Page 6 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Sep 2022, 2:14 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I'm looking out my kitchen window right now and it's bright and sunny out, therefore it's impossible that there is flooding anywhere.

That's how stupid people sound when they say things like "Tide seems about as high as it's always been right here, ocean level can't be rising anywhere."
And "such a cold day, so much for global warming!"

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

magz wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I'm looking out my kitchen window right now and it's bright and sunny out, therefore it's impossible that there is flooding anywhere.

That's how stupid people sound when they say things like "Tide seems about as high as it's always been right here, ocean level can't be rising anywhere."

Yep, that too.

Meanwhile, in reality, here's a photo of palm trees on the beach in Vancouver.. palm trees on the beach in Canada.

While they are a heartier strain of palm tree, they'd have never survived their first Winter when my grandmother was a little girl. Things are warming up, and climate growing zones are moving North. The fruit and veggies being grown in California won't grow there w/o water & too high of temps soon - they'll grow in Washington State and British Columbia.

But nothing is actually changing. It's a hoax perpetuated by the Chinese because trump said so.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Sep 2022, 3:02 pm

Where I live, natural variance of climate is huge and global trends are practically invisible in local fluctuations. Only recently things we find anomalous started - like thunderstorms in winter.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 3:19 pm

This is the sort of thing happening:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bc-us-ca ... d988519ee3

Here, we’ve also had wildfires, heat waves, and flooding. Every time they’re reported as “once in a hundred years,” storms or whatever, but they seem to be happening more and more frequently all over the world.

I’m sure insurance company statistics would back up the dollar value in damages done by storms keeps escalating, too.

We’re the water planet. This is what we get when we throw things so far out of balance that we affect the ocean currents. Much more volatility in our weather systems. We’re going to experience a whole lot more strong storms from this point forward. At least there’ll be more winds for kiteboarding, I guess. 8)

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:11 pm

magz wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Going green is plunging parts of Europe into further economic decline. The UK and France are going to experience a bleak heatless winter.
UK - yes; France - no, they have plenty of nuclear energy to run through this. The most screwed are Germany as their primary fuel supplier turned out, to say the least, unreliable. German policy on it was generally bizarre, closing nuclear plants and opening natural gas plants, wtf?

But this has exactly nothing to do with cutting emissions plans, quite the opposite - if these plans were more advanced and reliance on fossil fuels already reduced, the situation would have been better now.

That's right Germany. I was thinking about Macron talking about end of abundance and tough times ahead. I don't think phasing out fossil fuel is a bad idea. And I was advocating nuclear power as far back as the 70s. But the whole green deal is being poorly executed.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 10 Sep 2022, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:14 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

That was in response to "sea levels are rising everywhere". Again you're misconstruing / mischaracterizing.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:25 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
magz wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Going green is plunging parts of Europe into further economic decline. The UK and France are going to experience a bleak heatless winter.
UK - yes; France - no, they have plenty of nuclear energy to run through this. The most screwed are Germany as their primary fuel supplier turned out, to say the least, unreliable. German policy on it was generally bizarre, closing nuclear plants and opening natural gas plants, wtf?

But this has exactly nothing to do with cutting emissions plans, quite the opposite - if these plans were more advanced and reliance on fossil fuels already reduced, the situation would have been better now.

That's right Germany. I thinking about Macron talking about end of abundance and tough times ahead. I don't think phasing out fossil fuel is a bad idea. And I was advocating nuclear power as far back as the 70s. But the whole green deal is being poorly executed.

I highly doubt that. Even if your profile age were factual, you’d have been 8 years old in 1970.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:26 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

That was in response to "sea levels are rising everywhere". Again you're misconstruing / mischaracterizing.

You’re ignoring that sea levels are not anticipated to rise evenly everywhere.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:32 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Yep, that too.

Meanwhile, in reality, here's a photo of palm trees on the beach in Vancouver.. palm trees on the beach in Canada.

While they are a heartier strain of palm tree, they'd have never survived their first Winter when my grandmother was a little girl. Things are warming up, and climate growing zones are moving North. The fruit and veggies being grown in California won't grow there w/o water & too high of temps soon - they'll grow in Washington State and British Columbia.

But nothing is actually changing. It's a hoax perpetuated by the Chinese because trump said so.

Vancouver is on the west coast, and therefore like Seattle, always been always been known for its temperate winters.
As for California agriculture, most of that comes from the San Joaquin Valley. And currently the San Joaquin Valley is actually experiencing a problem with sinking.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:38 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

You’re ignoring that sea levels are not anticipated to rise evenly everywhere.

No, I'm saying that sea levels have not risen "everywhere" at this time. The prognostications of climate change model algorithms, is another matter.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:43 pm

Here’s a photo of a sea level inspector taking a trip to his local beach on the pacific coast of North America and determining that sea level can’t be rising all over the planet:

convert text to capitals in word

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:21 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
magz wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

That's right Germany. I thinking about Macron talking about end of abundance and tough times ahead. I don't think phasing out fossil fuel is a bad idea. And I was advocating nuclear power as far back as the 70s. But the whole green deal is being poorly executed.

I highly doubt that. Even if your profile age were factual

I've posted photographic evidence of my age.

goldfish21 wrote:
you’d have been 8 years old in 1970.

Did you figure into your calculations that the 70s lasted until 1979, when I was 17? Although I was reflecting on an 8th grade school presentation around 1975. Remember I'm an aspie, so my being up to speed on nuclear energy at the age of 13 shouldn't come as a surprise.

What is the deal with you constantly calling people liars, along with misconstruing what they say and mischaracterizing them?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:34 pm

I don’t believe everything I read on the internet. That’s one of those things.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

I think there's more to it than that.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 10 Sep 2022, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:53 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Surprised you fell down that rabbit hole?

It's not the internet, it's science
https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/weather-climate

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Surprised you fell down that rabbit hole?

It's not the internet, it's science
https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/weather-climate

No he's saying he doesn't believe I could have talked about nuclear power at school when I was 13. That I just made that up for whatever reason.