Armed Man Traveled to Justice Kavanaugh’s Home to Kill Him

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 5:51 am

Quote:
Armed man arrested near US Supreme Court Justice Kavanaugh’s home

Nicholas John Roske of California is charged with the attempted murder of a Supreme Court justice.

8 Jun 2022

A man armed with a handgun who planned to kill conservative US Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh was arrested near the justice’s home and has been charged with attempted murder after voicing distress about the expected reversal of a landmark decision legalising abortion nationwide, authorities said.

The man, identified as 26-year-old Nicholas John Roske of Simi Valley, California on Wednesday, was carrying a handgun he had purchased for the purpose of killing Kavanaugh as well as ammunition, a crowbar, pepper spray and other items, according to an affidavit signed by an FBI agent.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/8 ... aughs-home

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 6:01 am

I hope he’s prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 6:31 pm

New York Times

Quote:
A man armed with a pistol, a knife and other weapons was arrested near the Maryland home of Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh early Wednesday after he said he traveled from California to kill the Supreme Court justice, federal officials said.

Nicholas John Roske, 26, of Simi Valley, Calif., was charged with attempted murder after two U.S. deputy marshals saw him step out of a taxicab in front of the justice’s house in Chevy Chase, Md., early Wednesday morning, federal prosecutors said. Mr. Roske was dressed in black and carrying a suitcase and a backpack, according to a federal affidavit.

Inside the suitcase and backpack, the authorities later discovered a “black tactical chest rig and tactical knife,” a pistol with two magazines and ammunition, pepper spray, zip ties, a hammer, a screwdriver, a nail punch, a crowbar, a pistol light and duct tape, in addition to other items, according to the affidavit.

His plan was to break into the house, kill the justice and then kill himself, according to the affidavit.

Mr. Roske told the police that he was upset about the recent school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, and about a leaked draft of a Supreme Court opinion suggesting that the justices were poised to overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that guarantees the right to an abortion. There have been protests outside Justice Kavanaugh’s home and the homes of the other justices since the leaked draft was published last month.

In addition to the abortion ruling, the justices could strike down a century-old New York State law that places strict limits on the carrying of handguns. Both decisions are expected to be issued this month.

“Roske indicated that he believed the justice that he intended to kill would side with Second Amendment decisions that would loosen gun control laws,” the affidavit said.

When Mr. Roske arrived and saw the two deputy marshals, who were standing next to their parked car, he started walking down the street, according to the affidavit.

Soon after, the Montgomery County Emergency Communications Center received a call from Mr. Roske, who said he was having suicidal thoughts and had a firearm in his suitcase, according to the affidavit.

He said he had traveled from California to Maryland “to kill a specific United States Supreme Court justice,” the affidavit said.

Officers from the Montgomery County Police Department arrived and found Mr. Roske still on the phone with the communications center.

Mr. Roske was taken into custody without incident, said Shiera Goff, a spokeswoman for the Montgomery County Police Department.

Mr. Roske told the police that he had begun thinking “about how to give his life a purpose” and decided to kill a Supreme Court justice after finding the justice’s address online, the affidavit stated.

The addresses of Supreme Court Justices were put online by a pro-abortion group.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 6:38 pm

Motive? (although this is Brett Kavanaugh who isn't exactly an angel)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 12:05 am

Quote:
Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh was targeted in an apparent assassination attempt in the early hours of Wednesday morning, federal police said Wednesday. A California man allegedly purchased firearms and traveled to the D.C. area with the intent of killing Kavanaugh and himself, but changed his mind and turned himself in after a brush with law enforcement outside Kavanaugh’s house. In the wake of the attempt, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell urged the House to move forward on legislation passed by the Senate last month that would beef up federal protection for SCOTUS justices and their families.

https://morning.thedispatch.com/p/the-m ... to-893?s=r

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 12:52 am

This guy might be a lone wolf but this is part of a pattern.

There is a thing called "Crises Pregnancy Centers". They masquerade as a regular health clinic but they actually try to talk people out of getting abortions. They have been targets of vandalism and suspected firebombings.
Political violence blamed in arson at anti-abortion group's center in Amherst

At least 5 pro-life pregnancy centers vandalized within a week of SCOTUS opinion leak

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 1:11 am

Had he succeeded I would not have been too sad that someone that is a direct threat to bodily autonomy is dead. But murder is not the right answer so obviously that was not an appropriate response.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 2:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

There is a thing called "Crises Pregnancy Centers". They masquerade as a regular health clinic but they actually try to talk people out of getting abortions. They have been targets of vandalism and suspected firebombings.

At least 5 pro-life pregnancy centers vandalized within a week of SCOTUS opinion leak

So is this guy pro-life?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 7:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

So is this guy pro-life?

He is pro abortion rights and targeted Kavanaugh because he is pro life and because he thinks Kavanaugh is going to help strike down a New York law that puts strict limits on carrying handguns.

Yes, left wing terrorism. Not a good look when the Democrats are holding hearings to correctly point out how the MAGA’s are a threat to democracy.

Schumer Telling Brett Kavanaugh He'll 'Pay the Price' for Roe Resurfaces
Quote:
A video of Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer telling Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh that he would "pay the price" for rolling back abortion rights has resurfaced amid an arrest outside the justice's home in Maryland.

Back in March 2020, Schumer made a speech outside the Supreme Court as justices heard a case about a Louisiana abortion law, warning Kavanaugh and Justice Neil Gorsuch—former President Donald Trump's other appointee at the time—that they could face dire consequences for their "awful decisions."

