and Cyberdad. To protect and serve means just that. And yes, there are plenty of cops who wouldn't think twice about risking their lives to save someone else.
Protestor?

You have unrealistic expectations.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 7:38 pm

They are currently under investigation and have been stood down with pay. That would suggest their superiors are also not sure they did everything correctly.

You can make up your mind.

The water does not look dangerous. However the depth of the water is difficult to gauge, and there appears to be some height between where the man was sitting and the water? I am sure there are ladders if the depth is deep enough to drown. Maybe these are the things the police investigation need to determine first.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 7:43 pm

This was the point Bickings started panicking and the cops shut off the bodycam

Notice how casually they have their hands folded....doesn't seem like somebody trying everything to save a life. Even if they legally have the right to do nothing it seems their attitude is callous at best.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 10:18 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Protestor?

If my expectations are unrealistic, they are no more so than what most other people would believe.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 11:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

If my expectations are unrealistic, they are no more so than what most other people would believe.

Only those who don't know any better. No lifeguard for example would agree with you.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 12:14 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Only those who don't know any better. No lifeguard for example would agree with you.

Are you so sure about that?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 3:34 am

Cops just cannot do anything right for the life of them...

LIke imagine a world where the authorties supposed to help you, just cause more problems...oh wait that is why the saying here in the states is calling cops is an absolute last resort because there is a great chance police will make whatever situation they are called to worse.

besides it has already been put forth that cops have no legal obligation to protect civilians. So the whole protect and serve thing is B.S police in the U.S are not actually obligated to protect civilians apparently. So no wonder they entirely failed at shutting down the shooter in that elementary school shooting if their job doesn't even actually involve protecting civilians. It is like well what the hell do we have cops for than, just to make peoples lives hell? And have a group of gangsters that can intimidate civilians just for fun because, what is a mere civilian going to do against the police. It is just best not to interact with them unless you absolutely have to.