Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 2:37 pm

Are peanuts really healthy?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 2:46 pm

Granted, it is an assumption, but I'm going to assume something published by Harvard has validity; same for the Journal of the American Medical Association which is referenced,

Peanuts linked to same heart, longevity benefits as more pricey nuts
March 5, 2015
By Daniel Pendick, Former Executive Editor, Harvard Men's Health Watch
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/pea ... 1503057777
"
ARCHIVED CONTENT: As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date each article was posted or last reviewed. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.

Nuts, a food you may have been avoiding because of their high fat content, have been gaining traction as an all-natural health food with health benefits. Tree nuts like almonds, pecans, and walnuts are especially prized for their rich cargo of vitamins, minerals, and mono- and polyunsaturated fats.

The downside is that tree nuts tend to be pricey. But a study published online in JAMA Internal Medicine puts the humble peanut squarely in the same nutritional league as its upscale cousins. This work makes the health benefits of peanuts more accessible to lower-income shoppers.

An international team of researchers found that in more than 200,000 people from Savannah to Shanghai, those who regularly ate peanuts and other nuts were substantially less likely to have died of any cause — particularly heart disease — over the study period than those who rarely ate nuts. This adds to the existing evidence from two Harvard-led investigations — the Nurses’ Health Study and the Harvard Professionals Follow-up Study.

“This confirms what we found a few years ago — and our results were greeted with intense skepticism,” says Dr. Meir Stampfer, professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “Botanically, peanuts are not nuts, but nutritionally they are very similar to tree nuts, and other studies have shown their benefits,” Dr Stampfer explains.

Any botanist worth his or her salt will tell you that peanuts aren’t nuts. They are actually legumes, and so are more closely related to soybeans and lentils than to almonds and walnuts. But like tree nuts, peanuts can be eaten as a filling snack or as a protein-boosting ingredient in many salads and other dishes. An ounce a day of nuts — roughly a quarter cup or a small handful — is a generally healthy portion.
"

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 2:47 pm

According to the health information online almonds and other nuts are but peanuts are not

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 2:58 pm

klanka wrote:
According to the health information online ... but peanuts are not

What online information is saying peanuts are not?

With my Mom being a retired dietitian I already knew from her that peanuts are reasonably healthy and looking online right now I keep finding things like the above from Harvard & like the following;

What are the nutritional benefits of peanuts?
Peanuts have a strong nutritional profile. They are an excellent source of plant-based protein, fiber, and many key vitamins and minerals.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325003

Are Peanuts Good for You?
These crunchy legumes may have a sizable amount of calories and fat, but there are some big health benefits, too
By Julia Calderone
September 13, 2018
https://www.consumerreports.org/nuts/ar ... d-for-you/

Is Eating Peanuts Healthy?
By Sylvie Tremblay
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/eating ... -6046.html
"
Peanuts, along with lentils, beans and peas, help make up the legume family. They belong to the protein food group, according to the United States Department of Agriculture. Each ounce of peanuts counts as 2 ounce equivalents of protein, contributing to the 5 to 6 ounces of protein foods you need each day. Peanuts boast a rich nutritional profile, and their nutrient content makes them a healthy addition to your diet.
"

Nuts and your heart: Eating nuts for heart health
Discover how walnuts, almonds and other nuts can help lower your cholesterol when eaten as part of a balanced diet.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20046635
"
Does it matter what kind of nuts you eat?

The type of nuts you choose to eat probably doesn't matter much. Most nuts appear to be generally healthy, though some may have more heart-healthy nutrients than others. For example, walnuts contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids.

Almonds, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts and pecans also appear to be quite heart healthy. And peanuts — which are technically not a nut, but a legume, like beans — seem to be relatively healthy.

Keep in mind that you could end up canceling out the heart-healthy benefits of nuts if they're covered with chocolate, sugar or salt.
"

J Food Sci Technol. 2016 Jan; 53(1): 31–41.
Published online 2015 Sep 19. doi: 10.1007/s13197-015-2007-9
PMCID: PMC4711439
PMID: 26787930
Peanuts as functional food: a review
Shalini S. Arya,corresponding author Akshata R. Salve, and S. Chauhan
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4711439/
"
Abstract

Peanut is an important crop grown worldwide. Commercially it is used mainly for oil production but apart from oil, the by-products of peanut contains many other functional compounds like proteins, fibers, polyphenols, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals which can be added as a functional ingredient into many processed foods. Recently it has also revealed that peanuts are excellent source of compounds like resveratrol, phenolic acids, flavonoids and phytosterols that block the absorption of cholesterol from diet. It is also a good source of Co-enzyme Q10 and contains all the 20 amino acids with highest amount of arginine. These bioactive compounds have been recognized for having disease preventive properties and are thought to promote longevity. The processing methods like roasting and boiling have shown increase in the concentration of these bioactive compounds. In the present paper an overview on peanut bioactive constituents and their health benefits are presented.
"

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 7:50 pm

klanka wrote:
According to the health information online almonds and other nuts are but peanuts are not

I heard this long time ago but what I hear recently is different.

Now I hear that peanuts are beans and have some health benefits of beans.

The government-regulated health star rating for the bag of unsalted peanuts sold by Woolworths is 4.5 out of 5, which means it's pretty good for health. I'm rather health-conscious and I do eat peanuts in moderation.

I avoid cashew nuts because they have relatively high carbs.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm

This got me hungry for peanuts so I bought a jar while out grocery shopping a few hours ago. :D

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 10:49 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
This got me hungry for peanuts so I bought a jar while out grocery shopping a few hours ago. :D

I went grocery shopping online on my app, I bought peanuts & cashews, I also bought ice cream, cookie & cream :heart:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 2:16 am

I have to eat alkaline forming foods so I don't get asthma.
almonds are alkaline but peanuts are the opposite.so I avoid them personally.

There are other reasons stated online but anyone can look it up if they want.