Armed Man Traveled to Justice Kavanaugh’s Home to Kill Him

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 12:28 am

Honestly, I think something like this is one of the more likely triggers for a true violent political conflict in this country, as the "logical" counter move would be to kill Democratic senators in red states where the governor can appoint the replacements, and at that point you might as well just start killing opposition politicians generally. Insane to me that this story didn't get more coverage in light of the threat, but not surprising given the media in this country.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:20 am

Dox47 wrote:
Honestly, I think something like this is one of the more likely triggers for a true violent political conflict in this country, as the "logical" counter move would be to kill Democratic senators in red states where the governor can appoint the replacements, and at that point you might as well just start killing opposition politicians generally. Insane to me that this story didn't get more coverage in light of the threat, but not surprising given the media in this country.

I think it was discussed on several podcasts I listen to, both liberal (VERY liberal) and conservative. The condemnation was universal, and also awareness that radicalism is intensifying on both political sides. But I doubt most Americans listen to political leaning podcasts ...

I'm heartened to see more people moving into the reasonable "middle" (not to say the "middle" is a big field of happy agreement, it's more about willingness to talk to each other), but at the same time the fervor of both the extreme right and extreme left seem to be intensifying. We shouldn't take our eyes off it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 1:58 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I think it was discussed on several podcasts I listen to, both liberal (VERY liberal) and conservative. The condemnation was universal, and also awareness that radicalism is intensifying on both political sides. But I doubt most Americans listen to political leaning podcasts ...

Yeah, politics junkies knew about it, even if not all of them fully grasped the implications, but the lack of mainstream coverage was appalling, if not surprising. I suspect not even you would argue the counterfactual of how it would have been covered had the politics been reversed, this is exactly the sort of thing that turns people away from mainstream media and makes them vulnerable to charlatans on the fringe.