Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 8:41 am

Senators Collins, Menendez Introduce Bill to Train, Support Autism Caregivers of Senator Susan Collins

Quote:
The Autism Family Caregivers Act would establish a five-year caregiver skills pilot program to award grants to nonprofits, community health centers or hospitals to provide skills training to family caregivers of children with autism. The training will teach family caregivers how to use every day routines and home activities to improve the mental and physical well-being of such children and their caregivers. Caregivers will be trained to address communication skills, daily living skills, social engagement and behavior management. The grants will provide for 25 pilot programs in at least 15 states.

The Autism Family Caregivers Act is supported by the National Association of Community Health Centers, American Academy of Pediatrics, Autism Society, The Arc, and Autism Speaks.

Representatives Grace Meng (D-NY-06) and Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA-01) are the lead sponsors of the bill in the House of Representatives.

What caregiver skills are they going to teach? My assumption is ABA.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 8:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
What caregiver skills are they going to teach? My assumption is ABA.

Here's the bill text,
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... t?r=12&s=1

whether it says directly or not is something I can't tell yet this morning thanks to the effects of endocrine and neurological and mitochondrial disease -- my eyes just flat won't read the font size and style yet this morning.