Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 1:26 pm

Whenever we've talked about work I always say I'm happy in IT working with other geeky people.

But now I'm getting older and having hot flashes I've realised I'm the only woman here. Yes I know none of you men are hot, but excuse me whilst I sir and fan myself and sweat and sweat and overheat.

Especially annoying during meetings.

Just having a moan.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 5:53 pm

So sorry for the discomfort, and lack of company for the misery.

I read a book on menopause and it manifests differently in different cultures. Are the differences genetic and/or cultural? Some cultures don't even have a word for a hot flash. Menopause is in some cultures is associated instead with an ache just between the shoulder blades. There is a study that indicates that most people (young or old or in between, man or women or in between, across ALL cultures) have what Westerners call "hot flashes". So some men might relate to you if they thought about it hard enough. A NIH study says up to 1 in 3 men over age 55 have hot flashes. It does appear that older women have them more (2 of 3). As you may know, other factors may exacerbate or also cause "flushing" (thyroid, obesity, etc.).

Just having an information dump. :wink:

Wishing you relief sooner than later. :heart:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 10:54 am

Thanks. I bought a usb fan for my desk.

I've always run more hot than most people so it's just my physiology I guess.

I get hotter when I get run down for some reason. I don't know why. I think this is an overlapping ME/CFS issue as well.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:30 am

A "usb fan" --- I am imagining a little fan that plugs into the computer. Yes, no? Also could be used in the car or any power outlet with a usb adapter.

Temperature regulation. I wonder that it degrades with age, much less with other conditions such as you mentioned. My 8yo must have very good temperature regulation b/c when it's cold, he's not cold. And when it's super hot, he's not hot. I'm jelly.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 12:12 pm

Yes, I can plug it into my laptop. I can also plug it into a phone charger plug that has a usb connector.

Here's the fan.

Usb fan

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 2:34 pm

I've got one like that. They're really good

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 4:44 pm

Oh, how cute... and functional. :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 11:16 pm

I'm really afraid of getting hot flashes and night sweats. I really have this thing about being too hot and sweaty. And then when I remove my blankets my exposed sweaty skin makes me suffer awful chills and I shake and shiver all over the place. I experienced such symptoms when I got my second covid shot last summer and then again when I got the booster. It was horrible. The anxiety I had was horrible. I couldn't sleep or keep still until after dawn when the symptoms finally got less severe and a lot of people are getting up. If I start experiencing that every night or many nights I think I will totally unalive myself, because it is torture. :(

Oh, and there's all the other fun and fabulous stuff the Big M is supposed to bring, like basically turning me into a werewolf who literally murders people because they forgot to put the cap back on the toothpaste or chewed their gum too loud. 8O

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 6:28 pm

I lucked out and only had them during the winter and right before bed.So I opened the bedroom window and let the cold night air flow in.It was like I had my own built in heating system.Once the weather warmed up they stopped.It would be awful to have one during a heat wave.
Other than my period stopping, everything else stayed the same.
Actually I feel better now that all that estrogen isn’t surging around.
It took long enough for it to happen, I was 56.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 7:22 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Actually I feel better now that all that estrogen isn’t surging around.

My older cousins says she is similarly relieved. I've read that estrogen contributes to anxiety - I could do without surges of that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:27 am

None of the stuff I was worried about happened, I haven’t grown a beard, no weight gain, in fact I lost weight.I think that is because I had crazy cravings for chocolate and carbs before and during my period.No more of that.No more awful cramps.No more buying feminine hygiene products.No more pre- period blues.No more bloating before my period.
I think we have been taught to dread it.
I’m glad I don’t have a period anymore.
The only alarming thing was the first hot flash, it woke me up in the middle of the night ,hot and sweaty ,I thought it was a fever and that I had caught Covid.