Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 6:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
So the whole protect and serve thing is B.S police in the U.S are not actually obligated to protect civilians apparently. So no wonder they entirely failed at shutting down the shooter in that elementary school shooting if their job doesn't even actually involve protecting civilians. It is like well what the hell do we have cops for than, just to make peoples lives hell? A.

In the US getting stopped by the cops is a potentially life threatening so people pay the salaries of the "boys in blue" knowing they might get shot for jaywalking, their kids will be left in a building with a mass shooter or fire or your loved one can drown while you scream at them and rather than help....they put you in cuffs.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 10:18 am

Protect and serve...

How does anyone here know the man wasn't trying to kill himself and take a cop along with him? The people who are against the police are so free with their opinions about how this should have been handled, despite the longstanding examples of people who have drowned trying to save others when there's no proper equipment to hand. The lifeguards who are trained take a floatation device with them during rescues for that very reason. They can throw the float before they get near to the person who is conscious and still flailing, and the person grabs hold of it and is towed in. If the person is unconscious, a strong swimmer can safely tow them in.

You do not know what the police were trained for, average people can swim well enough to get themselves to the side. Why are these men or women any different simply because they're trained to use a gun. I agree, it's pretty unconscionable to laugh while someone is dying. That alone should get them something, maybe fired. Again, I don't know. I couldn't watch someone die. I would try and scream, or something. But, to what end? The fire rescue people are the ones trained for this and they were called.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 10:28 am

They shouldn’t have been laughing, that was cruel,they should have been frantically looking for something, somewhere to toss the drowning man.
Sometimes when they do try and help they die.Some people are not good swimmers.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1269724
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/po ... an-n715861

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 6:57 pm

Misslizard wrote:
They shouldn’t have been laughing, that was cruel,they should have been frantically looking for something, somewhere to toss the drowning man.
Sometimes when they do try and help they die.Some people are not good swimmers.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1269724
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/po ... an-n715861

I think the worst part about it was the distressed screams from the drowning man's partner. Any normal human wouldn't do what these cops did to stand by and laugh. Hence why they are being investigated.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 8:36 am

/\They should be, any person with a heart would be looking for something, anything to toss in.If they couldn’t swim I can understand why they didn’t enter the water, all that cop gear and vest would probably be hard to swim with.
But to just stand there and make light of it, disgusting.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 8:59 am

During the last few years, police offices have been villainized by the public. This has occurred especially in the big cities of the U.S. As a result, many police offices have chosen to retire or quite. So in many large cities, there is a shortage of police. Many of the police in the large cities have as a result taken an approach in crime prevention to a lower level.

So in a sense, the population in many large cities have brought this upon themselves.

If you want to have good policeman the solution is an easy one, stop villainizing the police.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:04 am

If I were a cop in that situation, I would have called for expert backup immediately....for the "rescue squad" or whoever saves drowning people.

About a month ago, there was some guy dangling over the Brooklyn Bridge. There were cops present. They called the specialized unit within the NYPD which deals with people who are seeking to do something foolish like jump in the East River from the Brooklyn Bridge. Luckily, the man was saved after the experts did their job.

Just call for backup immediately after he actually jumped in the water----that's the thing to do in that situation.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:12 am

Around 50 years ago, I almost drowned. It was along the beach of Los Angeles. I went for a swim in the ocean. I was offshore about 150 feet. When all of a sudden a large wave hit. It was a really, really large wave and it picked me way up in the air and then dropped me to the solid ground and then the water came over me. I swam really, really hard to reach the surface. I made it to air, took a quick breath and then another wave struck.

After about 15 times of being struck by large waves, I almost drowned. Finally I had swam enough to get in front of the waves and I started to struggle to the shore. When I made it to the shore there were a half of dozen life guards cheering me on. They didn't rescue me. They didn't come to my rescue but there offered sheers.

It turned out that millions of miles away, there was a massive earthquake, which produced these waves. I just went swimming on the wrong day and time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:18 am

I don't get why the lifeguards didn't do something, to be honest....maybe they figured they would be "interfering" had they come to rescue you; maybe they figured you wanted to rescue yourself. Who knows?

I almost drowned, too, once. Though it definitely wasn't as dramatic a situation as your situation. There was a riptide on a beach in Trinidad and Tobago. I tried to save some guy who was under the influence of the riptide. I got under the influence of the riptide, too. Fortunately, a bunch of people formed a "rope," to the point where they could reach both myself and the other guy. Both of us were rescued.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 3:00 pm

jimmy m wrote:
During the last few years, police offices have been villainized by the public. This has occurred especially in the big cities of the U.S. As a result, many police offices have chosen to retire or quite. So in many large cities, there is a shortage of police. Many of the police in the large cities have as a result taken an approach in crime prevention to a lower level.

So in a sense, the population in many large cities have brought this upon themselves.

If you want to have good policeman the solution is an easy one, stop villainizing the police.

It's a Catch 22 situation, I guess. If cops want public support, they need to stop acting like villains, otherwise the public will continue to villainize them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:05 am

jimmy m wrote:

The poor perception by your fellow Americans isn't borne out of villainizing the police

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/us/g ... olice.html

They already have a low expectation. The question you should be asking is why?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I were a cop in that situation, I would have called for expert backup immediately....for the "rescue squad" or whoever saves drowning people.

About a month ago, there was some guy dangling over the Brooklyn Bridge. There were cops present. They called the specialized unit within the NYPD which deals with people who are seeking to do something foolish like jump in the East River from the Brooklyn Bridge. Luckily, the man was saved after the experts did their job.

Just call for backup immediately after he actually jumped in the water----that's the thing to do in that situation.

From what I read they called a rescue boat when they realized he wasn't playing around. But it was too late by then.