Envious of a 20 year old who already owns a business

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2022, 12:09 am

1986 wrote:
I wouldn't sweat it since most businesses fail anyway, especially if it's just person starting from zero. The appearance now might be one of a successful young guy, but wait five years and see how he's doing. Chances are, not as good as he aspired to.

I started a business when I was 22. It failed after 2 years, but at least I didn't lose a lot of money from it. Maybe I start a business again, who knows. Point is same as others have made, don't compare yourself to others but carve your own way and be prepared to fail a lot before you see success.

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight."

Agreed, no point in envy as times change and so too does circumstances. I watched people fall from great heights, and people ascend to great heights also over the years.

Personally I'm on my 6th business, and each time I've had to start over I've learned something of incredible value.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 8:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
I dont know what I'd start a business in though.
What is your skillset?  Have you earned any degrees after high school?  Are you taking classes now?
@Chris1989: Are you not going to answer these questions?
I've been on this forum for > 10 years now and 99% of members run away when you ask personal questions.
Truthful answers to these questions may indicate why Chris1989 is envious of 20-year-olds who already own businesses.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 11:49 am

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
I dont know what I'd start a business in though.
What is your skillset?  Have you earned any degrees after high school?  Are you taking classes now?
@Chris1989: Are you not going to answer these questions?
I've been on this forum for > 10 years now and 99% of members run away when you ask personal questions.
Truthful answers to these questions may indicate why Chris1989 is envious of 20-year-olds who already own businesses.

The key skills I have are good communication skills when I'm at work with customers and clients, good english skills (writing and reading) and basic ICT skills and I have 4 GCSEs in Art, History, ICT and Science (I can't remember the grades though) and got 3 Distinctions in a BTEC Diploma in Art and Design.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 12:47 pm

chris1989 wrote:
The key skills I have are good communication skills when I'm at work with customers and clients, good English skills (writing and reading) and basic ICT skills and I have 4 GCSEs in Art, History, ICT and Science (I can't remember the grades though) and got 3 Distinctions in a BTEC Diploma in Art and Design.
Alright then!

Are there any art museums or art schools where you live?  How about venues for art shows?  Have you ever considered coordinating the rental of exhibition space for local artists?

You could then charge a small fee to each artist for sub-rental of space, and then take a small cut of each sale the artist makes.

. . . just a suggestion.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2022, 9:52 pm

Quote:
The key skills I have are good communication skills when I'm at work with customers and clients, good english skills (writing and reading) and basic ICT skills and I have 4 GCSEs in Art, History, ICT and Science (I can't remember the grades though) and got 3 Distinctions in a BTEC Diploma in Art and Design.

I've mentioned in other posts how frustrating it is to have some skills and yet get nothing out of it. While I do acknowledge I have MANY weaknesses, I do know stuff most don't. I also own my own business. The result? I'm nearly bankrupt, I'm not moving towards what I want and have no proper certs or degrees for most stuff. What do I do then? Apply pilot thinking, if plane us crashing and what you do isn't working, F*** do something else. Worst case you die anyway, best case you are a hero. So I changed my strategy and I'm trying new things.

I tell you all this just to illustrate how skill alone doesn't work, certs alone, do not work either. In reality a lot of variables have to align for things to happen, plus you are always gonna suck at something others excel than causes you to lose opportunities and vice versa. But what you read or see is a case between a million and you bet it wasn't skill, but luck, context...
Stop worrying about what you can't control and focus on what you can.

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2022, 10:12 pm

SpaceMartian wrote:
Quote:

I've mentioned in other posts how frustrating it is to have some skills and yet get nothing out of it. While I do acknowledge I have MANY weaknesses, I do know stuff most don't. I also own my own business. The result? I'm nearly bankrupt, I'm not moving towards what I want and have no proper certs or degrees for most stuff. What do I do then? Apply pilot thinking, if plane us crashing and what you do isn't working, F*** do something else. Worst case you die anyway, best case you are a hero. So I changed my strategy and I'm trying new things.

I tell you all this just to illustrate how skill alone doesn't work, certs alone, do not work either. In reality a lot of variables have to align for things to happen, plus you are always gonna suck at something others excel than causes you to lose opportunities and vice versa. But what you read or see is a case between a million and you bet it wasn't skill, but luck, context...
Stop worrying about what you can't control and focus on what you can.

Exactly, entitlement is the biggest killer, and I used to be one of those people "I've got x amount of certs/degrees and have put in years of hard work I deserve a break"

Truth is, it's a constant struggle. I'm on my 6th business and if this one fails, I will have a new one ready to start the next day.

Perseverance, diligence, and discipline are far more important than acquired knowledge and intelligence.

Life isn't meant to be fair and balanced.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 12:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
The key skills I have are good communication skills when I'm at work with customers and clients, good English skills (writing and reading) and basic ICT skills and I have 4 GCSEs in Art, History, ICT and Science (I can't remember the grades though) and got 3 Distinctions in a BTEC Diploma in Art and Design.
Alright then!

Are there any art museums or art schools where you live?  How about venues for art shows?  Have you ever considered coordinating the rental of exhibition space for local artists?

You could then charge a small fee to each artist for sub-rental of space, and then take a small cut of each sale the artist makes.

. . . just a suggestion.

There are a few art cafes and galleries near where I live but the thing is after I had left university I eventually lost interest in continuing the art and design at college and uni and I've not really gone back into it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 12:59 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
Alright then!

. . . just a suggestion.
There are a few art cafes and galleries near where I live but the thing is after I had left university I eventually lost interest in continuing the art and design at college and uni and I've not really gone back into it.
You do not have to actually BE an artist to support the arts.