Page 31 of 33 [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 12:36 am

McCarthy says Republicans will investigate Jan. 6 committee’s work

Quote:
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) says Republicans will probe the work of the House select committee that has been investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, after the GOP takes control of the chamber next year.

In a letter sent Wednesday to Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.), the chairman of the bipartisan panel, McCarthy instructed the committee’s members to preserve all of its records and testimony transcripts, even as he acknowledged that was already required under House rules.

McCarthy also vowed that Republicans would launch their own inquiry into “why the Capitol complex was not secure” on the day a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol seeking to stop the certification of Joe Biden’s electoral win. Five people died in the insurrection or in its immediate aftermath, and dozens were injured, including at least 140 law enforcement officers, who were harassed, beaten and sprayed with gas substances by the mob.

“You have spent a year and a half and millions of taxpayers’ dollars conducting this investigation. It is imperative that all information collected be preserved not just for institutional prerogatives but for transparency to the American people,” McCarthy wrote. “The American people have a right to know that the allegations you have made are supported by the facts and to be able to view the transcripts …”

McCarthy’s letter echoes the desire of many other Republican lawmakers to aggressively go after the Jan. 6 committee, which they have long criticized as a purely political vehicle to attack former president Donald Trump. Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) — the likely next chairman of the House Judiciary Committee — and his staff are already preparing to examine any evidence omitted from the final report that is more flattering or at least exculpatory about Trump’s actions leading up to the Jan. 6 assault, according to one Republican operative who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe GOP strategy.

McCarthy has been at odds with the committee since its inception, pulling all GOP nominees for it after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) blocked two of McCarthy’s picks. The panel still was a bipartisan one — with Cheney and Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) — but McCarthy has repeatedly decried the committee as purely political.

In his letter to Thompson on Wednesday, McCarthy continued to suggest the committee was politically motivated, citing a Washington Post report that indicated more than a dozen committee staffers were upset that the final report could focus too much on Trump, at the expense of revelations about militia and extremist groups, financing behind the attack, and the law enforcement and intelligence community’s failure to prepare for the siege.

“It is clear based on recent news reports that even your own members and staff of the Committee have no visibility into the totality of the investigation. Some reports suggest that entire swaths of findings will be left out of the Committee’s final report,” McCarthy wrote. “The official Congressional Records do not belong to you or any member, but to the American people, and they are owed all of the information you gathered — not merely the information that comports with your political agenda.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 1:33 am

Like as if the defeated Nazis demanded to investigate the Nuremberg trials :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 3:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
Like as if the defeated Nazis demanded to investigate the Nuremberg trials :roll:

Anything for that spineless wonder, McCarthy, to cover the crimes of his orange messiah.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 3:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Anything for that spineless wonder, McCarthy, to cover the crimes of his orange messiah.

No relation to the other spineless fellow from the 1950s?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 6:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Joe McCarthy wasn't spineless, though. He was a rank opportunist and probable sociopath who thought he could build a political career on distortions and people's fears and prejudices. He wasn't gutless like Kevin McCarthy, he just had an empty hole in his soul which he tried filling with blind political ambition.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 6:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Joe McCarthy wasn't spineless, though. He was a rank opportunist and probable sociopath who thought he could build a political career on distortions and people's fears and prejudices. He wasn't gutless like Kevin McCarthy, he just had an empty hole in his soul which he tried filling with blind political ambition.

From what I read he was essentially the Donald Trump of his day. His brand of politics was even dubbed 'McCarthyism' just like Trump's rising political influence has been dubbed 'Trumpism'.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 6:57 pm

Trump, to me, is much worse than Joe McCarthy was.

I wish we had an Army Department to mow down Trump like McCarthy was mowed down.

Many people don't have the courage to just dismiss Trump out of hand, and brand him the criminal that he is.

I would say McCarthy probably did more actual harm to people----but Trump has the potential to do much more actual harm than McCarthy ever did. McCarthy was also craftier than Trump. Trump is pretty much a doofus.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 9:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Or the Russians investigating the downing of Flight MH17. :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 9:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I wish we had an Army Department to mow down Trump like McCarthy was mowed down.

Many people don't have the courage to just dismiss Trump out of hand, and brand him the criminal that he is.

I would say McCarthy probably did more actual harm to people----but Trump has the potential to do much more actual harm than McCarthy ever did. McCarthy was also craftier than Trump. Trump is pretty much a doofus.

I thought someone already did?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 10:01 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
As predicted.

lol

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 4:25 am

Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I thought someone already did?

Nah, she just ruined her career instead of ruining Trump's. Trump is still free to create carnage.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 11:58 am

Video from yesterday says trump lost another court case.. the one where he claimed executive privilege over a couple of his lawyers testifying. Court says no dice, you don't have executive privilege over this.. so pat cipalone and some other guy have to talk.

Seems to be a pattern developing here.. that all of trump's trumped up bs stall tactic frivolous lawsuits are going down in flames and the truth is eventually going to come out about all of his wrongdoings.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 3:59 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Video from yesterday says trump lost another court case.. the one where he claimed executive privilege over a couple of his lawyers testifying. Court says no dice, you don't have executive privilege over this.. so pat cipalone and some other guy have to talk.

Seems to be a pattern developing here.. that all of trump's trumped up bs stall tactic frivolous lawsuits are going down in flames and the truth is eventually going to come out about all of his wrongdoings.

But will it be enough?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 4:05 pm

I believe it is possible that it is “enough.”

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 5:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe it is possible that it is “enough.”