"I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price," Schumer, who was then minority leader, said at the time. "You won't know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.

Schumer had previously retracted his comments, saying from the Senate floor that he "should not have used the words [he] used" the day before.

Dem senator warns Supreme Court of 'revolution' if Roe v. Wade is overturned
Quote:
During a virtual event Monday featuring New Hampshire's entire House and Senate delegation, WMUR reporter Adam Sexton had asked if public debate over abortion had "muted" due to many people in the U.S. only knowing life post-Roe v. Wade. Shaheen asserted that nothing would be muted about the reaction to a possible overturning of that decision.

"I hope the Supreme Court is listening to the people of the United States because – to go back to Adam Sexton’s question – I think if you want to see a revolution go ahead, outlaw Roe v. Wade and see what the response is of the public, particularly young people," Shaheen said toward the end of the event. "Because I think that will not be acceptable to young women or young men."

Tone it the f**k down, everybody.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 7:48 am

Nicholas Roske, man arrested in Brett Kavanaugh threat, a ‘good kid’: grandfather

Quote:
The grandfather of the armed man arrested for allegedly threatening to kill Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh has come to his defense — insisting the charges against him are “extremely” out of character.

“He’s a good kid,” Dan Shannon told CBS Los Angeles of his 26-year-old grandson, Nicholas John Roske.

FBI agents raided Roske’s California home after obtaining a search warrant Wednesday night.

“They were always nice people so it’s a surprise more than anything,” neighbor Zach Quadri told CBS of the suspect’s family.

Another neighbor, Michael Holbrook, told the VC Star that the family kept to themselves and had never caused problems.

Nicholas John Roske was arrested outside of allegedly threatening to kill Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
Nicholas John Roske was arrested after allegedly threatening to kill Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
“They’re great neighbors,” he said. “I’m very dumbfounded.”

A woman who told The Post she used to be “best friends” with Roske’s mom, but fell out of touch years ago, said she was “shocked” to learn of Roske’s alleged murder plot.

“They’re so quiet, they’re just really nice people, they’re like everybody else,” said Mary, who declined to give her last named.

“They were never like gun people or anything like that, they didn’t have any cases or anything, they just went to their jobs and lived their lives, raised their kids, did what everybody else does.”

She added, “I just know it must be tearing them apart.”

Mary said she last saw the family at Disneyland about six years ago, which is also when she met Roske for the first time. She recalled Roske appearing to be “very normal.”

Roske had no prior run-ins with cops in his hometown — aside from a minor traffic infraction in 2015, Simi Valley Police Department Cmdr. Ritchie Lew said.

A spokesperson for Simi Valley Unified School District confirmed to local media that Roske had graduated from Simi Valley High School in 2014 and had been on the cross-country team for two years.

He worked at Valley Guard Pest Control in Simi Valley last year, but is no longer employed there, according to the company. It wasn’t immediately clear when he left or under what circumstances.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 9:01 am

The thought of all those birthers he'd banged over the last month being unable to access an abortion, along with all those little fetuses just begging to be ended was more than he could take. The strain was just too much and it threw him over the edge, poor dude.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 9:32 am

↑ Schizophrenia is a more likely cause for his actions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 1:38 am

Reminds me of Tucker Carlson.

He invokes mental illness for right wing killers of black people but blames "dangerous" left wing/antifa as born killers of little white babies

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 2:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Yes, left wing terrorism. Not a good look when the Democrats are holding hearings to correctly point out how the MAGA’s are a threat to democracy.

I'm not sure the Democrats can really be said to have substantial affiliation with the left, outside of a handful of members. The impotence of Democrats is a substantial issue driving frustration that ends up being expressed in this sort of way. Not that it justifies murder, but I can see how the gross violation of rights that is being enabled might cause someone to feel that deadly force was the only viable means by which to act.

Ironically, antichoicers should completely understand this sentiment considering how many doctors they murked. It feels like karma for them to now be facing the same sort of terroristic violence they once doled out, even if that doesn't morally justify it. Until they start actually being killed I really struggle to find the slightest empathy for them when it's just property damage and their organizations actually hurt people instead of just harming property.

It turns out there's consequences for actions. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 8:55 pm

FBI says man accused of attempting to kill Brett Kavanaugh said he was 'shooting for 3' justices

Quote:
In the weeks before traveling to the Washington, DC area, the man accused of attempting to murder Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh researched how to assassinate individuals and said he would be "shooting for 3" justices, according to a search warrant application from the FBI.

Nicholas Roske, who prosecutors say traveled to Kavanaugh's home with a pistol, extra ammunition, a tactical knife and other gear, looked up terms like "most effective place to stab someone" and "quietest semi auto rifle," the application states.
As part of the investigation, FBI agents are requesting search warrants for Google accounts and online chatlogs they believe belong to Roske and included searches and online messages from Roske.

In an online conversation on the messaging app Discord, Roske told an individual in May that he was "gonna stop roe v wade from being overturned" and that he would "remove some people from the supreme court," according to the FBI.
"Two dead judges ain't gonna do nothing," the unnamed user told Roske. "You would die before you killed them all."
Roske replied: "yeah but I could get at least one, which would change the votes for decades to come, and I am shooting for 3."

The search history on Roske's phone, which investigators took from Roske when he was arrested and got a search warrant for the next day, also includes searches for "assassin skills" and equipment, "how to be stealthy" and the Supreme Court's website listing current members.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 1:53 am